Had a good laugh today...

This will be us in Japan next year unless I attempt using the site in Japanese to book dining ahead of time. I’ll probably end up doing that instead since I can use google translate

I definitely recall those days. I remember stopping at the Rose & Crown first thing in the morning as we entered Epcot at the IG to book lunch for that day (this was in 2000 I think). I also remember that they then changed it such that, if you were staying at a Disney resort, you could go to the restaurant and book for the next day; offsite guests could only book for that day (although that could well have been the same trip in 2000 and we just didn't realize we could do that until later in the trip). Then later, that you could book for the entire stay (if you were at a Disney resort) by calling the dining phone line. I recall checking into our room, dropping the bags, and immediately calling to book for the week that we were there (2005 I think). I also have this vague recollection of terminals in the parks where you could book dining but we never used them. But it's so vague a memory that I can't be sure if it's my imagination or was real.

Our first trip was 1987 and even then, probably due to the fact that this was Easter break and there was only EPCOT and the Magic Kingdom that the parks were busy. We were traveling with our best friends and between the two of us there were 4 adults and 4 children between the ages of 13 and 2. We tried and tried to find a place to eat and my wife refused to have another hot dog or hamburger for dinner. We decided to leave the park, piled all 8 of us into the small rental I had and found the original Olive Garden. I was the only one with a car as I stayed in a nice motel in Kissemmee, but he stayed at the Hilton that offered bus service to the park. Had dinner there and then went back to the MK. We still laugh about that. Thank goodness for ADR's. That saves the day for us every trip, which by the way is in 67 days.

Yes, back when my parents took us in the 90's there was no such thing. We walked right up to restaurants and got tables (from what I remember). We took my Mom in 2014 and she still had that mentality of how it "used to be." Even though I repeatedly told her we had to make reservations for everything. Between the crowds, fast pass system and being turned away from various places she tried to do walk ups at, she was in shock the whole time.

It's surprising the amount of people that are still in the dark about a lot of things at WDW. And not just older people who probably used to visit many years ago when it was very different (I give them a pass). Last time we were there, a young family walked up to CRT and asked if they needed a reservation to eat there? I couldn't believe it. I've seen people do it at BOG too. And I've heard so much misinformation listening to families talk while riding the resort buses to the parks. I always want to correct them but I mostly stay quiet.

Well, because my time management skills have been lacking lately I ended up going to Great Clips to get a much needed hair cut before my trip this coming week. While I was getting my cut, the stylist and I were chatting since she knew I had never been there before and I told her that my regular stylist had moved and time just got away from me in looking for a replacement and then couldn't find anyone that was recommended to me that could fit me in before I left on my trip on Tuesday so I was at her mercy. So, she asked me what my trip was and I told her my DD and I were heading to WDW and she mentioned taking her DD when she was little and about how expensive everything was and how she had been thankful to have a friend that gave her tips and stuff before she went. The one tip she mentioned was going directly to the restaurant you wanted to eat at that day to get on the list for a table, because if you didn't go as soon as the park opened you could't get to eat at a regular restaurant that day because it would be all full by time you wanted to eat.

Oh my did I laugh. I told her it's changed now and that you make reservations from home up to 180 days in advance now. So funny! Anyone else remember those days?
The funny part is with the app, Disney could go back to day of reservations and it would actually make it far more convenient than booking at 180 days out. Better still, treat it like FP at Disneyland where you get an hour window to return during with a minimal wait, but you can't pick the hour window, you get it based on when book the "FP".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter