Hard to believe it is June and the crowds at WDW are this light!

WebmasterMike

When Yuba plays the Rumba on his Tuba...
My DS (15) and I have been at the parks for a couple of days and we are amazed at the light crowds. Most of the rides have been near walk-on for us. It reminds me of crowd sizes in January-February from 7-10 years ago.

I'd attribute it to the SWGE effect. Got to believe that a lot of potential visitors are waiting for that to open.

There also might be an impact from Universal opening a new thrill ride this week. Perhaps that has drawn some visitors to that park.

We hope for not so bad crowds in late fall since we cannot do a summer trip with dh having to do Cardiac Rehab for 2-3 months plus fluid restrictions/salt intake. Our next trip---fly for maybe a short trip...maybe for food and wine.

Right...

So there are two opposing theories on SWGE and its impact on crowds:
1) People will wait until it opens before going to WDW
2) People won't go anywhere near that time because it will be packed

I imagine those two mindsets offset each other and effectively cancel out, as far as crowd levels now vs then.

I think the reason the crowds aren't bad this summer is the same reason why it has gotten less crowded each summer:
People are going at other times of the year. We see that with discussion throughout the year, where historically less crowded times are now more crowded. I know many people who now avoid summer WDW trips and moved them to other seasons, even if it means pulling their kids out of school. This is backed up by the fact that even last year there were pretty substantial discounts for WDW during the summer.

TLDR: I doubt SWGE has much to do with the low crowds. It seems the reason people don't want to visit in the summer is that it's hot and non-regulars still assume the summer is when it’s most crowded. I mean, I live in Alabama and have had an AP for many years up until this year and I wouldn’t even go to WDW.

Its more than likely SWGE - ppl moved their trips around to be there for the opening timeframe

Also, people who are planning that "once in a lifetime" trip are waiting until 2021 for the 50th

I doubt the people planning the "once in a lifetime" trip know about the 50th. Its most likely the Star Wars effect.

I can't wait for my trip in 50 days. If I have to endure the heat, it'll have a silver lining if it's not crowded.

I agree.

I am showing up the day you leave. I do see more and more people simply blocking out June-August, or at least being extremely hesitant due to the heat. While it can be bad, I think with some planning for cool down and pool breaks it is easily manageable.

I know I'll run outside a few days a week midday no matter how hot is it, in order to get ready for the FL heat.

Fingers crossed it stays this way!!

I agree.

I am showing up the day you leave. I do see more and more people simply blocking out June-August, or at least being extremely hesitant due to the heat. While it can be bad, I think with some planning for cool down and pool breaks it is easily manageable.

I know I'll run outside a few days a week midday no matter how hot is it, in order to get ready for the FL heat.

Fingers crossed it stays this way!!
Have a magical trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter