Guided Tours of Disneyland Paris

Thanks for your post, sounds great, I'm hoping to do this tour this week. I read on another forum that people doing the tour were offered preferential viewing for the parade and had their names taken at City Hall and then checked off on a list at the parade area, were you offered this? Thanks.

I had read that too Clare before we went, and no, we weren't offered the preferred viewing, but I asked our guide if we could have it, and she said yes, no problem at all. We went to City Hall a couple of hours before the parade to find out exactly where we should go (and to be honest I think thats when our names were put on the list, I don't think Ann-Sophie had done it beforehand), and when we got to the viewing spot the CM was expecting us :).

Brilliant, thanks for that. I'm going to do the tour myself, the kids are too small so dh is going to take them back to the hotel for a nap. I'm really looking forward to it, more so now after reading your review, thanks :goodvibes

ETA: love the comment about Snow White and the clogs!!

So, we'd enjoyed our guided tour of the main park so much on our last visit to DLP in June, that we decided we had to do the Walt Disney Studios version this time around. We did the tour on Monday 18th February, at 3pm. By coincidence we had the same tour guide this time around, Ann-Sophie :).

The tour took just over one hour, and concentrated on movie-making. We had a lovely crisp sunny afternoon, a big improvement over the bucketing rain we had in June when we did the main park tour!

We started in the front lot Place Lumiere, named after the French brothers, pioneers of filmmaking (their film showing a workforce walking through gates is one of the first clips you see in Cinemagique, and they used their own staff to make the film). We talked about the big gates and architecture of the buildings here, reflecting the working studios in California in the 40s. The fountain is part of the appearance of grandness at the front of a working Studio of the time this is also why there is often a big black limousine in the front lot. We then went to the bottom of the Earful tower, and talked about why it was there (a water tower was part of every working studio, for fire-fighting purposes).

Then in Studio One, we talked about the numbers on the buildings, all of them all over the Studios are significant dates relating to Disney and its imagineers. We saw the facades (ie real-looking on the front, wood struts on the back) and the props in En Coulisse, again following what would appear in a real working studio. Studio One is completely sound-proofed, so it can be used as a real working studio.

Out into the main body of the park, we talked about the shape of the flower bed where the Partners statue is (its shaped like an old film cannister). We briefly went into Art of Animations first room, where we saw and talked a bit about the camera contraption which gave the first 3D effects (painted cells positioned on top of others) which were featured in the Old Mill cartoon for the first time, and also in the Snow White movie. Outside the building, we saw the small statues of some of the animations these were used before the filmmaking process began on each movie, to film the characters from every angle. We walked around the Toon studios area, and talked about why the rides and attractions (including Toy Story Playland) are situated together the idea being that in this area of the Studios, the toons have taken control and they are making the movies :goodvibes. In Toy Story Playland, we talked about the 2 balls which are prominent here the coloured ball appears in every Disney Pixar movie somewhere, and the red ball is the one featured at the starting short of Pixar movies, where the desklights play with it. We also were shown (I had never noticed this before) the start/go switch on the side of RC racer ride it moves when the ride starts. I had also not noticed that Andy had signed his name on the toy airplane outside the Parachute Drop ride until today.

From TSPL we walked past Tower of Terror and onto Rue George Melies, stopping briefly outside the rotunda area of Restaurant des Stars, from where we could see the mural in the ceiling dome (again, Ive never noticed this before), showing the sequence, end-to-end, of a blockbuster movie being made. We also talked about why George Melies was honoured here in the Studios (he was one of the first filmmakers to use and create special effects in his movies).

In the Backlot we saw the big gates (which are kept open in WDS) in a working studio these would be closed when special effects/stunts were being done. The backlot is all about big props, special effects (including music making, which is why RnR rollercoaster is there) and stunts. Hence Armageddon, the Stunt show, and the Blockbuster Café (basically one big store-room of props). Inside the Blockbuster Café, we saw the display case in the HSM side where the costumes are, which are the authentic costumes from the movie. We walked around by Les Cascadeurs restaurant (which was unfortunately closed) and talked about how it was transported in its entirety from Germany, and its the oldest restaurant in all of the Disney parks (it was used as a diner by the American GIs in the 2nd world war).

We then walked around the back of the Tower of Terror building, seeing the vehicles which are at the end of the Tram Tour etc. I had never walked that way before - the Tower of Terror building is huge! We ended our tour outside the Tower of Terror, where we talked about the inspiration for the ride being an episode of the French version of Twilight Zone which never aired. We talked about the fastpass area for this ride looking like piles of discarded luggage etc, to tie in with the décor inside the Hotel foyer, ie everyone, guests and staff alike, ran away in haste after the 5 people in the lift disappeared into the Twilight Zone.
As Tower of Terror is my DDs favourite ride, Ann-Sophie suggested we come back and do the specific Tower of Terror tour, which is available early morning (before official park opening time) on Saturday and Wednesday mornings (but book in advance).

We had a very pleasant wander around the Studios, learning all about its inspiration and layout etc. At the end of the tour we each got a blue pin, similar to the pink one we had received when we did the guided tour of the main park.

I'm a real fan of the guided tours, you see so much that you've never noticed before, and get a great insight into the reasons why DLP is what it is :thumbsup2. Hopefully next time we are back in The Magic, we'll be able to do the Tower of Terror tour.

Thanks Elaine for the description of the WDS tour. Definitely doing to do this on our trip next week. Do you know if they are doing the ToT tour in English now?

Thanks Elaine for the description of the WDS tour. Definitely doing to do this on our trip next week. Do you know if they are doing the ToT tour in English now?

I'd book the tour in advance by email - first one to book gets to choose which language the tour is conducted in :).

I'm honestly not sure whether the Tower of Terror tour has an English option - but that was the impression Ann-Sophie gave me when we were talking about it. I'd ask the question when you email to book the Studios tour if I were you.

:scared1::hyper::crowded: How did I not know all of these details before?! I love this!!!! :woohoo:

Thank you so much for sharing Elaine! After reading these - I am definitely going to surprise my DBF with a guided tour as part of his birthday present whilst we're in the magic this year! He will love it ::yes::

I noticed you mentioned solo-tours. Was this purely because you and your lovely princess were alone or do you know if you can actually pre-book and pay extra for a solo guided tour? I would love to book that and make a real treat out of it for us...him... I meant him, of course!

I'm already thinking Ponchielli's (or Barcardi Royale's as the spoiled-sports have renamed them) in Café Fantasia afterwards... oh I'm excited!!!! :hyper::hyper::hyper:

:scared1::hyper::crowded: How did I not know all of these details before?! I love this!!!! :woohoo:

Thank you so much for sharing Elaine! After reading these - I am definitely going to surprise my DBF with a guided tour as part of his birthday present whilst we're in the magic this year! He will love it ::yes::

I noticed you mentioned solo-tours. Was this purely because you and your lovely princess were alone or do you know if you can actually pre-book and pay extra for a solo guided tour? I would love to book that and make a real treat out of it for us...him... I meant him, of course!

I'm already thinking Ponchielli's (or Barcardi Royale's as the spoiled-sports have renamed them) in Café Fantasia afterwards... oh I'm excited!!!! :hyper::hyper::hyper:

sounds like a fab plan to me Adam :goodvibes.
It was just coincidence I think that we were the only ones on both tours, I booked in advance by email this time, but waited until we got to the resort last year, and booked it for a couple of days after we arrived. I would recommend booking by email in advance though, that way you know for definite you'll be doing the tour. If you wait until you get there to book, it might already be booked out and you might not get your preferred language.

Thanks Elaine, I've booked our tour of WDS today with VIP Relations.

With regards to the ToT tour this was their reply.

As far as the guided tour of the Tower of Terror is concerned, I'm sorry to inform you that this service is only available in French.

sounds like a fab plan to me Adam :goodvibes.
It was just coincidence I think that we were the only ones on both tours, I booked in advance by email this time, but waited until we got to the resort last year, and booked it for a couple of days after we arrived. I would recommend booking by email in advance though, that way you know for definite you'll be doing the tour. If you wait until you get there to book, it might already be booked out and you might not get your preferred language.

Thanks for the tip Elaine! :goodvibes

Silly question - is this the guest communications email address? Or is there a specific one for the tours? Sorry to be a pain :angel:

I noticed you mentioned solo-tours.

When DW and I did the tour of the DLP park a few years ago we were the only two on it then, Ann-Sophie was our guide for that too. I think it took us about two and half hours to complete.

You can book a VIP Experience for about 300 Euros I think. Here is an old thread about them.

Saw a group on one on my last trip and they did get shown straight onto rides without any waiting and had a Tour Guide with them all day.

its a very special email address you use for the guided tours :) -

dlp.relations.vip@disney.com

Oooooh, now you know I love special email addresses, especially with my favourite word in it "VIP" princess: Thank you!!!!! :goodvibes

When DW and I did the tour of the DLP park a few years ago we were the only two on it then, Ann-Sophie was our guide for that too. I think it took us about two and half hours to complete.

You can book a VIP Experience for about 300 Euros I think. Here is an old thread about them.

Saw a group on one on my last trip and they did get shown straight onto rides without any waiting and had a Tour Guide with them all day.

Oh no, you've done a naughty little thing there telling me there's a VIP experience going :rotfl2: DBF will literally shred my credit card in front of me if he catches wind of this! :scratchin I must investigate further and find a way around this :surfweb:

Thanks both!!! :grouphug:

Oh no, you've done a naughty little thing there telling me there's a VIP experience going :rotfl2: DBF will literally shred my credit card in front of me if he catches wind of this! :scratchin I must investigate further and find a way around this :surfweb:

Thanks both!!! :grouphug:

Then hide your card now :rotfl2:

To be honest the VIP experience is really not worth the cost but the tours are fantastic and well worth the 15 Euros.

Have fun planning your trip pixiedust:

How far in advance can you book the tour? Is it 60 days like the dining reservations? And do you just pay when you get there? Thanks!

I have just booked the tour today did one in Florida but this is our first in Paris, do you get a pin at the end of it?, if anyone can tell me:)

How far in advance can you book the tour? Is it 60 days like the dining reservations? And do you just pay when you get there? Thanks!

I booked about 2 weeks in advance, by email. You arrive at 10 minutes before your tour begins, at City Hall, and pay then, before the tour starts.

I have just booked the tour today did one in Florida but this is our first in Paris, do you get a pin at the end of it?, if anyone can tell me:)

yes, you get a special pin at the end of each tour (the main park one is pink, the studios park one is blue).

We did our tour on Saturday, I believe they only book one group at a time and for me that meant it was just myself and my child. So since he is under 12, he was free and I paid a bit more, then with the shareholders discount it was 15 Euros.

I arrived a bit before 1 pm and met our guide Robbin. He was young and knew his Disney history. I think however age and experience prevailed as I have taken the backstage tour at WDW and also know weird Disney facts. He would ask did you know what happen on that day. I would say yes, WDW opened, Disney was born, first disney film, etc.

I did learn new things about the park, the name Disney and how it goes back to a town in France.

We only got down main street and to fantasyland. We had a few stops for DS as we had to get candy floss. Also something new I learned, DS kept asking for cotton candy and Robbin didn't really know but when he say it and ran to the machine, he knew. It was fun to have the three of us walking in fantasyland talking about the different areas and pulling off the candy floss.

Next time I will book another tour and do the other lands.

Was there a reason you only did main st and fantasyland on your tour? we did all the lands, main st, the park entrance and the castle on ours.

Do I just email them asking for a tour in English during one of the days we are visiting? and after the tour do you still get preferred seating for the parade?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter