Has anyone taken Halcion before dental work?

I went to the dentist this month and was told after a regular cleaning, that I needed a deep cleaning done. I heard about popping this pill option from one dentist office but if it makes you feel drunk, then will you vomit afterwards too?

I can't stand vomit at all so me doing it myself will be scary and not something I want to do.

Besides the pill situation, what is it really, once you take it then what? Do you FEEL THE PAIN OR NOT? I love how NONE of you describe the process.

You take a pill.

I've used it. It's a nervous system depressant. It just "takes the edge off" if you take it as directed. Or it could knock you out.

Yes I understand that part. But after the pill kicks in. DOES IT HURT WHEN THEY DO EVERYTHING ON YOU? That's what I am asking!

Yes I understand that part. But after the pill kicks in. DOES IT HURT WHEN THEY DO EVERYTHING ON YOU? That's what I am asking!
The pill has no effect on the pain part. It's only a relaxer. You'll still get numbing medication (Novocain, for example) during any procedure requiring it.

And, really, no need to shout (all caps is shouting).

The pill makes you not care about the pain...or anything else;) They'll give you novocaine which WILL deaden the pain so you likely won't feel anything other than someone/something is touching you. Modern dentistry is a far cry from what it was even just a few years ago.

The pill makes you not care about the pain...or anything else;) They'll give you novocaine which WILL deaden the pain so you likely won't feel anything other than someone/something is touching you. Modern dentistry is a far cry from what it was even just a few years ago.

Sorry but you are still NOT answering my question. You keep repeating yourself.

Even with the pill in effect, will you still feel the pain of the shot of the Novocaine or whatever they use nowadays, when it hits your gums, will it hurt, as well as all the other tools they use on you, will you feel the pain? How many times do I need to ask this question?

IF you still DO feel the pain, then what is the price tag of being put under COMPLETELY via IV?

Sorry but you are still NOT answering my question. You keep repeating yourself.

Even with the pill in effect, will you still feel the pain of the shot of the Novocaine or whatever they use nowadays, when it hits your gums, will it hurt, as well as all the other tools they use on you, will you feel the pain? How many times do I need to ask this question?

IF you still DO feel the pain, then what is the price tag of being put under COMPLETELY via IV?
As noted, Halcion is a relaxer. It only makes your brain think there's nothing to worry about.

Typically, any Novocaine (or other numbing shot) that you get, they will use a topical gel to numb the surface of your gums before administering the shot.

For a cleaning, I'm not sure it's feasible to numb your whole mouth, though.

Have you ever had any work done at the dentist? Believe me, if your dentist is a good one, he/she doesn't want you to feel pain. They will work with you.

As noted, Halcion is a relaxer. It only makes your brain think there's nothing to worry about.

Typically, any Novocaine (or other numbing shot) that you get, they will use a topical gel to numb the surface of your gums before administering the shot.

For a cleaning, I'm not sure it's feasible to numb your whole mouth, though.

Have you ever had any work done at the dentist? Believe me, if your dentist is a good one, he/she doesn't want you to feel pain. They will work with you.

I have never had any work done on my teeth except basic cleaning's years ago. No serious work or shots ever done to me. Nor do I want any of that work to me because the numbing will NOT work.

I would rather be put to sleep completely to get any work done on me, but heard that is pricey $1,400 price tag and no I do not have any insurance. Since I live in California I do have medi-cal but that does not pay for serious stuff such as deep cleaning's wisdom teeth, cavities etc. So the money would be coming from my pocket,

I would rather be put to sleep completely to get any work done on me, but heard that is pricey $1,400 price tag and no I do not have any insurance. Since I live in California I do have medi-cal but that does not pay for serious stuff such as deep cleaning's wisdom teeth, cavities etc. So the money would be coming from my pocket,
In order to be put completely to sleep, they will need to put an IV in your arm. Will that pain be ok? Or is it just the mouth pain that you are anxious about? My dentist uses a warm water system for cleanings, so no picking. It's nice. I am not sure what they mean by "deep cleaning", i.e. how that differs from a regular cleaning. But it sounds like you have a full-blown phobia about this. My suggestion would be to research and find a dentist that specializes in dental phobias, if yours doesn't, because this whole process is going to be really difficult if you can't find a way to lessen your anxiety about it before you go. It probably makes sense for you to do this cleaning rather than have any problems progress to cavities. As a matter of fact, you should be working super hard to prevent cavities - make sure you floss several times a day, and use an electric toothbrush (you can even buy the cheap ones at WalMart it doesn't have to be expensive). Floss and brush well before you go to sleep every night. Good luck. Just curious are you a generally anxious person to begin with or are you anxious just about this issue?

I would LOVE to be totally knocked out for all dentistry. I couldn't believe it last time that once the dentist was done with me and the hygenist took me for cleaning, I could no longer have gas. I REALLY feel that dentistry is assault...every time I go it's worse...it's not pain - my guy is really good at making it pain free - it's just a sense of total personal invasion.

Why couldn't you have the gas?

I have a huge fear of dentists too, probably stemming from a dentist filling a tooth when I was in 4th grade and didn't use any numbing medication. He said it was just a "tiny" cavity and that I "didn't need it." I felt the pain! And have been fearful ever since. I went almost 20 years without going to one so when I finally did go, I needed a LOT of work done.

I did have gas for just the cleaning. I asked for it and they gave it to me. I think I would have argued with them if they wouldn't let me have it for the cleaning.

For the actual dentist's work I took Valium. One pill before going to bed, another an hour before the procedure. I just felt nice and relaxed. Then I also had the gas for each procedure. They "cranked it up" for me and I almost took a nap. I felt like I didn't even care what they did. I liked that feeling! :) My DH drove me, as it's not safe to drive yourself after medication like that. But within an hour or so of the procedures being done I felt pretty much back to normal and fully functional.

I won't go to a dentist that doesn't use gas. I originally went to Aspen Dental because of their free x-rays/exam but after finding out they don't use gas, I found a different dentist. Gas is a must for me.

EDITED TO ADD: Didn't realize this was a Zombie thread!! :( And that I had posted once on it already!!

Last edited:
I kinda lucked out here. I took a Xanax. No worries, right? Wrong! I took it way too late, like just before the dental work, so I was fully awake and narked off throughout the procedure and spaced out when I got home.

Who'd've thunk it?

I kinda lucked out here. I took a Xanax. No worries, right? Wrong! I took it way too late, like just before the dental work, so I was fully awake and narked off throughout the procedure and spaced out when I got home.

Who'd've thunk it?
I was told to take the Halcion 1/2 hour before leaving for the appointment. Worked for me.

In order to be put completely to sleep, they will need to put an IV in your arm. Will that pain be ok? Or is it just the mouth pain that you are anxious about? My dentist uses a warm water system for cleanings, so no picking. It's nice. I am not sure what they mean by "deep cleaning", i.e. how that differs from a regular cleaning. But it sounds like you have a full-blown phobia about this. My suggestion would be to research and find a dentist that specializes in dental phobias, if yours doesn't, because this whole process is going to be really difficult if you can't find a way to lessen your anxiety about it before you go. It probably makes sense for you to do this cleaning rather than have any problems progress to cavities. As a matter of fact, you should be working super hard to prevent cavities - make sure you floss several times a day, and use an electric toothbrush (you can even buy the cheap ones at WalMart it doesn't have to be expensive). Floss and brush well before you go to sleep every night. Good luck. Just curious are you a generally anxious person to begin with or are you anxious just about this issue?

IV pain would be alright I suppose but honestly I would rather not do this deep cleaning period. BUT if I don't I know it will lead to much bigger problems. What the dentists mean by a deep cleaning is as follows; "A dental deep cleaning, or scaling and root planing, is needed in order to remove bacteria, calculus (tartar), and debris that has collected under the gum line." So they use the pick tool and other tools, to really get into the gums and teeth and pick away at all the gross-ness in your teeth.

Now on September 6th and the week after that September 12th, I went to 2 dentists, the first was for a regular cleaning, X-Ray, minor flossing etc. The nurse did all of this on me, the doctor did not. She just used paste on my teeth, cleaned my teeth, flossed only barely, then did the X-Ray's with the LARGE circular oval thingys. The X-Rays according to them and the SECOND dentist I saw the following week, told me that I had cavities, as well as needed a deep cleaning.

I don't floss at all, because it is too hard for me to do. I was thinking of trying that flossing tool that is on a stick. Not sure what the item is called.

And I use a regular tooth brush. Wouldn't an electric tooth brush even a cheap one be BAD? Because cheap price is NOT cleaning the teeth well enough as an expensive one?

I do brush every night before bed, as well as use mouth wash and yet I told get this bad news from these dentists.

I suffer from mental illness's anxiety, general anxiety disorder as well as depression. Yes I am seeing a therapist for both and no I am not taking any types of medication and no I will not take any medication for this dentist issue at all, in terms of the anxiety or the dentist situation at hand.

And no I have NEVER had serious dental work done on me ever, except a regular cleaning, flossing, and X-Ray.

Why couldn't you have the gas?

I have a huge fear of dentists too, probably stemming from a dentist filling a tooth when I was in 4th grade and didn't use any numbing medication. He said it was just a "tiny" cavity and that I "didn't need it." I felt the pain! And have been fearful ever since. I went almost 20 years without going to one so when I finally did go, I needed a LOT of work done.

I did have gas for just the cleaning. I asked for it and they gave it to me. I think I would have argued with them if they wouldn't let me have it for the cleaning.

For the actual dentist's work I took Valium. One pill before going to bed, another an hour before the procedure. I just felt nice and relaxed. Then I also had the gas for each procedure. They "cranked it up" for me and I almost took a nap. I felt like I didn't even care what they did. I liked that feeling! :) My DH drove me, as it's not safe to drive yourself after medication like that. But within an hour or so of the procedures being done I felt pretty much back to normal and fully functional.

I won't go to a dentist that doesn't use gas. I originally went to Aspen Dental because of their free x-rays/exam but after finding out they don't use gas, I found a different dentist. Gas is a must for me.

EDITED TO ADD: Didn't realize this was a Zombie thread!! :( And that I had posted once on it already!!

Well again you did not express if it hurt or not, even with laughing gas on. Did you feel ANY pain?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter