Had "The Talk" Today.....

I have taken dd out of school just to go to disney also. We prepared ahead by taking assignments. We usually go right before dh gets deployed so that we can have some family time together. We have even gone when he hasn't been scheduled to leave. The school she goes to is a dod school and the teachers are wonderful and understand that with the military you just have to take trips make family time when you can.

We'd get more of a hard time from the coaches than any of the teachers, and that would be because we wait til school is closed to take vacation (kids in high school), but sports teams are still practicing, or in playoffs. Our coaches will not put a player in the game if they miss any practices due to a family vacation (again, taken during school vacation break). I actually had a coach tell me that if a player does NOT attend the softball TRIP TO WDW (which they are planning during the school's 05 spring break), then he would seriously consider CUTTING them from the team, because he has been planning this trip for almost two years. Not for nothing, but he's gotta be kidding. There's a whole bunch of reasons why parents may choose not to send their child on a sports trip with the team, and here he's telling me my kid's going to get cut.

I understand the importance of sports, team sportsmanship, practices, etc. What I don't understand is my entire family being told that we shouldn't be taking our children out of practices for family vacations during "legal" vacation time, and that the kids are actually penalized for going where their parents take them!

One of my top three priorities is to stress the necessity for a family vacation. My kids are getting older quickly, as they all do, and once they start college, DH and I will have to wait for them to fit us into their schedules. (Then we'll just have to take our DVC trips without the kiddies!) I want to enjoy them now, and our family "unit" as much as possible until that time comes, and I don't like being put in a situation where that is being discouraged, or there is a penalty, if we go away! Now my daughter is telling me that when she's varsity she won't want to go away because she doesn't want to be penalized and sports are important to her. I'm going to be in a pickle then! Oh boy! I think we all need a Disney trip!

Our kids teachers have been great about it so far. One of them even said that SHE takes vacations during the school year because of her husband's work schedule and has colleagues cover for her. And she was the best teacher we've had so far.

we have taken our dd out of school every year since kidergarten, she is now in 8th grade. the teachers have always been understanding, and she has always adjusted well and never fell behind. this year we have already taken her out for a week in oct. and will be taken her out again for 6 days in march.(i know i better put the bullet proof vest on now) part of the trip in march is for her cheerleading competition which is in disney but we figured if we are already there we will have to extend it for a little family vacation. this is something we will probably continue to do even when she is in high school (not twice per year, this will prob. be a one time deal) as it is difficult for dh and i to get time off in the summer months, and family vacation is very important to us. i also have to agree that life is too short, you never know what tomorrow will bring and at least we have these memories to treasure. so go on vacation and have a wonderful time!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter