Has The Me Too Movement Created A Culture That Says Everyone Who Claims Abuse Is Telling The Truth

Has The Me Too Movement Create A Culture That Says Everyone Who Claims Abuse Is Telling The Truth

• Yes

• No

• Whats Me Too

• Other as Disboards unspoken rules say we must have other :)

Results are only viewable after voting.
If this is about Michael Jackson, I never really believed the accusations in the 90’s. There just wasn’t consistent evidence with all the boys rushing to his defense.

Then I watched leaving Neverland. OMG. I believe those 2 guys. Their lives are forever impacted by what happened to them. They appeared broken. Also, the lives of their families. Terrible.

As for believe all accusers, I don’t. People still need to have the presumption of innocence. That is how our system works. If we circumvent that belief, our system doesn’t function anymore. Then people can be falsely convicted and falsely tried in the court of public opinion. Needlessly ruining lives.

I am so sorry. I hope nothing that has been said has offended you. And I hope you got justice.

Nothing said here offends me at all. I’m 26 years out and it has shaped who I have become. Nothing anyone says changes who I am or how I feel about the situation. I would be disingenuous if I said I believed every accusation made by a male or female. Some people have the ability to rape and some the ability to lie about circumstances.

As far as justice is concerned, I did not pursue the rapist for several reasons; really don’t want to go into all that. Here’s the thing though...it’s not over. I’m not the judge but he will meet Him.

Nothing said here offends me at all. I’m 26 years out and it has shaped who I have become. Nothing anyone says changes who I am or how I feel about the situation. I would be disingenuous if I said I believed every accusation made by a male or female. Some people have the ability to rape and some the ability to lie about circumstances.

As far as justice is concerned, I did not pursue the rapist for several reasons; really don’t want to go into all that. Here’s the thing though...it’s not over. I’m not the judge but he will meet Him.

You are right. He will meet the true judge one day.

You sound like someone that went through something horrible and came out the other side stronger than ever. Good for you!

I don't feel its fair to automatically believe or disbelieve any accusation. There are loads of reasons people might make a false accusations (to avoid the stigma/shame of consenting to something they later regret, to get revenge, plain confusion or lack of memory on what happened- especially if drugs or alcohol were involved, to get attention, mental illness, coercion or pressure from others, etc). Likewise, there are loads of obvious reasons why someone who did commit an assault will lie about it. In many cases, it is very difficult if not impossible to prove innocence or guilt. Even the courts sometimes get it wrong. While I think every victim should be empowered to come forward, it's not realistic to assume they are all telling the truth. Victims deserve justice, but those who have been falsely accused also deserve not to have their lives ruined over something they did not do.

My childhood was spent in endless court battles with one member of my family accusing another of sexually abusing me. I spent many years believing it was true, then many more after that questioning it for a plethora of reasons. I will never have 100% certainty on whether it happened or not, or if it did, if the accused was actually the perpetrator. At this point, I'm pretty confident that the accused is innocent and was drug through the mud by someone with a mental illness who either projected her own past onto me or accused the wrong person, likely both... but I will always have that small seed of doubt. Somehow through it all, I still have a relationship with both the accuser and the accused.

My experience has taught me that it is so easy for people to point fingers, make accusations, and be incredibly convincing...on both sides. Sometimes there's overwhelming proof, and sometimes there's just no way to ever know the truth about a situation. While it's great that more women feel empowered to speak out, those who are accused shouldn't automatically be labeled guilty in our rush to want to support anyone who has been victimized. Absolutely if it can be proven that someone is guilty, they should be castrated and left in a cage with ravenous animals to tear them apart. It seems like more often though, people who aren't even involved in the allegations are called out as anti-women simply for not automatically jumping on the bandwagon of "let's fire/boycott/destroy the accused because any woman making an accusation must be believed."

And for what it's worth, even given what I dealt with as a child and some other relevant experiences as an adult that I didn't go into, I too found it ironic what the movement was named and chuckled when I first noticed it. While sexual abuse is never funny, pointing out irony in a name is far from anything I personally choose to get offended over.

It's like you're dancing with fire or something.

So what you're saying is

images

+

13ed8d2000362f7567dd1d7720b3ac25.jpg

=

upload_2019-3-15_10-7-55.jpeg

???

It's interesting that people are saying that we have to believe the victim. It's no wonder my brother is having such difficulty now with life. His ex girlfriend went to jail because she got into a fight in town and continued fighting when it moved from fighting with people to fighting with officers during the arrest. This is why she is an ex now.

So she spent the weekend in jail, came home where my mother was taking care of their 1 year old baby and he was in the bathroom. He came out, saw her, turned around and walked right back into the bathroom to keep away from her. Told her she needed to leave. So she did, right straight to the police. The police called him down to the station. My brother had shoved her down the stairs and choked her, or that is what she reported. The officer asked to see his hands, told her there was no way the size of his hands could make the marks she claims and told her that she had that same black eye when he himself released her from jail, of which she didn't have the black eye going into jail 3 days before.

So now my brother has a PFA against him and hasn't seen his daughter for almost a year. She inflicted the marks on herself while in jail, confirmed by the officer she was reporting abuse to, and still got a PFA out against my brother and he suffers from it. His own life was dang near finished over it.

I don't feel its fair to automatically believe or disbelieve any accusation. There are loads of reasons people might make a false accusations (to avoid the stigma/shame of consenting to something they later regret, to get revenge, plain confusion or lack of memory on what happened- especially if drugs or alcohol were involved, to get attention, mental illness, coercion or pressure from others, etc). Likewise, there are loads of obvious reasons why someone who did commit an assault will lie about it. In many cases, it is very difficult if not impossible to prove innocence or guilt. Even the courts sometimes get it wrong. While I think every victim should be empowered to come forward, it's not realistic to assume they are all telling the truth. Victims deserve justice, but those who have been falsely accused also deserve not to have their lives ruined over something they did not do.

As for believe all accusers, I don’t. People still need to have the presumption of innocence. That is how our system works. If we circumvent that belief, our system doesn’t function anymore. Then people can be falsely convicted and falsely tried in the court of public opinion. Needlessly ruining lives.

This. I don't believe in "shaming & blaming" victims, but I don't believe in making accusations public before conviction, either.

As the mother of a boy, it scares me that his life could someday be ruined just because a girl gets mad at him and makes a false accusation out of spite. (And yes, I get that most accusations are not false - but I'm not willing to let a few innocent people go down just to make sure we catch all the guilty ones.)

When we convict in the court of public opinion, we haven't corrected an imbalance of power, we've simply reversed it.

This. I don't believe in "shaming & blaming" victims, but I don't believe in making accusations public before conviction, either.

As the mother of a boy, it scares me that his life could someday be ruined just because a girl gets mad at him and makes a false accusation out of spite. (And yes, I get that most accusations are not false - but I'm not willing to let a few innocent people go down just to make sure we catch all the guilty ones.)

When we convict in the court of public opinion, we haven't corrected an imbalance of power, we've simply reversed it.

You kind of inadvertently bring up a good point -- all accusers/victims are not female. In fact male accusers/victims probably have the steepest hill of all to climb. Not to say that being abused is easy on anyone. But to be a male victim coming forward really challenges an awful lot of accepted norms and beliefs.

I understand your thoughts about accusations not being made public before conviction, but there's a variety of reasons why a hard and fast policy like that can thwart justice as well. There is a case in our area that hit the news this week when charges were brought and part of the reason is information about multiple victims with charges only possible at this time regarding a single victim who has struggled with the idea of cooperating. So far other victims are refusing to cooperate. The whole thing came to light initially because of a Children's Protective Services investigation. If I understand the situation correctly the cooperating victim was not the subject of the initial CPS report. The accused is in a position of authority over and in contact with children as part of his business. Authorities are hoping the bringing of charges will encourage other victims, including those not yet identified, to come forward.

ETA From what I've seen in our area, the cases that come to court and get news coverage is well under 10-percent. Part of it no doubt stems from most offenders choosing to plead rather than facing trial. Very recently I learned a classmate of my oldest daughter's (elementary, middle and HS) had plead guilty to rape 5 years ago. I've never heard a word about it all this time in our local community or heard about the case when it was going through the process 5 years ago. I only became aware now because I'm working on another case (this one is not a criminal case) involving him and the prior criminal popped up when I began investigation for my report.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter