Halloween at DL

Status
Not open for further replies.
PHXscuba - According to this 7-19-09 thread started by CinderALLIE last year, the Halloweentime info (complete with events and dates, etc.) had been released by D23 on 7-18-09:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2233852

Marjam - This year, unless there is a drastic change in how they do things at DLR, Halloweentime should begin on Friday, September 24th. It is almost always the last Friday in September when it begins, except for in 2007, when it was the next to last Friday that it began. The Trick or Treat Party usually begins on the first Friday in October, so exactly one week after Halloweentime starts at DLR. So Haunted Mansion Holiday and Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy (if that returns this year) will be up and running on 9/24, as will any Halloween fireworks and decorations, but the TOTP will start the following week.

I'm willing to answer any questions based on our experience last October in the parks, over Columbus Day weekend and into the week. We didn't do the ToTP. We stayed onsite at the DLH. We took 4 kids, ages 4-13. We ate our weight in treats.:eek: (Also ate at Goofy's Kitchen and Carnation Cafe). Hopefully anyone with similar problems/ages/queries could ask me; maybe others who went last year could be part of an informal "panel" to answer Qs.

Sherry, do you recall when last year's Halloween stuff was announced? A lot was rumored, but I think it was late summer before we had details. Knowing that might help people in their planning.

PHXscuba

We are going the same time this year! Our first ever trip to DL. A fwe questions:

How was the weather? We are coming from Pennsylvania, wondering if we will need shorts, pants, coats, etc.
How were the crowds? We are arriving the Friday before Columbus Day and leaving the next Sunday. Will spend a few days traveling to San Diego for SW and SD Zoo. Plus 1 day at Hollywood and 1 day at the beach.

Were your kids afraid of Space Mountain or Haunted Mansion? My kids are 7 and 11. Not thinking 11 will be scared, just wondering about 7 year old.

TIA

Haley's Mom:
We hit rain last year during that time -- coolish on Monday, rainy on and off on Tuesday and Wednesday until it finally cleared that afternoon. Coming from PA, it would probably still feel warm to you; just be sure to have a light jacket and a spare pair of walking shoes if the feet get wet.

But, we have been to CA several times that week in October (it's our fall break) and had absolutely perfect weather -- in the 70s and sunny.

(I heard) the parks reached capacity on that Friday and Saturday nights with all the locals wanting to see the Hallo stuff. The crowds were busy on Columbus Day (but still doable with all the DIS tricks), and dropped off greatly Tues and Wed, probably in part due to the rain). Maybe make your non-DL days the first weekend if you can stand it?

All of my kids (even the 4-year-old) rode Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy. DS was a little scared but he said he closed his eyes.;) All the others loved it. My 7-year-old is tiny but daring.:cutie:

The best thing I did before we went was renting "Nightmare Before Christmas" on DVD so the kids would understand the HMH and Jack Skellington. They all loved the HMH -- I think it's actually less scary with the NBC overlay. DS4 took to calling the HM "Jack's house." We went on both rides mutiple times.

Hope that helps ...

PHXscuba

Bump! I know I can't be the only one to have Halloweentime photos to post in this thread (of seasonal decorations, merchandise, food, etc.).:goodvibes

which days are the trick or treat parties on? we are doing a So Cal trip this October with the city pass, so we are doing 2 days in San Diego and 2 days at DL, but i want to make sure we time it right!

We will be there at this time this year..How much did the TOT party cost?

which days are the trick or treat parties on? we are doing a So Cal trip this October with the city pass, so we are doing 2 days in San Diego and 2 days at DL, but i want to make sure we time it right!

We will be there at this time this year..How much did the TOT party cost?

Since we don't know what the rates and dates will be for this years' TOTP yet, here is a link to what they were last year:

http://allears.net/dlr/tp/dca/mht.htm

You can see that the TOTP started on the first Friday in October, and then increased to Thursday and Friday, and then increased to Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, and then the actual date of Halloween was included too. So I imagine that is how it will go this year.

I know that if Halloweentime begins at DLR on September 24 (Friday) this year, as I expect it will, then the TOTP should begin on Friday, October 1. As soon as the TOTP prices and dates are announced for 2010, someone will have to post them here, so we can keep it all in one place.

Okay, I posted photos on the first page of this thread, but I don't see anyone else posting pictures!! Our Halloween Superthread has to have more photos!!

Ok, I'll share some of my favorites. These were taken in 2007, the first year of HalloweenTime:

Pumpkin carvings at Halloween Roundup

DSCN0203.jpg

DSCN0204.jpg

DSCN0205.jpg

Frontierland Decor
DSCN0189.jpg

Pumpkin flowers
DSCN0160.jpg

Some from last year, 2009:

DSCN0791.jpg

DSCN0788.jpg

DSCN0806.jpg

DSCN0792.jpg

Dessert at The Plaza Inn. It was pumpkin flavored mousse with carrot cake on the bottom. I just couldn't resist the pumpkin Mickey mini mug it came in. :lovestruc
DSCN0796.jpg

Did someone ask for character photos from Halloween? ;)

Let's start with the TOTP - there's a couple of characters roaming around the parks. Last year we saw Ratcliffe from Pocahontas, the Queen of Hearts and Bowler Hat Guy from Meet the Robinsons, all in the Bug's Land area. 2008 we met the Queen of Hearts and Cruella at the line of Mickey and Minnie. But I am sure we have missed some.

0IMG_0187.jpg

2008:

100_1210.jpg

100_1211.jpg

There's a Playhouse Disney photo stop which last year was on Hollywood Boulevard, and the Toy Story photo stop, near the actual attraction. (Sorry, no photos from Playhouse Disney.)

2008:

image0548.jpg

It is always two sets of characters switching.

With Golden Dreams demolished the Villains Photo stop had moved to a shed at Bug's Land. Last year it featured Cruella and Lady Tremaine and the stepsisters. 2008 Lady Tremaine and the stepsisters were taking turns with the Evil Queen.

2009:

999Image0142.jpg

999Image0285.jpg

2008:

image0538.jpg

image0556.jpg

image0781.jpg

Last year the Evil Queen had switched to a new photo stop dedicated to Snow White which was at the Animation Academy. She was switching with Snow White and Dopey there. I assume that was for the anniversary because that photo stop was there throughout the day for some days after Halloween too.

0IMG_0188.jpg

0IMG_0195.jpg

The Princess photo stop was near Ariel's Grotto. It had two backgrounds where you met one princess each. If my memory serves me corret Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty were switching with Ariel and Belle.

999Image0124.jpg

999Image0134.jpg

999Image0337.jpg

999Image0341.jpg

The year before it had been two princess photo stops, an additional one was located near the Hyperion Theatre. You had one background there and got to pose with two princesses at the same time. Not sure if this system will be back this year, the two backgrounds system seemed to make the line move much more fast.

2008:

image0545.jpg

image0625.jpg

image0637.jpg

image0746.jpg

The fourth pair was Jasmine and Cinderella, but somehow I can't find that photo.

Pirates Wharf had the Pirates photo stop - quite obviously. ;)

The characters you meet there have been the same in 2008 and 2009, Captain Jack Sparrow and Peter Pan and the gang - sometimes it's Hook on his own.

999Image0138.jpg

999Image0100.jpg

This was the only chance you had last year to meet Captain Jack.

2008 from Pirates Wharf:

image0565.jpg

image0622.jpg

image0634.jpg

Mickey's and Minnie's photo stop had moved the the queueing area of Aladdin this year - a very good idea in my eyes because their line is the slowest moving for sure.

999Image0175.jpg

2008:

image0567.jpg

During the days the Villains had their special photo stop set up near "it's a small world". Characters were switching every 15 minutes or so, so we set up camp there for quite a while to see everyone we wanted. :laughing:

We saw Cruella, QoH, Evil Queen, Jafar, Hook and the Old Hag:

999Image0231.jpg

0IMG_0215.jpg

0IMG_0216.jpg

0IMG_0217.jpg

0IMG_0219.jpg

999Image0236.jpg

0IMG_0223.jpg

2008 the villains were roaming around the Hollywood Boulvevard at DCA:

image0587.jpg

100_1262.jpg

don_kl.jpg

100_1326.jpg

100_1260.jpg

image0589.jpg

image0874.jpg

image0884.jpg

Photos from Big Thunder Mountain decorated for Halloween:

0IMG_0227.jpg

The card player doing tricks there, he was really good. Occassionally Woody and Jessie hang out there too.

0IMG_0229.jpg

0IMG_0230.jpg

2008 pictures from Big Thunder:

100_1180.jpg

Jack Skellington and Sally who are only out during Halloween Time:

0IMG_0172.jpg

This year there was a photo spot set up on the small court like area near Haunted Mansion and the line was controlled by some CMs in Haunted Mansion costume.

And of course Haunted Mansion Holiday:

IMG_0541.jpg

IMG_0542.jpg

IMG_0544.jpg

Characters in costume:

2009:

999Image0259.jpg

0IMG_0208.jpg

0IMG_0209.jpg

2008:

100_1203.jpg

chip_h1_kl.jpg

dale_h1_kl.jpg

0IMG_0240.jpg

I think the Candy Corn Acres attires count too, we never saw these when Halloween was over:

100_1217.jpg

100_1218.jpg

100_1219.jpg

2IMG_0293.jpg

2IMG_0296.jpg

0IMG_0237.jpg

2008:

image0889.jpg

100_1268.jpg

100_1309.jpg

100_1313.jpg

100_1324.jpg

100_1325.jpg

EDIT: For some reason the 2008 pictures appear pretty big on here... sorry for that, I am working on it!

Awesome photos, Diznygrl - and great additions to this thread (the little Superthread that could!!:rotfl2:)!!:thumbsup2 Thanks so much for posting them and giving this thread a little boost. We need more Halloween-y goodness from everyone!!

I LOVE those carved pumpkins - so clever and artfully done. I know if my clumsy hands tried to do that kind of work on a pumpkin, it would turn out all kinds of messed up!!:rotfl2:

I also love that mug - and even though I think I bought that mug (or a very similar one) at DLR in 2008, if I hadn't bought it in a shop, I would get the pumpkin mousse/carrot cake thingy just to get that mug!! I don't even like carrot cake, but I would get it for that mug!

Amazing photos, Vala (as always!!)!!!:goodvibes You always look like you are having such a blast when you are at DLR. I thank you, especially, for including all the photos of the characters in their Halloween garb in this thread!! Just as Diznygrl gave us a fantastic representation of the carved character pumpkins at DLR, you really showed us the best example of what the characters look like when dressed up in their seasonal garb, which is important to include in our Halloween Superthread. I cannot express how much I LOOOOOOOOVE me some Donald in that pumpkin outift - that is so adorable, I can't stand it!!

Again, thanks for contributing - this thread needed a kick, and you and Diznygrl came through!!

Oh, don't worry too much about the size of the photos! I am guilty of that too, clearly - I loaded many pictures onto Photobucket ages ago and neglected to change the size/dimension settings before I did, so they came out gigantic (it takes too long on Photobucket to edit each one individually and change the size). When I finally remembered to fix the size before I uploaded other photos, everything was fine and the photos were a normal size. I, personally, like to look at the really big photos, but I know it doesn't always work well on certain monitors and some of the photos get cut off, or the pages load very slowly.

Those are great photos and looks like so much fun!! We hope to go back to DLR during the last week of September this year (hopefully the first weekend of Halloween Time)! Quick questions for everyone...does anyone know if Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs are around for photo ops (like at WDW MNSSHP)? It looked like Vala got to meet Snow White and Dopey. Or is Dopey the only Dwarf around during this time? (I'd be happy with just Dopey becuase DS LOVES Dopey). And if it's just Dopey, is he only around during TOTP, or is he around during the day throughout Halloween Time?

Again, thanks for contributing - this thread needed a kick, and you and Diznygrl came through!!

I've been sick for a couple of days, today was the first day I had enough energy to come and have a close look on the forum. Otherwise I would have posted something earlier. ;)

Those are great photos and looks like so much fun!! We hope to go back to DLR during the last week of September this year (hopefully the first weekend of Halloween Time)! Quick questions for everyone...does anyone know if Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs are around for photo ops (like at WDW MNSSHP)? It looked like Vala got to meet Snow White and Dopey. Or is Dopey the only Dwarf around during this time? (I'd be happy with just Dopey becuase DS LOVES Dopey). And if it's just Dopey, is he only around during TOTP, or is he around during the day throughout Halloween Time?

This was the first year I ever saw a dwarf out (with the exception of the Parade of Dreams), and I've been going since 2006 for Halloween time.

Last year was the first year they had this Snow White photo op from what I heard. It probably was for the anniversary, so I am not sure if it will be back. It seemed popular, so I am hoping they will keep it.

Dopey was the only dwarf around that we saw last year. The backdrop in my picture was still up throughout the day too for a couple of days after Halloween, so I'd think it will probably be up (if it is back) during Halloween Time too. We've seen Dopey there quite often throughout the day, sometimes with Snow White and sometimes solo.

This was the first year I ever saw a dwarf out (with the exception of the Parade of Dreams), and I've been going since 2006 for Halloween time.

Last year was the first year they had this Snow White photo op from what I heard. It probably was for the anniversary, so I am not sure if it will be back. It seemed popular, so I am hoping they will keep it.

Dopey was the only dwarf around that we saw last year. The backdrop in my picture was still up throughout the day too for a couple of days after Halloween, so I'd think it will probably be up (if it is back) during Halloween Time too. We've seen Dopey there quite often throughout the day, sometimes with Snow White and sometimes solo.

Thanks Vala!

Awesome photos, Diznygrl - and great additions to this thread (the little Superthread that could!!:rotfl2:)!!:thumbsup2 Thanks so much for posting them and giving this thread a little boost. We need more Halloween-y goodness from everyone!!

I LOVE those carved pumpkins - so clever and artfully done. I know if my clumsy hands tried to do that kind of work on a pumpkin, it would turn out all kinds of messed up!!:rotfl2:

I also love that mug - and even though I think I bought that mug (or a very similar one) at DLR in 2008, if I hadn't bought it in a shop, I would get the pumpkin mousse/carrot cake thingy just to get that mug!! I don't even like carrot cake, but I would get it for that mug!

Hehe, you're welcome, Sherry. I thought I had to do SOMETHING to help this poor little thread. ;)

The pumpkin carvings are actually my favorite part of HalloweenTime. I love how they're always working on new ones, and you can stop by at multiple times during your trip and see a new pumpkin on display. Of course sometimes they leave some of them out too long...last year I saw Lumiere and the rose from Beauty and the Beast that had seen better days...they were moldy with flies buzzing around them. :eek: The Caterpillar is absolutely my most favorite 'carving' out of all that I've seen. I just love it!

The mug isn't really a full sized mug, unfortunately. It could probably fit about three or four swigs of liquid in it. :laughing: After you're done with the cake, the mug is mostly for decorative purposes, I'm afraid. But determined to put it to some kind of use when I got home, I put candy corn in it. :)

Hehe, you're welcome, Sherry. I thought I had to do SOMETHING to help this poor little thread. ;)

The pumpkin carvings are actually my favorite part of HalloweenTime. I love how they're always working on new ones, and you can stop by at multiple times during your trip and see a new pumpkin on display. Of course sometimes they leave some of them out too long...last year I saw Lumiere and the rose from Beauty and the Beast that had seen better days...they were moldy with flies buzzing around them. :eek: The Caterpillar is absolutely my most favorite 'carving' out of all that I've seen. I just love it!

The mug isn't really a full sized mug, unfortunately. It could probably fit about three or four swigs of liquid in it. :laughing: After you're done with the cake, the mug is mostly for decorative purposes, I'm afraid. But determined to put it to some kind of use when I got home, I put candy corn in it. :)

Oh, now see, that mug looks larger in the photo to me than I guess it is in real life!! Oh well, I would still force myself to eat carrot cake to get it if I wanted it! And it has to be used for something once it is cleaned up, so candy or maybe as a votive candle holder would be great ideas!!

I would bet that a lot of people don't think those pumpkins are real. They look SO skillfully carved that it almost appears as if they are prop/fake pumpkins, just for decoration. So the fact that you found some that had seen better days and had flies buzzing around is strangely refreshing to me, because I know they were freshly carved and real!!

Well, I may have to start taking photos of some Halloweentime merchandise I bought at DLR just to post something and keep this thread going. I am still hoping someone posts some good photos of the TOTP from last year!!

Well, until I can get my Halloweentime merchandise photos taken, I will throw in a few more from the exterior of Haunted Mansion Holiday just to keep things rolling along…

IMG_0111.jpg

IMG_0118.jpg

IMG_0183.jpg

IMG_0185.jpg

IMG_0186.jpg

I am trying to figure out how to add photos just for this thread. My little way of giving back for all the great advice I've pilfered from the DIS the last 2 years.:)

OK, so I've got the photos in Photobucket ... now what? I can put a link in here but not the actual photo.

PHXscuba

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts