Has Matterhorn suddenly become the most uncomfortable ride at Disneyland?

The best part of the new Matterhorn is single rider...

Oh, that's another thing. If you had a good experience using single rider here I congratulate you. I'm afraid my experience was not the same.

The first time I rode was on a Saturday afternoon. I forgot that they had a single rider line and so I was in the regular line. Wait time was about 25 minutes with the queue around the far back of the mountain, like it normally is most of the time.

After exiting I got right back in line, but this time used the single rider line. Total wait time was a little over 20 minutes! Single rider made very little difference at all.

As I was waiting, I watched how single rider was being utilized. As you know, the new "trains" are made up of 2 cars with 3 seats each for a total of 6 riders per train. Parties are placed into the loading queue in combinations that make up 6, but they often break your party between the 2 cars. To most guests this isn't obvious until you board and I didn't see anyone who had a problem with it anyway.

So that means that the only time they use a single rider is if they get a total of 5 in a train. Most of the time if they got a party of 3, they would ask for another party of 3 from farther back in the regular line. Many times, 3 groups of 2 were seated in the same train, with the middle pair being divided between the cars.

This means that it takes a very long time before a combination of 5 had to be used and they could fill it with a single rider. In fact, the single rider line was getting so long that at one point they put 4 single riders on a single train just to clear the queue a bit.

But for the most part, the single rider line did not get you boarded quicker and I can see where it has the potential to be slower than the regular queue. Perhaps if they adjust how they are using the single rider queue it will balance out, but right now I would not use the single rider queue.

We'll have to keep our eye on this although because of the other issues mentioned here I doubt I'll be riding much.

I'm an average sized guy - 5'9", 170 lb - and I found sitting in the new matterhorn uncomfortable. There is little leg room (can't imagine if you are a tall person) and it's a jerky ride. Funny, that's not how I remembered it when I last rode it 20 yrs ago. The ride was so rough my kids did not want to ride it again and they are coaster junkies.

I wonder if everyone forgot how uncomfortable the ride was to before the refurb. The track was rough, and the seats equally uncomfortable. The only difference that I noted was that the seats were more cramped for taller guests. But I stopped noticing that after my 3rd or 4th ride.

Just got back from an evening at DL with my dd who insisted on riding again.

This time I insisted on having a middle or back seat. I ended up in the last seat - which I prefer over the front seat of either car. I didn't love it like I used to but it was better.

I am short, 5 feet 2 inches (on a good day, lol) and could not imagine anyone much taller than me being able to sit comfortably in the front. The middle and back seats have a "little more" leg room.

Still I am not as happy with this ride as I was before the change. I have at least found a way to endure it better since it is dds favorite ride.

I'm NOT liking this thread. I'm going to Disneyland in a few days and LOVE the Matterhorn!!!!! :sad2:

I personally don't think you have anything to worry about. There is often more negativity than necessary on these boards because people need things to talk about. They mean well of course. Just go and have a good time. Disneyland has been doing it better than anyone else for over 50 years now. You're in good hands.

Lol I think it has indeed. I don't usually ride it, but I did last time and I know it wasn't that uncomfortable before. I was wincing at the bumpiness the entire time and my cousin refused to ride it again (i think I went twice just to be sure and to even out my bruises). Not only that but I was worried about my previously dislocated knee being tossed around in position - It was ok though, I think I like it for the nostalgia.

Disneyland1084 said:
I'm NOT liking this thread. I'm going to Disneyland in a few days and LOVE the Matterhorn!!!!! :sad2:

Sorry, but its true. Not that the Matterhorn is a bad ride, just that a lot of people find the new cars very uncomfortable. If you love it you love it and our opinions won't stop you.

I personally love the theming plus the great views, but hate the bumpiness. And I don't think we're being overly negative - the bumpiness is very noticeable and painful (in my experience).

I hope you enjoy it anyway!! You'll probably still love it.

And do not forget to warn your kids about the Yeti.

The Yeti scared her years ago and she still refuses to ride it again!

I do not think I have ridden it since. That is sad for me. Next time I go to DL I will have to make a point of riding again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter