Has anyone had a baby/grandbaby in the NICU?

pat fan

Sad my tag won't fit :(
Ugh....what a stressful thing.

My grandson was sent to the "big" hospital after birth to the NICU. Now they are saying he may come home Tuesday or Wednesday, depending...I should be thrilled. I'm terrified!! No really, please keep him til he's 6 months old, ok??? I'm guessing this is normal, yes??

My sister works in a NICU, and my nephew was there for a while when he was born. It's ok to be nervous and paranoid for your grandson's health, but also, be glad your grandson is healthy enough to now leave and live a normal life. There are many babies who are there for months, and months. Some don't make it at all...

Oh I am very grateful for the help he's gotten and the strides he's made, I guess I'm still just a wreck about it all!

Ugh....what a stressful thing.

My grandson was sent to the "big" hospital after birth to the NICU. Now they are saying he may come home Tuesday or Wednesday, depending...I should be thrilled. I'm terrified!! No really, please keep him til he's 6 months old, ok??? I'm guessing this is normal, yes??

Why did he go to NICU? My dd was born at 29 weeks and spent 8 weeks in NICU. She's now 17 and fine.
I don't understand your "normal" question.

My son spent time in the NICU. He was 9 weeks early.

It was awful. The worst part of it was leaving him there. I cried the entire way home. It was a feeling that I will never forget.

He is now 21 years old, attending college and healthy as can be.

Yes, it is normal to worry.

Why did he go to NICU? My dd was born at 29 weeks and spent 8 weeks in NICU. She's now 17 and fine.
I don't understand your "normal" question.
I was asking/saying that the conflicting emotions is "normal".

He had breathing problems mostly. Was 35 weeks. Is jaundiced now but getting better with that. Feeding iv out yesterday. Trying a crib tonight, out of the incubator. Crossed fingers!!!!

My son spent time in the NICU. He was 9 weeks early.

It was awful. The worst part of it was leaving him there. I cried the entire way home. It was a feeling that I will never forget.

He is now 21 years old, attending college and healthy as can be.

Yes, it is normal to worry.
Thank you!!!

Me....my first child born Valentine's day 2009. Not a great experience being a first time mom. I got a fever during his delivery, and his hear rate got really high. He had a little difficulty breathing, but after 14 days on antibiotics and no actual diagnosis he came home. I left to shower, and I slept in a chair for 2 weeks in his room. It scared the crap out of me. He was the healthiest baby in there for sure at the time. Today, he is a sports loving 7 year old with no issues at all! Hang in there. They receive wonderful care in there.

Me....my first child born Valentine's day 2009. Not a great experience being a first time mom. I got a fever during his delivery, and his hear rate got really high. He had a little difficulty breathing, but after 14 days on antibiotics and no actual diagnosis he came home. I left to shower, and I slept in a chair for 2 weeks in his room. It scared the crap out of me. He was the healthiest baby in there for sure at the time. Today, he is a sports loving 7 year old with no issues at all! Hang in there. They receive wonderful care in there.
Thanks. The kids have been troopers. Poor DIL couldn't go with him, no room they said so she had to wait 15 hours before she was transferred to the "big" horpital. Now they are staying in s hotel near the hospital because they won't let them stay IN the hospital yet she has to be there every three hours to feed him. 20 years from now we'll have good stories, now, we pray a lot!!

Yes, my first was in the nicu as well. She had jaundice. It was terrifying, even though I was almost more scared of having them send her home! I had no idea what to do with her! She was okay, though. She's taller than me now, and smarter too. :love:

It's tough and scary, but it will be okay. I'll be sending prayers for your little guy.

Thanks. The kids have been troopers. Poor DIL couldn't go with him, no room they said so she had to wait 15 hours before she was transferred to the "big" horpital. Now they are staying in s hotel near the hospital because they won't let them stay IN the hospital yet she has to be there every three hours to feed him. 20 years from now we'll have good stories, now, we pray a lot!!
We had the same problem. We weren't allowed to stay. There wasn't anywhere for me "to be." My time was limited, by policy. My 'bedside" time was timed almost down to the minute.

And yes, we have so many stories.

Awww, it's definitely normal! Hugs to you and the parents :grouphug: And best wishes to the little one!

I had triplets in the NICU in 2002. 21, 25, and 29 days for my 32 weekers. Ventilator for 1 Cpap for all and 6 months of apnea monitors after discharge.

The emotions are indescribable having a baby in the Nicu.

Hang in there. By lots of purell and keep sick people away from the baby.

Chrissy

My youngest was in the NICU for 3 days because they were worried about her breathing and wanted to keep an eye on her. It was terrifying but at the same time I was grateful that it was only for a short time and that she seemed healthy. There were a lot of babies in the same room and I could see that many of them were very tiny so I felt like I should count my blessings that it was just a precaution. I was nervous to take her home. She even stopped breathing twice after we got home and I had to call 911 but she was I guess just clearing the mucus from her lungs and now she is a happy healthy 15 year old.

My twins were in NICU after birth, and then again a few weeks after coming home for an operation, and it was terrifying and emotionally draining. Your feelings are completely normal :)

On the upside, the doctors and nurses in NICU were some of the most kindest people I've even been in contact with.

Sending good vibes and thoughts your way.

My nephew was born at 26 week, after 11 weeks in the NICU we laid him to rest on Friday. My sister is trying to keep it together for her other children. Most heart breaking time of our live.

My nephew was born at 26 week, after 11 weeks in the NICU we laid him to rest on Friday. My sister is trying to keep it together for her other children. Most heart breaking time of our live.
I'm so sorry. :hug:

My twins were in NICU after birth, and then again a few weeks after coming home for an operation, and it was terrifying and emotionally draining. Your feelings are completely normal :)

On the upside, the doctors and nurses in NICU were some of the most kindest people I've even been in contact with.

Sending good vibes and thoughts your way.
The nurses have been wonderful. Amazing people.

How early was he? I'm assuming he is doing well to be sent home. They aren't going to send him home before he is ready.
Good friends of ours had their baby at 24.5 weeks, he was in the hospital for nearly 6 months before coming home still tube feed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter