• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Has anyone seen the new "What's Next" Commercial

lrodk

<font color=009900>No one is immune to the TF's in
Disney has filmed their latest "What are you going to do next" commercial with Barry Bonds and his family as the stars. After hitting his 71st and 72nd home runs to set an all-time record, Disney decided it was note-worthy enough to help increase awareness of the WDW property.

For the ``What's Next'' commercial, Bonds, wife Liz and their children declared together, ``We're going to Disney World!'' The commercial began airing today, and Bonds plans to visit Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando with his family in the coming months.

It has been an oft-repeated moment of celebration since 1987, when Phil Simms of the New York Giants became the focus of the first ``What's Next'' commercial following the Giants' triumph in Super Bowl XXI. Simms, the Giants' quarterback, didn't realize it, but he was introducing an American catchphrase when he shouted, ``I'm going to Disney World!''

Since then, counting Bonds, stars from Super Bowls, Major League Baseball, the NBA, NHL, Olympics, World Cup and more now have been featured in 31 commercials in which they responded to the question, ``What are you going to do next?'' Bonds is the fourth Major League Baseball player to appear in the Disney spots, joining McGwire (1998), Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Orel Hershiser (1988) and Minnesota Twins pitcher Frank Viola (1987).

The commercials are produced and aired on a timetable while the celebration is still going on -- typically on the day after the accomplishment.

Household names of professional sports -- Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Joe Montana, Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Troy Aikman, Jerry Rice, John Elway, Terrell Davis, Mark McGwire and Kurt Warner among them -- have starred in many of the commercials. Others featured include America's soccer darlings from the victorious 1999 U.S. Women's World Cup team; Dennis Conner of America's Cup sailing fame in 1987; and Miss America Gretchen Carlson smiled for the camera in 1988.

Hi Irodk,

DW, DD & I were watching "Don't Look Under the Bed" last night on the DC and I caught this commercial. They sure do get those out there quick!

19 days till we get to say "We're Going to Disney World":p

I just saw it yesterday. It was okay but had no reference to the 100 Years of Magic Celebration! :(

How hard would it have been to say

"I'm going to DisneyWorld to celebrate Walt's 100th anniversary"

You know I don't like celebrities, paticularily petulant, whiners like Bonds...But it seemed like a real good move by Disney to do something that America recognizes as normal. It's like reminding us that WDW is a place we all can go to feel special, even the stars, anytime...

As for not mentioning the celebration, well, I guess they could have, but what they did was what they always do...Something familiar, same words, same theme and I think it rings true with American TV watchers and they probably didn't want to mess with that.
:cool: :cool: :bounce: :cool: :cool:

I didn't see it.
Did Sosa an McGuire do comercials?

Bonds seems like such a non-event. I've heard plenty of talk about why that is, but haven't formed an opinion about it. Personally, I was so wrapped up earlier in the year with the Cubs actually having a good season that I didn't pay attention, then I moved and Sept 11 happened. He just isn't as much in the collective conciousness as SOsa and Mcguire were.

i saw the commercial and the first thought i had was, yuck! what a poor spokesperson for a classy place like disney.... i hope hes not there when i am. :earsgirl: :earsboy: :earsgirl: :earsgirl: :earsboy:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter