Happily Ever After Begins Here -- An Oct. 2012 TR Updated! 11/17!

'Ohana is so freaking good! Seriously, it's our must-do on every trip. They serve the salad, appetizers and dessert family style and then bring all the different meats around on a skewer and it's all you can eat. Everything is really yummy.

We have found that we enjoy 'Ohana when we have a later ADR. Earlier in the evening (at more normal dinner times), the restaurant is so busy that dinner can feel a bit rushed. So we now aim for post-fireworks ADRs there and we get to have a lovely, leisurely meal.

Your trips sound AWESOME! Where in Europe are you going to go? We went to Europe in 2011. We started in Prague, then went to London, Paris :-)love:) and Amsterdam. It was an amazing trip and we can't wait to go back.

Oh! Ohana does sound amazing! I'll have to add that to our list for our next trip. Thanks for the tip on when to go. I hate being rushed, although it seems to be the standard with Disney Dining.

For our Eurotrip, we'll probably take a Mediterranean cruise. The ones we've looked at stop in places like Barcelona, Florence/ Pisa, Rome, Nice, Croatia, Venice, Naples. I did something similar a few years ago, but that was before my husband. We are super excited to get to share these experiences. I'd really like to get to Paris, London, and Ireland, but we'll probably wait on those until the next time.​

I'm joining in a bit late, but congratulations on your engagement! I hope you enjoy planning your wedding. Franklin's photos are stunning, and I look forward to both reading and seeing more! :)

You're not late at all, thanks for joining in! Wedding plans are rolling right along. We started the design process for our save-the-date cards and invitations. Next up is a showdown with my dad over how many of his friends he wants to invite. :rotfl:

I've been reading along, but just found time to post now.

I love all of your cute themed disney outfits!

Food and wine looks so good and I always think about planning a trip for that time of year.

I vote that you got the avocado marg, that one seems super popular!

Thanks for coming out of lurkdom! I do love putting together my Disney outfits. I just got another order of bows, which wouldn't fit in the box I had them all in. So I had to get a bigger box! :eek:

Food and Wine is so much fun, it has become our absolute favorite time to go to Disney.

Good guess with the avocado margarita, but no dice!

Just watched the Soarin' video. So great! Thanks for posting.

Watching it just made the stress of the day, melt away! :goodvibes

Glad you enjoyed the virtual flight!

Picture me with my hand waving wildly in the air. I want to be in Epcot right now! Me! Me! Me!

I'm not sure I could drink a candy bar. I can barely eat them, too sweet for me!

Love the plans for AK day!

I want to be in Epcot too!!! Three weeks from right now, we'll be checking into our "home" Boardwalk. :cloud9: And since we are three weeks out, it's time to start the countdown. I'll put the first entry up later today!

'Ohana is so freaking good! Seriously, it's our must-do on every trip. They serve the salad, appetizers and dessert family style and then bring all the different meats around on a skewer and it's all you can eat. Everything is really yummy.

We have found that we enjoy 'Ohana when we have a later ADR. Earlier in the evening (at more normal dinner times), the restaurant is so busy that dinner can feel a bit rushed. So we now aim for post-fireworks ADRs there and we get to have a lovely, leisurely meal.

Your trips sound AWESOME! Where in Europe are you going to go? We went to Europe in 2011. We started in Prague, then went to London, Paris :-)love:) and Amsterdam. It was an amazing trip and we can't wait to go back.

Oh! Ohana does sound amazing! I'll have to add that to our list for our next trip. Thanks for the tip on when to go. I hate being rushed, although it seems to be the standard with Disney Dining.

For our Eurotrip, we'll probably take a Mediterranean cruise. The ones we've looked at stop in places like Barcelona, Florence/ Pisa, Rome, Nice, Croatia, Venice, Naples. I did something similar a few years ago, but that was before my husband. We are super excited to get to share these experiences. I'd really like to get to Paris, London, and Ireland, but we'll probably wait on those until the next time.

You really should try 'Ohana. And don't let the mixed reviews on the restaurants board fool you, we've been three times and never had a bad meal!

The Eurotrip sounds amazing. I really wanted to include Italy on our trip, but decided that country needed its own trip, so one day we'll get there. :goodvibes

Favorite Disney Restaurants

No. 21 -- Sci-Fi Dine-In

DSC_2143-L.jpg

Here’s the God’s honest truth, the CS locations at Disney’s Hollywood Studios really, really stink. So you won’t ever find us planning for a CS meal at that park. It’s TS or bust for us there.

Sci-Fi Dine-In is a really fun restaurant. The food is mainly burgers-type fare.

DSC_2142-L.jpg

But the real stars of the show are the shakes and desserts...

DSC_6519-L.jpg

DSC_6547-L.jpg

… and, of course, the really awesome atmosphere.

DSC_2121-L.jpg

I mean where else on Earth can you eat dinner at a table, in a car, at a drive-in movie theater?

DSC_6509-L.jpg

We love Sci-Fi, and eat there every trip.

The food is only okay, but the atmosphere is so great. Good fun!

Love Boma for breakfast...:thumbsup2 (Also love the AKL)... can't even imagine all the awesome photos he'll get while you're there...

(Speaking of Photos...Franklin's info on the Canon s110... has me on the lookout... I'm pretty convinced it would be a great camera for me...I need to track one down in the area...which I'm sure will be easy enough... I want it by next month... February- so I can nail the instruction manual in time for our Spring Break in March in Rome...and then for Charleston, Savannah & Disney, etc. in July...:goodvibes) SO BIG thanks for the tip...

Did you go for the Avocado Margarita? I had one... it was good but it was sweet... I believe it has Midori in it? Something more savory?

If you go for bluezoo... have to hear all about that... have read awesome things about it...:thumbsup2

I really love Sci Fi... it's its own attraction, great atmosphere, great film clips, very good burgers and shakes... It's just a lot of fun... (I don't go there for the "foodie" in me... but the burgers and shakes do satisfy...;) you go there for the entire "experience"

You're right about the CS in the Studios; kind of limited...:confused3:confused3

Why ARE the CS options so bad at DHS?? :confused3 Totally agree with you that TS is the way to go in that park with a lot of good options. As always you have some fantastic pictures. My one experience with Sci Fi wasn't great in terms of service but I just may need to give it another shot. LOVE the atmosphere! And tough to beat a good burger!

I totally agree with you about Hollywood Studios. The best CS in HS is in EPCOT! :lmao:

Sci Fi has been our go-to lunch the past few times on trips to HS, or if we are leaving around lunch time, we just hop onto a Friendship Boat and don't stop until we get to the International Gateway.

I have to say, though, that hands down the nastiest thing I have ever eaten at Disney is the shrimp pasta at the Sci Fi. And I got no sympathy from my family... "WHY did you order shrimp at a burger place?"

I don't know, but learn from my mistake. Stick with the burgers or sandwiches.

We love Sci-Fi, and eat there every trip.

The food is only okay, but the atmosphere is so great. Good fun!

We feel the same way. The food is so-so, but the restaurant is so much fun!

Love Boma for breakfast...:thumbsup2 (Also love the AKL)... can't even imagine all the awesome photos he'll get while you're there...

(Speaking of Photos...Franklin's info on the Canon s110... has me on the lookout... I'm pretty convinced it would be a great camera for me...I need to track one down in the area...which I'm sure will be easy enough... I want it by next month... February- so I can nail the instruction manual in time for our Spring Break in March in Rome...and then for Charleston, Savannah & Disney, etc. in July...:goodvibes) SO BIG thanks for the tip...

We have become BIG fans of AKL... and Boma! And I guarantee his photos of AKL will knock your socks off. You know, assuming I get a move on with this TR! :lmao:

Did you go for the Avocado Margarita? I had one... it was good but it was sweet... I believe it has Midori in it? Something more savory?

If you go for bluezoo... have to hear all about that... have read awesome things about it...:thumbsup2

Great guess on the margarita, but no dice. Anyone else have any other guesses?

That Bluezoo ADR is set in stone for the January trip. I'm pretty sure it will end up being Franklin's favorite Disney restaurant and his new must-do on every trip.

I really love Sci Fi... it's its own attraction, great atmosphere, great film clips, very good burgers and shakes... It's just a lot of fun... (I don't go there for the "foodie" in me... but the burgers and shakes do satisfy...;) you go there for the entire "experience"

You're right about the CS in the Studios; kind of limited...:confused3:confused3

Trust me, the burgers and shakes totally pass muster with me. There are just other Disney restaurants that have slightly more creative menus.

Why ARE the CS options so bad at DHS?? :confused3 Totally agree with you that TS is the way to go in that park with a lot of good options. As always you have some fantastic pictures. My one experience with Sci Fi wasn't great in terms of service but I just may need to give it another shot. LOVE the atmosphere! And tough to beat a good burger!

I don't know why they haven't done ANYTHING to fix the CS at DHS. All the other parks have much more interesting CS choices. :confused3

I totally agree with you about Hollywood Studios. The best CS in HS is in EPCOT! :lmao:

Sci Fi has been our go-to lunch the past few times on trips to HS, or if we are leaving around lunch time, we just hop onto a Friendship Boat and don't stop until we get to the International Gateway.

Hahaha, love it! I'm with you on the outlook for DHS meals. There are just so many more options anywhere along the Friendship Boat path, the resorts, the World Showcase, anything would be a better choice! ::yes::

I have to say, though, that hands down the nastiest thing I have ever eaten at Disney is the shrimp pasta at the Sci Fi. And I got no sympathy from my family... "WHY did you order shrimp at a burger place?"

I don't know, but learn from my mistake. Stick with the burgers or sandwiches.

This is basically the golden rule of Sci-Fi, stick with what they're good at. But everyone should know that Dee is the one who taught me the most important thing about Sci-Fi... you should never, EVER leave without having dessert. Namely the sundae. Trust me, it might be the best advice I ever impart to you. :rotfl:

Where were we? Ah yes, the countdown! We started this back before the NFL playoffs began, the Redskins' prized QB blew out his knee and my work life dissolved into chaos. Having the entire world interested in the local team is amazing for Web traffic, it's just a lot of freaking work. :eek:

In more exciting wedding news, Franklin and I met with the stationer to start the design process for the save the dates and invitations. :banana: The person we're working with does all custom work. So we just sat there and she brought out dozens upon dozens of past work she had done and we figured out what parts we liked and what we didn't like. Now she'll take that information and create some design choices for us. I can't wait to see what she comes up with!

But enough about me, I've kept you in suspense for DAYS about what comes next on the countdown, so let's make up some ground!

20. Flame Tree Barbecue

This was a new restaurant for us on our last trip, so this will serve as kind of sneak peek for that day in the TR. Flame Tree has, hands down, the best ribs I’ve ever had at Disney.

DSC_1804-L.jpg

The seating area is simply gorgeous and Flame Tree even takes the Tables in Wonderland discount card.

19. Crystal Palace

DSC_7661-L.jpg

For those of you who aren’t familiar, Crystal Palace is a character meal with Winnie the Pooh and friends at Magic Kingdom.

Not only does it have some of the cutest characters in the World.

DSC_7671-L.jpg

DSC_7651-L.jpg

It also has some of the best breakfast foods we’ve ever had at Disney.

The cheesey potatoes, seen at the bottom of this plate...

DSC_7649-L.jpg

… are delicious, seriously, we could have made an entire meal out of them. And my favorite was the puffed french toast, which they graciously made for me without cinnamon.

DSC_7650-L.jpg

18. Chefs de France

DSC_1118-L.jpg

Chefs de France is another restaurant that has many fans and almost as many that have sworn off it forever. We fall into the fan category, we had a really lovely lunch there. Maybe it’s because we’ve tended to go at lower(ish) crowd times, but we haven’t had many of the same problems with some of the mixed-review restaurants at Disney. But I digress, back to the French restaurant.

Whether it’s the appetizers...

DSC_1120-L.jpg

DSC_1121-L.jpg

… or the main courses...

DSC_1123-L.jpg

DSC_1122-L.jpg

… or dessert,

DSC_1125-L.jpg

everything was really tasty. And Chefs de France is one of the prettiest restaurants in all of Disney World!

DSC_1117-L.jpg

17. Cape May Cafe

DSC_0899-L.jpg

We ate here last March when we came to Disney with Franklin’s family. Franklin and his sister LOVE seafood, so this buffet was right up their alley.

DSC_0877-L.jpg

I don’t know how much of a rush I’m in to go back for dinner though, now that my two favorite things from the buffet, the ribs...

DSC_0878-L.jpg

… and the Oreo Bon Bons,

DSC_0885-L.jpg

are no longer on the menu. But maybe we’ll try breakfast next time!

16. Kona

We’ve been to Kona once for dinner, back on our first trip to Disney together and the food was delicious. But the really star meal for us has always been breakfast. It’s Franklin’s one must-do breakfast at Disney.

DSC_7369-L.jpg

His go-to order is, of course, the Tonga Toast.

DSC_7372-L.jpg

I typically get the Big Kahuna platter.

DSC_7371-L.jpg

The restaurant isn’t exactly the most original in terms of Disney decor, but the food more than makes up for it! :thumbsup2

DSC_7366-L.jpg

I really enjoyed Kona when I was there last year, it was my first time. Nice atmosphere and that tonga toast is just to die for!
I am also a big fan of Crystal Palace and Chefs de France! Yummy!
(Wow, now I'm hungry!)

Kona is a great breakfast... love the macadamia nut /pineapple pancakes & the pressed pot...:thumbsup2

I agree that Chefs de France is one of the loveliest dining spaces on property...

Flame Tree does have good ribs and is one of the best CS places in the parks...

I haven't done Crystal Palace but I plan on remedying that next summer...:goodvibes

I can't really comment on Cape May... have never been...:confused3

Missyrose said:
19. Crystal Palace

For those of you who aren’t familiar, Crystal Palace is a character meal with Winnie the Pooh and friends at Magic Kingdom.

Not only does it have some of the cutest characters in the World.

It also has some of the best breakfast foods we’ve ever had at Disney.

This was by far my favorite breakfast too! The puffed French toast is so super delicious, I am getting hungry now just thinking about it!

Super jealous that you'll be back at WDW in a matter of days!! :)

I really enjoyed Kona when I was there last year, it was my first time. Nice atmosphere and that tonga toast is just to die for!
I am also a big fan of Crystal Palace and Chefs de France! Yummy!
(Wow, now I'm hungry!)

Yep, this countdown is making me hungry every time I work on it! Must mean it's a good one. ::yes::

Kona is a great breakfast... love the macadamia nut /pineapple pancakes & the pressed pot...:thumbsup2

I agree that Chefs de France is one of the loveliest dining spaces on property...

Flame Tree does have good ribs and is one of the best CS places in the parks...

I haven't done Crystal Palace but I plan on remedying that next summer...:goodvibes

I can't really comment on Cape May... have never been...:confused3

I wish I liked coffee because everyone RAVES about the pressed pot at Kona. :lmao: Chefs is so pretty, but have you guys seen the pictures of the remodeled (and expanded) bakery in the France pavilion? Wow, they did an amazing job!

I can't wait to hear what you think of Crystal Palace, I think you're gonna love it!

This was by far my favorite breakfast too! The puffed French toast is so super delicious, I am getting hungry now just thinking about it!

Super jealous that you'll be back at WDW in a matter of days!! :)

You guys had especially wonderful breakfast at CP, celebrating Ryan and Jack's birthday with Pooh and the gang!

I wish you guys were coming with us in a couple of weeks!

Welcome back friends, we last left off entering the den of Disney happiness, aka La Cava de Tequila, aka “The Ditch.”

Franklin and I had never been here before and it is such a cool little corner of Disney. It’s also a lot smaller than I expected. But they clearly had everything we were looking for.

DSC_0834-L.jpg

You guys nailed Franklin’s order (a jalapeno margarita) but no one managed to guess my order: a cucumber margarita!

DSC_0830-L.jpg

I wasn’t sure about the combination, but oh my gosh, it was the perfect, refreshing cocktail for that hot Disney day.

We chilled there for a while, enjoying our drinks and some chips and salsa. There was a huge group that took up the back third of the bar. They all had matching shirts (I think it was a birthday party or something). The group was LOUD, but really fun to watch. Some of the other patrons were getting annoyed by the group’s antics, but we saw it more as a floor show!

We made one more stop in Mexico, another first for us: Gran Fiesta!

DSC_0840-L.jpg

DSC_0858-L.jpg

DSC_0868-L.jpg

There was quite the party that greeted us as we left the pavilion.

DSC_0883-L.jpg

We’d decided to make our way around the World Showcase, heading toward the Friendship Boat, so we could catch a ride to DHS.

But what’s the point of walking through the WS during the Food and Wine Festival without trying some tasty treats?

First up was an old favorite of mine, China’s pot stickers!

DSC_0884-L.jpg

Franklin tried the Mongolian beef in a steamed bun for the first time.

DSC_0885-L.jpg

My pot stickers were just as good as the other 8 billion times I’ve gotten them at the festival. Franklin said his was just okay.

We took a stroll through Germany to take a look at the trains. And look, they even had a mini F&W all set up!

DSC_0888-L.jpg

I did a quick pin trade to pick up a monorail red pin, while Franklin stood in line to get another refreshment.

DSC_0891-L.jpg

DSC_0892-L.jpg

We made our way to the boat docks. And remember how I said it was pretty hot out? Well one of the guys in line decided it was much too hot for all his clothing and took his shirt off. Seriously dude, no one wants to stare at that.

DSC_0896-L.jpg

We grabbed seats in the back of the Friendship Boat so Franklin could take you all on a little virtual tour of one of our favorite parts of Disney, the Epcot resorts area. On your right, you’ll find Beach Club.

DSC_0899-L.jpg

DSC_0901-L.jpg

Further on to the right is Yacht Club, where I think Franklin and I are going to book the Disney portion of our honeymoon!

DSC_0905-L.jpg

And on your left is a little place Franklin and I like to call home, the Boardwalk.

DSC_0906-L.jpg

DSC_0914-L.jpg

Sigh, just 16 days until we see you again!

DSC_0930-L.jpg

DSC_0932-L.jpg

DSC_0935-L.jpg

DSC_0943-L.jpg

Look, I know the boats aren’t the most efficient means of transportation, but they might be the most gorgeous way to get from point A to point B in all of Disney.

But soon our scenic ride was over as we pulled into the DHS dock. I even managed to make a quick pin trade on our way into the park.

DSC_0949-L.jpg

Hooray for Hollywood, we’d arrived at our second park of the day and the second park of the trip! :cool1:

DSC_0950-L.jpg

That’s where we’ll stop for now, but anyone care to guess where we’d head to first at DHS? Since Franklin and I keep going back and forth trying to figure out which Epcot resort we want to stay at for our honeymoon, I want to open the floor to all of you. Which is your favorite Epcot resort and why do you love it?

So this is the first trip report I have read where its not finished and I plan to wait around I usually don't like to wait and prefer to only read completed reports but I love the photos and report and am excitedly waiting for more.

:sigh: Franklin has arguably some of the best TR pictures out there..and your descriptions match beautifully. You have one of my favorite TR's going, can't wait to read more.

So this is the first trip report I have read where its not finished and I plan to wait around I usually don't like to wait and prefer to only read completed reports but I love the photos and report and am excitedly waiting for more.

:sigh: Franklin has arguably some of the best TR pictures out there..and your descriptions match beautifully. You have one of my favorite TR's going, can't wait to read more.

Awwww, thanks! You're both making me blush. :blush: Franklin and I have a lot of fun creating these TRs, so it's always so wonderful to see that people are enjoying them! I will have more of the countdown coming up soon and another TR chapter later today! :thumbsup2

15. Boma

We don’t have photos from our Boma meal in October yet (Franklin is still hard at work editing the, um, 4,000 photos he took during the 10-day trip). So just my descriptions will have to suffice for today. ;)

I know what you’re thinking, “All Disney breakfast buffets are pretty much the same.” But I’m here to tell you that you’re wrong. Yes, most of the buffets have the same eggs, sausage, bacon (Disney bacon, ick!), etc. But Boma sets itself apart with some of their more unusual offerings.

It had some really interesting combinations for their frittatas (in addition to the full-service omelet station). The buffet also included some of the same yummy carving station offerings as the dinner buffet. The ham was especially tasty (and they can use the same carving station ham in the omelets if you like!).

Plus, you get to start your day with the delicious West African Frunch (a combination of lemonade, pineapple juice, guava juice, orange juice, and papaya juice)!

14. Earl of Sandwich

DSC_3381-L.jpg

I know what you’re thinking. “Sandwiches? How is a glorified Subway on anyone’s best-of list?” But hear me out, this sandwich shop isn’t like anything you’ve ever had before. For starters, never be scared away by the line inside the shop. Yes, it resembles Toy Story Mania at around 1 p.m. every day, but EOS is a well-oiled machine and it won’t take more than 10 or 15 minutes to get through.

Once you get through the line, you get to order one of these bad boys.

DSC_3383-L.jpg

Let’s list the reasons why a sandwich from EOS is so good: the bread is heavenly -- toasted perfectly, there’s always plenty of meat and the cheese, oh the cheese, there’s enough and it’s melted just so.

Next time you’re shopping at Downtown Disney and you’ve worked up quite an appetite, put EOS on top of your list. :thumbsup2

13. Via Napoli

We’re in the same boat with Via Napoli as we were with Boma, no pictures yet. We actually ate here as part of a special event for the Food and Wine Festival, so we got to taste many different things on the menu. The pizzas here are so delicious, it’s hard to pick just one to order! The Arancini (fried rizzoto balls) we very moist and the Zeppole di Ricotta was served with a lemon sauce instead of chocolate, so I can’t wait to go back and try it in its original form.

The best part of Via Napoli is it is easily one of the best value TS meals in Disney. The pizzas are easily shared, so are the salads and appetizers/desserts. So for folks like us who don’t use a dining plan, the hit our wallets take isn’t as bad as other restaurants.

Sounds like a nice time at Epcot, and I agree, I love to travel by boat if I have the time. So relaxing!
I am on the Boma train right there with you. It is not just another Disney breakfast buffet!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter