Hagrid Ride - help please

Jacqui Padden

Jac0871
POSSIBLE SPOILER for Hagrid ride so only read if you’ve already done it.
Hello all - can anyone help (Universal not disney question). I’m not great with rides, though I finally plucked up the courage last October to go on Everest & FOP (though I found FOP quite scary). I really want to do the new Hagrid ride but as a ride wimp I’m not sure how scary it is. I know about the Launches .. and the drop .. and the backwards bit. But is it any more scary than Everest. If it’s more like Rock n Roller coaster then it’s out of my wimp league. It’s the vertical drop that I’m terrified of.

The vertical drop is only 17 feet which is nothing compared to all the other "big" drops on property. Can't speak from experience, but according to the people who ridden it, they say it doesn't feel like anything and you don't get that butterflies in your stomach feeling during a normal drop.

However, I have experienced Everest and if Everest is something you can't handle, then from what I've heard about Hagrid's you won't be handle this ride. As for one example, if the backwards portion is something that intimidates you on Everest, you may not be able to handle this one, as it goes up (not just stops in the middle of a track like Everest) before dropping down backwards (it goes upwards on a track at a high angle before going backwards since the track is not complete) and ride around backwards for a little bit of a distance before eventually ending up in a building where the Devil's Snare is which is where the vertical drop is.

I'm not terrified of coasters...but getting too old for the ones that throw you around or twist every which way.. Rip, Ride, Rocket almost gave me neck and back issues.. Hagrids is fine.

The up to dead end track and go backwards is much less than Everest... backwards part isn't that long. The drop is quick, doesn't really give you time to notice it's happening, I expected it to be more intense. The rest of the ride is smooth but fast as the launchers keep you going where you would normally slow down, with banked turns but nothing upside down.

It is much easier than Everest and nothing like Rock N Roller coaster.

I'm not terrified of coasters...but getting too old for the ones that throw you around or twist every which way.. Rip, Ride, Rocket almost gave me neck and back issues.. Hagrids is fine.

The up to dead end track and go backwards is much less than Everest... backwards part isn't that long. The drop is quick, doesn't really give you time to notice it's happening, I expected it to be more intense. The rest of the ride is smooth but fast as the launchers keep you going where you would normally slow down, with banked turns but nothing upside down.

It is much easier than Everest and nothing like Rock N Roller coaster.
Thank you for your reply - I can do Everest no problem. But don’t think I could do RnR. I can do the speed on test track too no problem. Sounding like I’ll be ok on Hagrid :)

The vertical drop is only 17 feet which is nothing compared to all the other "big" drops on property. Can't speak from experience, but according to the people who ridden it, they say it doesn't feel like anything and you don't get that butterflies in your stomach feeling during a normal drop.

However, I have experienced Everest and if Everest is something you can't handle, then from what I've heard about Hagrid's you won't be handle this ride. As for one example, if the backwards portion is something that intimidates you on Everest, you may not be able to handle this one, as it goes up (not just stops in the middle of a track like Everest) before dropping down backwards (it goes upwards on a track at a high angle before going backwards since the track is not complete) and ride around backwards for a little bit of a distance before eventually ending up in a building where the Devil's Snare is which is where the vertical drop is.
Thank you for your reply. I loved Everest - went on it 3 times back to back. But that’s been my limit so far. Don’t think I could do RnR

Is the vertical drop "jarring" (especially the "landing") or is it a smooth motion ala ROTR?

Haven't ridden ROTR, but I will say it's a bit jarring in the sense that you might not be expecting it. The freefall is only a little over 10 feet, which is so short that when it drops it almost immediately starts slowing back down so it's smooth I would say. It's there more for the surprise value than the falling or a jarring sensation.

Thanks. The reason I ask is that I've ridden "Verbolten" (formerly the Big Bad Wolf) at Busch Gardens Williamsburg, which has a similar feature, but it really slams down (i.e., jarring & painful) at the bottom of the drop. Of course, that's a much older ride so, between the age difference and the advancements in technology, I'm hopeful Hagrid's drop is more controlled and smooth.

My friend does not like roller coasters, mostly due to the big drops. She loves mummy and loves Hagrids - her new favorite ride. She almost wouldn't go on it because of the drop (keep in mind, it is like jumping off a 1st story roof height-wise, so not that high when you really think about it). It bursts you up to speed but there are no hills to speak of, just the backwards part gets some height. For reference, she rode Hulk once because of peer pressure but said never again, and refuses to go on RRR. (She did Rockin' Roller Coaster and was not a fan).

If you're nervous, start out in the sidecar because it feels less "open" than the bike. It's a really fun coaster with an actual story & good speed without the lift hill aspect.

My son was freaked out about riding Hagrids a second time, because the first time he was on the bike. I suggested he try the side car this time, and he loved it! He’s been pretty afraid of rides lately, so I’m glad he found something that worked. i rode the bike and it was crazy! I loved it, but man it felt fast!

I'm fine with the ride, it's the queue that killed me. In the section where the trophy cases are, I had to get a team member to get me out of there. I felt like all those hot bodies were stealing my air. (August pre-COVID).

My daughter hated Hagrid's the first time we rode it. We figured out that it was because it was at night. She hates the stomach feeling of a big drop and that wasn't a problem for her on Hagrid's. DH and I loved it so much we made her stand in line with us another day because we wanted to ride it again. For Six Flags, we do an Adult Day once a year and ride everything she won't ride. But, Universal isn't nearby. In line, we talked about how much we were looking forward to it, and with other people in line. She decided to ride again, and she picked me to ride with. I was so happy I glowed and the lady that rode with DH asked him why I was so happy. DD liked it that time and every time after that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter