H E L P. Having second thoughts about Pop Century

stemikger

DIS Veteran
I need some help.

Here is my situation. I booked ten nights at Pop Century in August. This is a 40th birthday present to myself. My wife and 9 year old daughter will also be going. LOL. My wife has said that she would really like to stay at Coronado Springs. I booked a Preferred Room at Pop Century. For $383 more I could book a standard room in Coranado Springs. I was thinking of surprising her and booking CSR. My question is will it be worth getting a standard room at this resort or should I stick with a the Preferred Pop Century room. After looking at CSR pictures it looks like it has a lot more bells and whistles and the Pool looks awesome. If anyone has been to both I would love to hear your thoughts.

Confused???

Thanks for all your help.

:tongue: :sunny: :wave2:

I have stayed at both and each one is my favorite value and mod, so either way- you're good!!! Ten nights is s long time. I would not want to stay at a value resort for that long.For $383 more over that many nights, I would say to swtich it.

If I was there for 10 nights I would split my stay between resorts. WDW makes it easy to switch and will move your bags for you. Just pack your things at Pop, leave them in your room by the front window and bell services will pick them up if you are not in the room (don't forget to call bell services lol). It would make it seem like two vacations and the hassle of packing up and moving isn't bad with one child (we've done it with 4 children before, for less nights and we were glad we did it).

T&B

I've stayed at both resort. For 10 days, I would split my stay. This way you get to stay at the resort you want and your wife get to stay at the resort she wants. It's a win-win situation and both resorts are great!

I have stayed at CSR and loved it....but.....the pool can be extremely far from your room. They have nice sized quiet pools by each set of bldgs..however the main pool, with pyramid and slide can be quite a haul depending on where you end up. Pop century is a short walk from what I have heard.

Although I am not a fan of splitting my stay I would more than likely do that if you really want the Pop Century and she really wants CSR. We have split our stay before and it seemed to make the trip feel shorter some how. Silly I know.....

I know I am in the minority here but I would never split my stay. With three kids it is simply too much work to pack everything up and move. It is just a personal preference but we like to stay put once we are at Disney. I personally would spend the extra for a moderate. Again it is a personal choice but we don't enjoy the value resorts. My biggest complaint is that they are always loud. I want some place I can relax when I am not in the parks. Also I think your daughter would love having the slide at CSR. The value resorts do not have slides. I know it is Disney and you will have a great time no matter what. This choosing a resort concept is still a matter of personal choice. What one person loves another will hate.::yes::

We just got back from POP and we loved it. But... like you we asked for and got a preferred room. Ours was 4floor by facing the pool. Every morning they were doing something mechanical and loud by the pool at 7am. Awful for those extra minutes my 5yr old needed to sleep. And even though they were not supposed to be in the pool after 12 I think there were screaming children marco poloing until at least 1:30am. Next time I won't get preferred and will ask for a close room in the 50s or 70 building. they really would have been closer to the food and buses. Otherwise POP is my new fave value. Good luck!

Upgrade!

When we took my family a few years ago, everyone got a great deal on a flight about 12 hours ahead of time - they figured they would only be in the room for less than a day so they would go to the All-Star for the first night and then they were coming to the BWV with us the next day (we went to GF). They didn't arrive until 11pm, there was nothing to eat except pizza, no room service to speak of and my aunt who didn't get in to her room until quite late with her two boys (2 and 5) called me at 7 the next morning saying "Agghh!! There is no hairdryer!" I said "I know Mich, it is a value resort" She said, "No, you don't understand, ther is no hairdryer!"LOL! My grandmothers comment was "The room was decorated with a very garish lamp and scary hockey masks everywhere." Apparently they had put her in a Mighty Ducks room.

Upgrade.

We stayed for one night at Pop Century in March. We hated it! We have stayed at All Stars before and enjoyed our stay at Music in 2000.
I found the check in laborous at Pop Century, took forever and they put us way way way far away from the food court and bus stop even though we had two children in wheelchairs and explained we needed to be closer in and why.
Our room was by the computer pool. Even though we were facing the pool, the view was ugly by Disney standards, just concrete, and the computer pool was dinky and crowded and loud!
I could go on with more, but wont bore you with the details. We would not stay here again.
Have not stayed at CSR, but have stayed at Port Orleans and loved the moderates. BIG difference in quality.
Angela

Thanks everyone.

I really appreciate your input on this.

I think I am going to surprise my wife and switch and not tell her until we get there.

Thanks again.

:wave:

Hi,

Just back from both resorts and wouldn't hesitate in recommending either although they have different "look and feel".

Pop was our first value resort and we were very suprised. It's very compact and all the fixtures and fitting are very new.

I'd never go for a pool view as they all get crowded, busy and very noisy at some time or other.

CSR was a very different animal - it had a more "mature" and upscale feel to it. Yes, you can be a long way from the main pool although other locations do have a "quiet" pool nearby.

As you can see from my sig file we are avid resort hoppers!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter