• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Harry Potter is killing me

I agree-do it if you can!

My DD is 11 and is a huge HP fan! HUGE! She starting reading HP in 1st grade. I think HP helped develop her love of reading. She's been reading at 13.0 for years now (the highest they test to in Elementary)

That being said when we went to WDW last fall we discussed not going to see HP at US since everything I read said it was crazy crowded! She actually willingly agreed. ;) However, she knows that we try to go to WDW every fall so if we skipped it last year we would probably do it this year. And we will if we go this fall.

I've heard amazing things about the HP ride and can't wait to ride it myself as well as seeing the whole HP land.

We love the Harry Potter books and movies.

We will NOT be going to Universal.

- WWOHP is not a world. It is a few rides and at best a "land."
- The rides are roller coasters that only two family members will ride.
- Because of the ride limitations, the only thing the rest of the family can do is visit the HP shops.
- WWOHP is a crowded mess.
- Universal will not let me in with my camera.
- The money would be better spent at WDW or Seaworld since everyone in the family can find something enjoyable at those places.
- The ONLY reason we would go to Universal is WWOHP but it does not make money sense to go to a "land" while paying for a World that does not exist.

Later,
Dan

WWOHP is a "land" inside Islands of Adventure - it is not a park of its own and has not been promoted as such.

While HP and the Forbidden Journey and Dragon Challenge are intense rides, Flight of the Hippogriff is a much better version of Goofy's Barnstormer. Your family might not like it, but I couldn't get my then 7-year old off it. It is a fun ride, but not a thrill ride.

WWOHP can be very crowded since it is very popular and Universal did such a great job bringing Hogwarts and Hogsmeade to life, but Disney can be crazy crowded too. People who plan enjoy it immensely. We planned well and had a great time last July - it was hot and crowded, and WWOHP was brand new. It was still awesome.

Not sure what kind of camera you have, but DH brought in his very nice Nikon DSLR and got awesome pictures. We also brought a Flip and two point and shoot digital cameras, so I'm not sure why your camera would be a problem.

If you are only going for WWOHP, then maybe it is not worth it to your family, since you only care about the rides you won't do. Both Universal and Islands of Adventure have lots of rides for all members of the family. My kids enjoyed both parks even before WWOHP opened.

Most true fans of the books and movies are thrilled to go into Honeydukes and Three Broomsticks, take the Castle Tour of Hogwarts, check out the Owl Post, look at the interactive windows, take their pictures in front of the Hogwarts Express, hear the Frog Choir, hear Moaning Myrtle in the bathrooms, see the shadows of the house elves at Three Broomsticks, taste butterbeer and cauldron cakes, and have the chance to have a wand choose them at Ollivander's. After that, they can also enjoy the other rides that Islands of Adventure has to offer, included one of the best-themed kids' areas in Orlando (Seuss Landing) and the ride that frequently tops the list of best rides in Orlando (Spiderman). If none of that matters to the "fans" in your family, I agree that you are better off at Sea World. ;)

WWOHP is a "land" inside Islands of Adventure - it is not a park of its own and has not been promoted as such.

While HP and the Forbidden Journey and Dragon Challenge are intense rides, Flight of the Hippogriff is a much better version of Goofy's Barnstormer. Your family might not like it, but I couldn't get my then 7-year old off it. It is a fun ride, but not a thrill ride. FS is amazing and we couldn't get my 8 yo off FotH either.

WWOHP can be very crowded since it is very popular and Universal did such a great job bringing Hogwarts and Hogsmeade to life, but Disney can be crazy crowded too. People who plan enjoy it immensely. We planned well and had a great time last July - it was hot and crowded, and WWOHP was brand new. It was still awesome. With some planning the crowds are VERY manageable

Not sure what kind of camera you have, but DH brought in his very nice Nikon DSLR and got awesome pictures. We also brought a Flip and two point and shoot digital cameras, so I'm not sure why your camera would be a problem. I rode FJ with my camera on my belt

If you are only going for WWOHP, then maybe it is not worth it to your family, since you only care about the rides you won't do. Both Universal and Islands of Adventure have lots of rides for all members of the family. My kids enjoyed both parks even before WWOHP opened. We went to Universal solely for HP and were pleasantly surprised by the rest of the park as well. Seussland was our 2nd fav. :)

Most true fans of the books and movies are thrilled to go into Honeydukes and Three Broomsticks, take the Castle Tour of Hogwarts, check out the Owl Post, look at the interactive windows, take their pictures in front of the Hogwarts Express, hear the Frog Choir, hear Moaning Myrtle in the bathrooms, see the shadows of the house elves at Three Broomsticks, taste butterbeer and cauldron cakes, and have the chance to have a wand choose them at Ollivander's. After that, they can also enjoy the other rides that Islands of Adventure has to offer, included one of the best-themed kids' areas in Orlando (Seuss Landing) and the ride that frequently tops the list of best rides in Orlando (Spiderman). If none of that matters to the "fans" in your family, I agree that you are better off at Sea World. ;)

Agree again...I am a huge HP fan and I would go back tomorrow. Our biggest disappointment was that there wasn't more to do but hopefully that will change in the future. :)

Chance of a day trip to WWOHP on our next WDW trip-well thad be 100%. :thumbsup2

Most true fans of the books and movies are thrilled to go into Honeydukes and Three Broomsticks, take the Castle Tour of Hogwarts, check out the Owl Post, look at the interactive windows, take their pictures in front of the Hogwarts Express, hear the Frog Choir, hear Moaning Myrtle in the bathrooms, see the shadows of the house elves at Three Broomsticks, taste butterbeer and cauldron cakes, and have the chance to have a wand choose them at Ollivander's.

I totally agree. I missed out on most of the FJ (had to close my eyes because the combination of simulated + actual motion made me really nauseous), skipped Dueling Dragons (because there was no one else in my party who wanted to ride and I'd already been on it as Fire & Ice*), and Flight of the Hippogriff. Despite all that, the trip to IOA to see the WWOHP was still 110% worth it.

*As a sidenote, it's a great roller coaster (on either track).

I totally agree. I missed out on most of the FJ (had to close my eyes because the combination of simulated + actual motion made me really nauseous), skipped Dueling Dragons (because there was no one else in my party who wanted to ride and I'd already been on it as Fire & Ice*), and Flight of the Hippogriff. Despite all that, the trip to IOA to see the WWOHP was still 110% worth it.

*As a sidenote, it's a great roller coaster (on either track).

I didn't ride DD but I did enjoy walking the queue with ds.

While HP and the Forbidden Journey and Dragon Challenge are intense rides, Flight of the Hippogriff is a much better version of Goofy's Barnstormer. Your family might not like it, but I couldn't get my then 7-year old off it. It is a fun ride, but not a thrill ride.

WWOHP can be very crowded since it is very popular and Universal did such a great job bringing Hogwarts and Hogsmeade to life, but Disney can be crazy crowded too. People who plan enjoy it immensely. We planned well and had a great time last July - it was hot and crowded, and WWOHP was brand new. It was still awesome.

Not sure what kind of camera you have, but DH brought in his very nice Nikon DSLR and got awesome pictures. We also brought a Flip and two point and shoot digital cameras, so I'm not sure why your camera would be a problem.

If you are only going for WWOHP, then maybe it is not worth it to your family, since you only care about the rides you won't do. Both Universal and Islands of Adventure have lots of rides for all members of the family. My kids enjoyed both parks even before WWOHP opened.

Wizarding WORLD of Harry Potter. Three rides is not a world or really a land. DW will not ride barnstormer. Even if she would/could, going to Universal for one ride is daft. The kids can buy and already have wands. Butter beer, even in the movies/books sounds disgusting. :rotfl: What I read Universal is selling sounds worse. :scared1:

It simply is not worth my dollar to visit HP which has three rides that at least two of my family will not/cannot ride. Since the family is really into roller coasters there is not much for us at Universal. I was hoping that WWORLDoHP would be something worth seeing but for us it is not worth the time much less the money.

On the podcast they have reported that getting in with DSLRs is not allowed and that they check bags prior to entering Universal. If they judge the camera is "pro" level you cannot bring it in. Which is more than stupid for so many reasons.

I have a Nikon D700 and it is a pro level camera. Whatever "pro" means. So it sounds like I would not be let into the park. I am not leaving a $2,500 camera in the car. Not to mention lenses. If I had not heard this on the DIS Podcast and went to Universal and was refused entry with my camera I would have been more than ticked off. Glad I heard it on the Podcast.

We are "true fans" of Harry Potter. When Universal has more than a few rides and stores, aka a WORLD, as they advertise, we might go. If they let in my camera.

I have been at WDW at XMAS and Thanksgiving. It has never been anything like what I have seen and heard about at Universal for WWorldOHP.

For our family, we would not go to Universal at all. The only reason we thought of going is because of WWorldOHP. We really hoped it would be worth visiting but for our family, it is not worth the drive down I4 from WDW.

The OP wanted reasons why he should not go. Here are our reasons WE will not visit Universal/WWorldOHP. :)

Later,
Dan

We're going to WDW for 10 days in August, and we are going to spend 2 of those days at Universal. My DS14 loves Harry Potter, I've never read a book or seen a movie. Well, that is, until this past Tuesday, we watched the first movie. He now has me on the crash course of HP movies, and told me I should read the books as well. The things we do for our kids!! I'm a Disney addict, but I'm going to Universal!!:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Wizarding WORLD of Harry Potter. Three rides is not a world or really a land. DW will not ride barnstormer. Even if she would/could, going to Universal for one ride is daft. The kids can buy and already have wands. Butter beer, even in the movies/books sounds disgusting. :rotfl: What I read Universal is selling sounds worse. :scared1:

It simply is not worth my dollar to visit HP which has three rides that at least two of my family will not/cannot ride. Since the family is really into roller coasters there is not much for us at Universal. I was hoping that WWORLDoHP would be something worth seeing but for us it is not worth the time much less the money.

On the podcast they have reported that getting in with DSLRs is not allowed and that they check bags prior to entering Universal. If they judge the camera is "pro" level you cannot bring it in. Which is more than stupid for so many reasons.

I have a Nikon D700 and it is a pro level camera. Whatever "pro" means. So it sounds like I would not be let into the park. I am not leaving a $2,500 camera in the car. Not to mention lenses. If I had not heard this on the DIS Podcast and went to Universal and was refused entry with my camera I would have been more than ticked off. Glad I heard it on the Podcast.

We are "true fans" of Harry Potter. When Universal has more than a few rides and stores, aka a WORLD, as they advertise, we might go. If they let in my camera.

I have been at WDW at XMAS and Thanksgiving. It has never been anything like what I have seen and heard about at Universal for WWorldOHP.

For our family, we would not go to Universal at all. The only reason we thought of going is because of WWorldOHP. We really hoped it would be worth visiting but for our family, it is not worth the drive down I4 from WDW.

The OP wanted reasons why he should not go. Here are our reasons WE will not visit Universal/WWorldOHP. :)

Later,
Dan

I'm not trying to suggest that it is worth it for your family - clearly it is not. But your first post was misleading and I wanted to present the other side from someone who has actually been there.

We went last July, and the crowds were nowhere near Disney at Christmas or Spring Break (I haven't been there at Thanksgiving, but I can't imagine it is worse than Christmas and Easter). We went one month after WWOHP opened. If you were there on opening day, it looked like it was frightening, but even peak summer days are not insane.

We'll just have to disagree on what makes a Wizarding WORLD. Besides the rides, the village of Hogsmeade was faithfully and painstakingly recreated. The castle tour is awesome, and we enjoyed seeing the technology as well as the props from the movies. You probably wouldn't - to each his own. It would have been worth it to our family without the rides, plus we enjoy the rest of Islands of Adventure.

DH has a Nikon DSLR and brought in a backpack of lenses - although the bag was searched and the security guy oohed and aahed over his camera equipment, no one said he couldn't bring it in. This was last summer - maybe things have changed, but I hope not. I have no idea if it is considered a "pro" camera or not - maybe it makes the cut as a hobby camera. I know it is better than the Disney Photopass people use, because they always want to see his camera instead of taking pictures with theirs. :rotfl2:

The cost of admission includes all of Islands of Adventure, not just WWOHP. It still might not be worth it to you, but the one day ticket price is not just for three rides.

It is a little thin yet-but thought I heard the may expand. The old D Dragons alone though and Hulk/SpMAN are great.

We once did something like Poseidon (or something) which would be right next to WWOHP and it was super cool, but not a great show- never went again. But it seems like a perfect attraction to convert to something related to HP-like the cave with the snake in one of the earlier movies.

This was outside:

IOAPS.jpg

ioapsdn.jpg

Until my last trip, I'd never gone off Disney property in Florida. We spent 2 days at Universal. Totally worth it!

They did a fantastic job with the Harry Potter section of Islands of Adventure. The frozen butterbeer alone makes it worth it, lol. I was pleasantly surprised by the rest of the rides at IoA...Spiderman blew me away. At Universal, the Mummy is fantastic.

It was expensive to add Universal to the trip, but it was my first trip for my SO and he didn't want to be in Disney 24/7, plus we both love Harry Potter.

I love Disney through and through since 1979 and have 11 trips under my belt but I also have thoroughly enjoyed every Universal visit and trip. You should give your daughter a chance to see Harry!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter