Has anyone considered staples?

Laurajean1014

<font color=blue>WISH Biggest Loser/Blue Team<br><
I've read some unbelieveable things about stapling stomachs. The lastest was how a woman went from a size 24 to a 14 in 5 months.

I've tried everything and now I am interested in this. Has anyone information or has done it?

Please advise. L

I haven't. My husband has the sweetest cousin who tried this procedure. She lost weight but gained it all back (plus more). Apparently you can pop the staples if you eat enough, or at least stretch your stomach so you can eat more.

She is trying Atkins now as a last resort before she sees a surgeon for a consultation about gastric bypass roux en y. I hope she can stick with it.

I hope you can get some feedback on this topic.

Is the procedure that you mentioned a saline solution? Whereas, you have a procedure or some type of tube and adjust the amount of saline to keep you from eating?

P/A

She never mentioned a saline solution. She must have had a different procedure.

The roux en y procedure is where the surgeon by-passes your stomach by connecting the small intestine to your esophagus. It is major surgery and I'm hoping she won't have to have it.

I really love her though and want her to stay healthy and if that's what it takes I support her 100%.

Have you spoken to your doctor about this? I would see what he/she has to say but my opinion is to try everything first and use this as a last resort. I look at people like Al Roker who have had amazing results though. But the death rate is really quite high and I wouldn't do it myself.

Good luck to you & hope you get the answers you need.

I have to agree with Liz, I would check with my doctor first.

With that said since you are asking I will give my two cents. The death rate is high, I know two friends who had friends that tried this procedure and they never left the hospital because they died. As a matter of fact, if my memory serves me correctly, there is a DISer whose sister had this surgery and passed away a couple of years ago. Also, I worked with a lady who had the gastric bypass surgery and like Katholyn said, she ate too much and popped the staples and regained everything she lost then some.

It looks wonderful when you see Al Roker and Carnie Wilson, but I am selfish, I would rather live my life as it is then risk leaving this world we live in.

:bounce::wave::bounce:

About 2 months ago a young mother, I believe her child is less than one year, had this surgery but within 2 wks died. The surgery was the cause of death. If you choose this please make sure you know all the risks and do exactly what they say.

Good morning, Laurajean!

Have you read many of the posts on this board? What programs have you tried previously? I think we have a bix mix of things here, from WW to Atkins to versions of Atkins to nutritionist recommended programs, to made up at home programs, etc.

We're a very supportive group of people. If you are thinking about giving it another whirl before you consider surgery, please think about joining WISH and participating with us. We have a weekly check in for weight loss, some daily check ins for exercise, and all sorts of posts in between announcing victories or asking for motivation to stay on track.

Good luck whatever you decide is right for you! I hope to see you around here more often! :)

I consider surgery to be the very last thing to consider, and even then it needs only be considered by folks who are morbidly obese and at risk. Even before surgery, though, there are so many other approaches to consider. If you can't see trying another Weight Watchers type program, and can't see succeeding at weight-management on your own, then perhaps it is time to consider medically-supervised weight-loss. There are three nationally-recognized programs. I used Health Management Resources (HMR) -- it was offered through a clinic attached to our local hospital, and has a remarkable success rate (22% -- almost five times better than Weight Watchers). Please let me know if you'd like more information.

bicker,

I would like info on HMR. Over the summer, I went to a nutionist and most of her diets did not work. She wanted me to eat only protein to go into kytosis, but I never really got there. I tried a supplemental diet (2 puddings, shakes, soups a day) and an all protein and vegatable dinner. Athough I nearly cheated every day, I managed to loose 22 lbs.

However, in November, I was told that I was losing my job and I stopped going to the nutrionist due to the high cost. Well, I am 5 lbs. from my highest weight ever, so the down spiral is starting again. I have no will power -

Funny, I wanted to stop smoking 17 years ago and I did. It was the easiest thing I ever gave up!!!! But I cannot give up food. I am adicted!

Is there any solution for me?

Laurajean,

I had RNY surgery which is a form or stomach stapling. I've lost 79lbs in 4 1/2 months and over 52 inches total. Contrary to popular belief the death rate is NOT high. It is 1 in 200 which is .5%. In most cases death occurs to those that were already super morbidly obese and were a very high risk going into the surgery. The other most common risk is a blood clot. This is a very serious surgery and definately needs to be researched, researched, researched before jumping into it. Surgery is a TOOL. You will still have to watch what and how much you eat. You will have to take vitamins for the rest of your life and pretty much stick to the Atkins diet. (high protein, low carb) If you want more thorough information please check out Obesityhelp.com. It is a wonderful website with a wealth of information and support. You may also PM or email me if you'd like to discuss it further. (be sure that your PMs or email is open if you'd like me to respond) I will not sugar coat it and by no means try to promote the surgery. It is a LAST resort when you feel you have done it all and nothing else will work. I wish you the best in whatever you choose to do.

Originally posted by Laurajean1014
I would like info on HMR.
I've posted this a bit before, but here's some excepts from my summary . . .
<BLOCKQUOTE>
I did a lot of research. I investigated drugs, surgery, and every regimen I could get my hands on data for. In the end, my decision would be governed primarily by one metric; the ultimate success rate metric for weight-loss: percentage of weight-lost maintained over a two-year period. The program was a medically-supervised very-low calorie diet, through a clinic of Newton-Wellesly Hospital, here in Massachusetts, operated by Health Management Resources. Their "success rate" has been pegged by external researchers at about 22% (compared to 5% for Weight Watchers, for example).

I spent about 13 weeks on a primarily liquid diet of protein shakes, working up from 5000 calories per week to about 8000. I built up my exercise from about 1200 calories per week to about 2000 calories per week during that time. I lost about 45 pounds, and had a completely different outlook on life. I was feeling stronger and better than I ever had on other diets, which did not take into consideration the amount of protein necessary to safeguard muscle mass. Rather than running out of steam, I was just getting started.

I had been supplementing the liquid shakes with pre-packaged low-cal entrees at times ("never get hungry" was the rule), and my second 13 weeks build on those to a greater extent, as well as adding in fruits and vegetables over time.

After about seven months I had lost all the weight I had gained over the previous ten years, and was at 175, the top of the "healthy range" for my height. I transitioned into maintenance, and kept up my calorie balancing and exercise regimen, averaging about 3000 calories of physical activity per week, spread among walking, biking, hiking, yoga, Viniyasa (power yoga), and later kayaking.

I feel that the focus on getting enough protein, and making sure I was doing enough weight-bearing exercise, was key in helping me continue to lose weight, until I reached what I consider an ideal weight for me, which I reached about four months ago. I've fluttered around that mark since then, but haven't gone more than +2 or -2 from there, now being sure to balance my expenditure with adequate intake each week.

So, that's my story, what I hope can be considered a success story, in time. Having gotten to a healthy weight once before, and maintained that healthy weight for what many consider the long-term, I feel confident that I'm much better positioned this time. I lost remarkably little muscle mass this time. (Indeed, I had to lose some, since my muscle mass when I started was higher than my current total weight!) I'm building up muscle, which will help me burn-off any excess caloric intake that happens to slip by my vigilant food journaling, not to mention safeguard my back from the disease that threatens it.

My weight management program relies heavily on use of meal replacements (such as protein shakes and low-calorie pre-portioned entres), fruits and vegetables, exercise, and support. Weekly meetings help reinforce what we've learned and what we live, and each week we undertake exercises -- specific challenges -- around one of the keystones of the lifestyle we now embrace. For example, this week, the assignment is to have two "high PA" days -- days with greater than average exercise expenditure.
</BLOCKQUOTE>
Here's a bit about what I've learned from HMR:
<BLOCKQUOTE>
1. Make changes for life.

View changes as a permanent change in life-style,
rather than changes made to accomplish weight loss.

2. Don't leave anything to chance.

Do detailed meal-planning. Know, in advance, what
you'll likely be eating each day. Make sure you
have everything you need, on hand, in order to
make those plans work.

3. Control your environment.

If you're going to be in a situation where there
will lots of temptation to vary from your plan,
make sure you bring along whatever you need to
help you deal with that temptation. For me,
that means bringing my own snack replacements
whenever I attend a party where there will be
sweets.

4. Journal incessantly.

Log every bit of food your eat, as soon as you
eat it. We say, "Mouth to hand." Note when,
what, how much, and how many calories. By
similarly keeping track of your exercise as
well, you can quickly come to learn exactly how
many net calories is the right amount for your
weight loss or weight management goals, and that
helps you say "no" when you see how much any
temptation impacts those numbers.

5. Exercise every day.

Aim for 2000 calories burned per week. ("10000
steps" will typically get you there.) Vary your
exercise to ensure you're getting some aerobic
exercise and some weight-bearing exercise. Get
yourself to the point where you become annoyed
if you can't get your exercise in.

6. Eat a balanced, low-calorie diet.

Start evaluating food based on nutrition, not just
taste or personal preference. Choose foods with
great ratios, such as protein grams per calorie.

7. Use meal replacements and snack replacements.

Use meal replacements as tool to crowd out higher-
calorie foods. Instead of a bagel and cream
cheese, have a protein shake, getting far more
nutrition, saving 300 calories, and resulting in
longer-term satiety. Instead of a slice of pizza,
have a low-calorie packaged entree, again with
better nutrition, calorie ratios, and satiety.
Use only high-quality meal replacements, with
excellent nutritional stats, and little or no
sugar.

8. Get and give support.

Participate consistently in efforts that support
your weight loss and weight management and overall
health goals. Work with a support group, a group
of friends as committed as you are, or with your
spouse.

9. Reward yourself.

Reward yourself for following your plans, but
don't ever reward yourself with food. Don't
worry about rewarding yourself for your success;
success is its own reward.

10. Keep your priorities straight.

Recognize and remember that your health is, and
always should be your #1 priority -- that all other
considerations are secondary because they all rely
on your health. This means that you can say "no"
to invitations to parties that you don't feel you
will be able to have adequate control over
temptation. It means that you can delay the start
of your day out with friends, so you have enough
time to complete your exercise.
</BLOCKQUOTE>
Okay, back to your message...
However, in November, I was told that I was losing my job and I stopped going to the nutrionist due to the high cost. Well, I am 5 lbs. from my highest weight ever, so the down spiral is starting again. I have no will power -
Unfortunately, a program like HMR is expensive. It is nothing short of suicide to attempt it without weekly medical supervision, completle with blood-tests, group support meetings, and one-on-one support calls. It is a shame that this sort of support, as successful as it is, costs so much. I have found no other way to get the advantage of safe and effective weight loss, in a timeframe that most people can readily maintain their motivation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter