Has anyone found sensible car hire prices yet?

I have read they do accept food orders at WDW guest services, but not Cabana Bay. Stopping on the way from MCO is not an option because we do not land until 10pm!
Call me strange, but I look forward to going to Publix!

Ah OK makes sense. :D I do miss shopping in publix but rest of family prefer Walmart.

Publix don't do the wheel of mixed cheesecakes that we get at Walmart. I think my kids look forward to that as much as they do some of the stuff at WDW.

Been looking at quotes for 3 weeks in July - silly prices (even DFCH). Most places were £2000+ for a medium sized car.

But I have found some better prices with BA if you are an Executive Club member - £1800 for the 3 weeks. They have a 7 nights for the price of 5 offer, using Budget.

I've completely given up on the idea of hiring a car this time around (for the first time since 1992). At £2,900 (incl. WDW resort parking fee) it just makes no sense whatsoever. It's always mainly been a convenience thing (bus to Blizzard Beach is not coming, let's hop in the car) rather than a necessity and the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of not having one.

Sure, at £500 with no parking fees it was always a no-brainer for the convenience but at almost £3,000?? nah!

It's going to be Uber or Disney Transportation this time around and maybe try to hire one for a day or two for KSC and Busch Gardens.

So my question is, and I may need to look on other threads for the answer, is who does WDW carless? Do you just rack up at MCO and grab a taxi to your hotel or do you need to pre-book something? Pre-1992 we would have had a package holiday with transfer so I'm a little out of touch.

Any tips anyone?

EDIT: The Mears express shuttle seems like a decent option at $250 return trip, direct to resort. I just looked at the Uber alternative which is about 50% cheaper that that but think the Mears option might be a bit better for our luggage.

Last edited:
Try Mears but just a separate van option rather than the shared shuttle. This for us worked out around the same price (I think it was $280) and they meet you in the luggage claim itself). You can do this from the main mears transport page rather than from the Mears Connect page.

Luckily we jumped on this about one year ago and I was horrified to agree and pay £725.00 for 14 days hire in full size 4dr.

My life how lucky do we feel now with the crazy prices and no sign they are going down anytime soon yet !

So I got a custom quote from Discount Florida Car Hire, and it comes out much cheaper than their website says. Managed to get a quote for an intermediate car for 3 weeks using Alamo for £1455. The cheapest equivalent quote I had got up until then was via Holiday Autos at £1811, and that was even using my work discount code.

So definitely give Discount Florida Car Hire a try.

I’m really struggling with car hire for our upcoming holiday. On our last trip in 2019, we got a week’s car hire in a full size SUV for just over £200. It’s coming up at close to £1000 this year. We are also planning on doing a fly drive down the east coast and none of the car hire companies even have availability to pick up one place and drop off another. In 2019 it was about £400 to pick up in Florida and drop off in Nashville a week later.

We just did Disney in February without a car for the first time and managed absolutely fine when we were staying onsite. We did get some Lyfts offsite and from our hotel to other Disney resorts to save time on connecting buses, but I really found the Disney transportation was perfectly adequate for us. When we moved offsite, it was another story. I think as long as we are onsite, we should be OK not renting this summer.

Not long booked a trip for late 2023, hoping the hire car companies are snapping up every car they can get their hands on to reduce costs. Not sure I can justify £*,*** for a 14 day trip when 75% of time it'll be in a car park.

BTW all prices have started to drop this week with most suppliers, I looked last month at was crica £1300 for my hire and it is now £900.
Hopefully they are slowly coming down due to lack of demand due to the costs or more hire cars are coming back onto fleet, I did speak with a large UK fleet hire firm last week who said they were getting 1500 cars next month.

So out of curiosity I thought I'd use a VPN and check on hire prices.

Budget USA are showing a standard car for around $1,200 for 3 weeks in August so it's definitely more reasonable now.

However, the more planning I've done since deciding I couldn't justify the cost means that I've completely gone off the idea of hiring a car now. In this day and age of Uber/Lyft/Resort parking fee it doesn't seem to make any sense to me for numerous reasons.

I'm quite liking the idea of not having to pick up a car at the airport on arrival. As a family of 4 we each have a large suitcase each and hand luggage. Stuffing all that baggage into even a large car is an ordeal and actually my least favourite part of the holiday. Even worse for the return journey when we've bought all that Disney 'tat' in the Emporium ;-) I've never gone for something like a people carrier though as never needed something that large on a day to day basis.

I've been doing a couple of test bookings on Lyft. Pickup from our Disney Resort to, say, Discovery Cove would be about $30 return. I mean, the resort parking fee is $25 per day! It's an absolute no-brainer.

Hire car from Car Care Center is around $90 per day. I'll be using that to get over to KSC and Busch Gardens but apart from that I'm going to be using either Lyft/Uber/Disney.

Quick question to finish this post off though. Does anyone have a definitive answer/personal experience of the absolute quickest way to get from MCO to Disney? We land at 2:30pm and would love to be picked up in the terminal and whisked off to our resort to get into MK as soon as possible. I've read a few reports of this private transfer but generally have seen both positive and negative reviews.

Dene

I am not from UK but if you use a VPN, just check that you compare comparable options (EU prices usually include tons of insurances, including LIA while US rentals are “bare”).

I am not from UK but if you use a VPN, just check that you compare comparable options (EU prices usually include tons of insurances, including LIA while US rentals are “bare”).

Ahh, yes, very good point.

I've been pricing up daily car hire from the Car Care Center and it was $92 per day. After clicking through and adding all the insurances I wanted it's $138 total. Even more of a reason for me to not hire for the duration of the trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter