Hair Styling for Formal Night

PPFQP

DIS Veteran
On our last cruise on RCCL, I made salon appointments for my daughters to have their hair done for formal night. (It also happened to be Christmas Eve, so it was extra special.) It was really fun for them and they are asking if we can do it again on our Disney cruise.

Anyone know if this is offered, what the prices might be, and if it's possible to get appointments for formal night? My daughters will be 14 at the time of the cruise. I can't book it in advance, but we are planning to get to the port early and will go to the spa as early as possible to try and book it.

Thanks for any info.

All spa services are only for guests 18 and up, including the hair salon.

thats silly that you have to be 18 and up for hair salon....what is the difference?

thats silly that you have to be 18 and up for hair salon....what is the difference?

There's no difference. The policy is that the spa (which is where the hair salon is located) is for adults only. There are sometimes a few exceptions where they offer mother/daughter specials or "my first facial" deals...usually on port days if regular appointments aren't filling up all the slots.

Basically, the spa is one of the places on the ship without kids.

Yes they will let under 18's in the salon.
My dd12 and I both got our hair done for formal night last December on our 7-night Western cruise.

However, they would only book my DD first thing in the morning.

We both got "up-do's" which are listed at "$35 and up." We were actually charged $50 each. Warning.... watch out for the extras like a hair clip. They tried to charge $40 each for these hair clips!

Here we are:
FormalnightDCL1208.jpg

Have a fun cruise!

Yes they will let under 18's in the salon.
My dd12 and I both got our hair done for formal night last December on our 7-night Western cruise.

However, they would only book my DD first thing in the morning.

We both got "up-do's" which are listed at "$35 and up." We were actually charged $50 each. Warning.... watch out for the extras like a hair clip. They tried to charge $40 each for these hair clips!

Here we are:
FormalnightDCL1208.jpg

Have a fun cruise!

Wow! You all look beautiful! That's exactly what they are interested in. But, I don't think that they would be able to keep it that way all day if they got it done first thing in the morning. I guess I will have to give them a choice and see if it is worth it to them.

Wow! You all look beautiful! That's exactly what they are interested in. But, I don't think that they would be able to keep it that way all day if they got it done first thing in the morning. I guess I will have to give them a choice and see if it is worth it to them.

Thanks! I felt like Ivana Trump!
And, yes, my DD had a tough time keeping her hair like that all day. We recurled some before dinner. She did her best to avoid going outside.

We had our character breakfast that morning... boy did she look fancy!

DCP_3590.jpg

:cutie:

Might I suggest that the next time you and your DD go get your hair cut, tell the stylist you want some extra time and have her teach each of you how to up-do the other's hair. You can then experiment with how you want it to look and will know what accessories you'll need to bring. Be sure to practice a few times at home to be sure you have it right.

This is what I plan on doing, but I'll have to learn how to do it myself... No kids on this cruise in sept!:goodvibes

All spa services are only for guests 18 and up, including the hair salon.

This is not always so. The last 2 cruises, 2008, 2007, my niece (then 8 and 9) got to sign up for some kind of "Princess" thing. I'm sorry, I can't remember the name. It was a manicure, pedicure, make-up (age appropriate - basically just light powder and lip gloss), and body powder. It was about $35.00 minus tip. We signed her up in the lounge on the first afternoon while confirming our spa appointments. I didn't see it advertised anywhere and you cannot pre-book it online.

Last year, again while confiming the above appts., we also were able to get my nephew a hair cut appointment in the salon late the second afternoon (just before Formal Night). Naturally, while scurrying to prepare for the cruise, no one noticed that his hair was growing so quickly! :lmao: He was just 11 at the time, and the CM's actually offered this while we were talking about his hair while confirming appts. - we didn't even really ask as we didn't think it was an option. I want to say this was around $20.00 minus tip.

Sorry, I do not have more info, but since you cannot pre-book, try going to the lounge upon arrival and seeing what they can do for you.

This is not always so. The last 2 cruises, 2008, 2007, my niece (then 8 and 9) got to sign up for some kind of "Princess" thing. I'm sorry, I can't remember the name. It was a manicure, pedicure, make-up (age appropriate - basically just light powder and lip gloss), and body powder. It was about $35.00 minus tip. We signed her up in the lounge on the first afternoon while confirming our spa appointments. I didn't see it advertised anywhere and you cannot pre-book it online.

Last year, again while confiming the above appts., we also were able to get my nephew a hair cut appointment in the salon late the second afternoon (just before Formal Night). Naturally, while scurrying to prepare for the cruise, no one noticed that his hair was growing so quickly! :lmao: He was just 11 at the time, and the CM's actually offered this while we were talking about his hair while confirming appts. - we didn't even really ask as we didn't think it was an option. I want to say this was around $20.00 minus tip.

Sorry, I do not have more info, but since you cannot pre-book, try going to the lounge upon arrival and seeing what they can do for you.

Thanks! It's helpful to hear about your experience!

We'll see what they say when we get on board. It was certainly fun for them as a special treat on our Christmas cruise, but I think they might be more inclined to skip it this cruise because they'll be too busy having fun with their friends (we're going with 4 other families).

Perhaps they are getting desperate for customers? On the August PC repo they stuck to the adults only rule and though I do not use the spa, if I did I would not want kids to be there. As stated before, that is one of the few adults only areas on the ship. It sounds like they break their own rules if adults are not booking all the slots.

Perhaps they are getting desperate for customers? On the August PC repo they stuck to the adults only rule and though I do not use the spa, if I did I would not want kids to be there. As stated before, that is one of the few adults only areas on the ship. It sounds like they break their own rules if adults are not booking all the slots.

I get what you are saying and I agree wholeheartedly. Just to be clear, however, the kids were never in the Rainforest or locker areas. In fact, we weren't even in the waiting room, they instructed us to go right into the hair salon area.

I suppose this is why they don't advertise these - if so - the area could be overrun! I got the impression that when the staff offered these services, that they had openings. Both times were just as early dinner was beginning - and there was only 1 other guest in the salon besides us each time. Must be their dead slow time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!