Hanging up my running shoes

Yay for new goals!!! I hope 2018 is the year we all get a sub 5 hour marathon! :banana:

Still have major FOMO about Chicago...:sad:

I am going to run every single shamrock shuffle I can possibly run so that I can earn legacy...that way when you do resubmit for the lottery again and when you get in...I'll be ready. Even if I decide I hate marathons...I feel like we have unfinished run-together business.

That or we can just say screw it and do a disney race :)

I am going to run every single shamrock shuffle I can possibly run so that I can earn legacy...that way when you do resubmit for the lottery again and when you get in...I'll be ready. Even if I decide I hate marathons...I feel like we have unfinished run-together business.

That or we can just say screw it and do a disney race :)

I'm liking either of those options!! :thumbsup2

Oh man that wedding pictures is THE BEST!! Seriously, you guys look like the sweetest young couple that ever was:love: I hope you had a great anniversary. DH and I had a January wedding as well :)

I am loving your 2018 plans. Can't wait to follow along as you crush those goals!

Excited to follow along on your journey toward Chicago! That race is definitely on my bucket list and I can't wait to read all about it from you.

New Year! New Training Plan! New Update!!

Training Week Update 1/22 - 1/28
Hey, hey! It's my first training update with the new plan from Billy. We've spent some time figuring out the new plan and paces that Billy has prescribed and he has us taking it easy the first two weeks as we start to get moving again after a two-week break following Dopey. So, here we go! Let's see how we did, shall we?

Monday 1/22 - Easy 3 mile run at our Long Run (LR) pace. For us, Billy has us still doing run/walk for our LR pace. He is planning to have us do some continuous running in the plan as well, so I'm excited to see how that goes. So, for our current LR pace, we are running 60 seconds and walking 30 seconds to reach an average pace of 12:29. We had to work hard at slowing ourselves down. We definitely went too fast at first, but I was watching pace closely, so we adjusted pretty quickly. Ended up at 12:20 overall for the run. Not too bad!

giphy.gif

Tuesday 1/23 - Easy 4 mile LR. A little too fast on this one. Oops. We were blabbering to each other and not paying close enough attention. This slower running takes some focus right now. But, we still weren't too bad. 12:05 average pace.

Wednesday 1/24 - Rest day on Wednesdays!

980x.gif

Thursday 1/25 - 4 mile at LR. Better today!! Average pace of 12:25. We're getting there now!
Friday 1/26 - Rest
Saturday 1/27 - 3 miles at LR. Average pace of 12:21
Sunday 1/28 - 4 miles at LR. Average pace of 12:25.

So, there you have it. One week down on the new plan. It's definitely an adjustment to this slower pace, but so far so good. I'm liking it better than Chris right now, but I think once we start working in some of those harder runs, he'll like it better. I also told him the easiest way I've seen to get Billy to increase your paces is to run a fast race! :D

We are signed up for a 15k around St. Patty's day called the Shamrox run, so we'll see how that one goes. I'm very excited about the new plan - somewhat because it's NEW and I like the idea of variety in our workouts, but also because of the great success I've read on here from many of you. Stay tuned.

Be careful what you wish for, @Chris-Mo!

Looking forward to following your first go-'round with a DB plan, and really glad to see that it's injected a bit of excitement back in to running for you!

::yes::

It's the circle of life. Get a plan to run faster. Run slower but then Run faster. Get a new plan to run faster. Run slower but then Run faster. And forever until you are going negative paces or light speed.

I get excited when I hit a really fast for me race pace but then I start remembering that DB owns a calculator. And then I hide for a week or two :)

Be careful what you wish for, @Chris-Mo!

Looking forward to following your first go-'round with a DB plan, and really glad to see that it's injected a bit of excitement back in to running for you!

I told him to watch out on that! I've also looked ahead in our plan, so know what's in store for us on some of those harder pace runs. I suspect that will cure his desire to run faster. :D

::yes::

It's the circle of life. Get a plan to run faster. Run slower but then Run faster. Get a new plan to run faster. Run slower but then Run faster. And forever until you are going negative paces or light speed.

I get excited when I hit a really fast for me race pace but then I start remembering that DB owns a calculator. And then I hide for a week or two :)

tenor.gif

And now I have an image of Billy as Rafiki!

I'm liking it better than Chris right now, but I think once we start working in some of those harder runs, he'll like it better. I also told him the easiest way I've seen to get Billy to increase your paces is to run a fast race! :D

Be careful what you wish for is right, @Chris-Mo !

I will say that it is intentionally very easy right now. The plan will progress in difficulty and if written correctly will keep you on the edge of possible and impossible.

Be careful what you wish for is right, @Chris-Mo !

I will say that it is intentionally very easy right now. The plan will progress in difficulty and if written correctly will keep you on the edge of possible and impossible.

:scared1:

I do know that you have it very easy right now and I'm thankful for that. :D But, also looking forward to the challenges ahead.

I think we are both still just grappling with the whole "train slow to race fast" thing which seems impossible right now and with the way we have always trained. But, I have read the successes on here, so...

tenor.gif

I think the slowing down is definitely an adjustment - I'm expecting to struggle with that too. But you're getting better, which is a good sign!

Just don't get too good at the plan, because I'm given to understand that when you get good at the slow running, you get good at the fast races, and then you get the crazy paces...

If you want it, PROVE IT, by doing what is necessary to get it! :thumbsup2

You are absolutely correct.

:offtopic: somewhat
when you set up these plans on the long runs are they a certain percentage of the long runs? The point of my question is have you ever done a plan for a 50 miler? What mileage would you think is good to go up to on a 50 miler, longest run wise? Just curious, I have considered doing a longer ultra.

:offtopic: somewhat
when you set up these plans on the long runs are they a certain percentage of the long runs? The point of my question is have you ever done a plan for a 50 miler? What mileage would you think is good to go up to on a 50 miler, longest run wise? Just curious, I have considered doing a longer ultra.

Typically, my long runs in the training plans are dictated by two things:

1) 150 min max for continuous runners and 180 min max (*) for run/walk runners. *I'm still figuring this one out, but the data I got from Marathon Weekend says this is pretty good.
2) Best case scenario: Long run is 25% or less of weekly mileage. Good scenario: Long run is 25-30% of weekly mileage. I'm willing to go to 35% on occasion. I don't like to go above 35% of weekly mileage unless I have to.

I have not written a plan for an ultra, but here's my view. The marathon is 99% aerobic. An ultra would be 100% aerobic. So at it's core there is no difference between marathon training and ultra training. Where the key difference comes is in the pacing. Pacing during the 50 mile event would require going relatively slow. While I have not tested this theory out, I believe a 150 min max long run could still work for 50 miler training. I think stacking multiple long efforts throughout the week is a better recipe for success than a single really long training run.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter