"Guess who`s back"...3 Return for 3 Weeks @ RPR. Parks, KSC with lots of good food and fun...A May 2023 TR

schumigirl

It's a bit of a roodie doodie word for lady parts
i-2sPcr8q-S.gif

A very warm welcome to our brand new May 2023 Pre Trip Report....... :flower3:

i-hHhZqrV-Th.gif

This Pre-Trip report has come around quickly as most of you know I`ve not long finished the September/October TR from last year, well I have the excuse that it ended up being a rather longer than planned trip, thanks to a hurricane of course, but can`t complain at all as we loved the extra time we had in Florida.

But, for this trip we have 3 weeks of hopefully fun and sun to look forward to, this is our 25th trip to Orlando and well over 400 nights staying between both Sapphire Falls and RPR and we are not showing any signs of getting bored yet. We still love both hotels, we love the parks and we love most things about Orlando and further afield. I know some folks come and only stay within the confines of whichever park they visit, and that`s wonderful if that`s what you love, but as most of you know, we love to get around and see some of the real Florida out with the classic tourist areas and there are so many things to see and do.

And for this trip.....as the title kind of suggests.....we will be back up to 3 for this trip!! We are so excited that Kyle will join us again for this one, something we didn`t think would happen again for a few more years!

i-Kzp95Jv-S.gif

Hence the title of "Guess who`s back" ::yes::

He is taking a month of vacation time for this trip which still leaves him plenty of time for other trips he has planned and individual weekends away and so on, it`s something he is so looking forward to as he was last with us for our Christmas trip in 2019, so it feels a long time for him. I don`t post much about Kyle generally, except the basics, but he has made us incredibly proud over the years and continues to do so in every aspect of his life. His work colleagues, friends, people he meets all tell us how wonderful a young man he is, polite, kind and very respectful to everyone.....his bosses sing his praises too which is always lovely to hear, it`s not just us being biased. He also has a wicked sense of humour which we love so much!!

Kyle at Christmas when we were up in Scotland last year.

i-8ZkPj8D-M.jpg

Very different from our first trip way back in 2007.....I can still remember the excitement of our very first trip to Florida....well, Tom had been before to Miami, but as a family, our first trip was to celebrate my 40th Birthday.

i-Rvcjv7q-M.jpg

i-HsgTsFR-M.jpg

He has certainly changed in that time, as they do of course......but he is still a chocaholic!!

i-K7Jfn6T-M.jpg

So, you can imagine how excited we all are for this trip.

Our ovenight hotel is what used to just be a Marriott, it`s now a Delta hotel, still under the same Marriott umbrella, it`s been a few years since we`ve stayed there and for a time after the pandemic their reviews were dreadful, really awful so we wondered if we`d ever stay there again. But, they`ve gone back to be very good again and their Executive lounge has opened back up again which was a requirement for us to book it again. We did enjoy our stays here several times.

de-manda-hotel-exterior13467-90747:Pano-Hor

We have 2 Executive Rooms booked for our overnight stay, rooms are light, airy and very clean and the only downside to this hotel for us is it`s a little like a rabbit warren and quite a walk to the rooms from reception, not a dealbreaker of course but with heavy suitcases it`s quite a haul.

It`s not a downside either, but the Radisson is attached to the airport and a five minute walk down to the terminal, this hotel means we have to get the shuttle to the airport, but they run every 15 minutes and will be ideal for us really and only takes around 10 minutes to get to T2.

i-4NMGqST-M.jpg

The Executive Lounge is very nice in this hotel, it doesn`t have the same views as the Radisson, but it has a very nice feel about it and we found the staff to be very nice too. It has soft drinks and the usual tea and coffee all day, then beers and wine from 5pm and a decent food selection on offer and so far on our stays, it hasn`t been too busy.

i-tsdbNWn-M.jpg

We do like the bar area they have, and this is usually our first stop when we arrive for a celebratory drink and some lunch as we usually arrive around lunchtime, purely as we can`t wait to get our trip started with a bottle of bubbly...we really are creatures of habit 🥂

i-vzrmS6n-M.jpg

i-cftb66T-M.jpg

Although we book the Executive lounge, we only sample the food on offer, we prefer to eat in one of their two restaurants, Brasserie Blanc which is one of Raymond Blanc`s places. It is very nice and we`ve always enjoyed our meals there, they do a very nice steak or Chateaubriand which we have enjoyed before. The other restaurant is Italian and doesn`t appeal to us at all.

i-NKhjdh2-M.jpg

Flights again are with our favourite airline.....Virgin Atlantic.....❤️

i-4h4r8mv-M.jpg

We fly on April 30th in premium and managed to book our favourite back two seats and one in front by the window for both journey`s again, Tom will sit on the seat in front at the window and Kyle and I will sit together and yes, he gets the window......well, I can`t not give him that seat!

As of now we are departing that day at our latest time ever. When we booked these flights it was 11am departure time, now after 3 changes it`s leaving at 13.40 so we don`t arrive in Orlando till 6pm, we`re not used to arriving so late, but not much we can do about that!! The upside is we will have time to enjoy the Executive Lounge for breakfast which we don`t usually manage as we usually leave the hotel around 6am when they start serving breakfast. We won`t leave till maybe 10am for check in at the airport, so it`ll be a relaxing morning for us. I`m sure we`ll still be up as early as we usually are when that old excitement kicks in!

As we will have had a good breakfast, we decided against booking one of the lounges as we usually do, instead we`ll grab something if we feel like it. We always find our travel day we eat far too much as the time zones seem to not mix well for food!!! I feel we eat about 8 meals in one day, so the breakfast should do us till we get food on the plane, then eat again when we arrive......it is a lot of food!

More planning and ideas ahead in the coming weeks.......

As always, hope you enjoy this one too......it`s always lovely to have such nice company along the way......:wave2:

i-cSZs6tw-S.gif

cv21-S.jpg

And we're off! So excited to come along on your new TR! Love that your handsome young man will be with you, and of course nice to have Kyle along, too! :laughing:

I'm eager to hear all of your plans. Let's get it started! party:

With your arrival to UO for check in, you will be able to go to bed a lot earlier than you have in the past

Of course I will love this report… All your trip reports are fantastic.

That`s true and a positive thing as we usually struggle to stay awake past 9pm, and we do try but by the time we eat (we do have to eat of course...lol) we`ll be ready to pop straight to bed I would think.

Thank you.....you`re one of the biggest cheerleaders on here, always good to see your posts!!

And we're off! So excited to come along on your new TR! Love that your handsome young man will be with you, and of course nice to have Kyle along, too! :laughing:

I'm eager to hear all of your plans. Let's get it started! party:

:welcome: back Maria.......

lol......yep, we`re so looking forward to a trip together, we don`t get to spend as much time with him as we used to.....his life if very full which is lovely, so when we got this chance to take a trip together, we jumped at it.

We do have some thoughts on what we`ll get up to this time around, definitely KSC and there have been some new additions since we were last there, so we`ve avoided looking too closely at those so we can see them all first hand and lots of restaurant choices to think about......I think chocolate desserts will be a priority in his choices!!

I think this trip will be slightly busier than we`re used to!!!

Good to see you here and I`m sorry we miss you both by a few days......:wave2:

Hurray! Looking so forward to reading about all of y'all's fabulous adventures in Florida and Universal. Have a wonderful trip over!!!

:welcome: along Skywalker......

Good to see you and yes, I really hope you enjoy coming along again for another TR!!

We cannot wait for this trip and are so excited for it to begin.....ever want to just Fast Forward but at the same time want to enjoy the build up to a trip........::yes::

Glad to have you along for this one too, hope you enjoy it........:wave2:

Woohoo 🎉 How wonderful to have Kyle along for the whole 3 weeks! And a trip to KSC. Fantastic!!! I am looking forward to your trip report - as always. :love:
Brenda

:welcome: Brenda too!!!

I think the plan is to have two days at KSC this visit, there`s so much to see and do there, one day isn`t enough so we`ll have to plan that for sure.

And yes, it`ll be like old times having him with us again, we didn`t think he`d want to come with us again, but when the chance came up.....yahoo!!

I`m so glad you will be along too.....:wave2:

We knew our Global Entry expired this year, we first got it in 2018 when we knew we`d be having five trips to the USA in that one year and we planned four trips in 2019 and it is ideal for us and it does last five years. So we had until September to renew it, but I thought we might as well get it renewed early and it would easily cover us for this year trips.

For the first part, you have to apply to the UK Government for a code, you first fill in your personal details and it has to be completely exact with this info, this has a cost of $52 for each of us. You can wait up to 10 days for this code to be issued through a txt on your phone, but we only waited till the next morning till it came through.

Next morning I got on the TSA website and began the process of filling out all of our details again, any mistake and your application is denied, so it is quite a nerve inducing process, I make sure no one talks to me or there are any distractions. And the cost for this is $100 each and worth every cent.

Once the application has gone through, you wait for a txt to say there has been a change in your application status and according to their website this can take anything up to 18 months.

We Brits also need an ESTA to travel, this is something you apply for every 2 years at a bargain $21 each, if you don`t have that, you don`t fly. And if you are denied GE, you lose your ESTA, so you have to then go down a Visa route!

Tom spent the four days telling me not to worry it would all be fine!

i-Jq2jsSH-S.gif

I knew he was right, but I`m a worrier with things like that...

When we did our first GE application, it took a month to come through, this time the applications were filled in on a Tuesday afternoon and we woke up on the Saturday morning with a txt to check the site and thankfully both our applications had been approved.....::yes::

Another 5 years of GE. It is a benefit as we don`t need to stand in the regular immigration line when we get off the plane, we go through with Americans and it also gives us TSA Pre-Check which works well on the way home.

That is one of the few areas we really need to plan for, checking Passports are valid, Esta`s in place for 3 of us and GE for two. It`s not worth getting it for Kyle as this is a one off trip till whenever.

One of the easiest decisions for us was which hotel to stay at and as most of you know we adore RPR and although we love Sapphire too, for Kyle he wanted to stay here, so RP it was.

I`ve written before how we walked through those doors many, many years ago now and fell in love with the hotel, over the years we never lost our connection with it and continued to stay year after year, so we knew this was where he would opt for.

We have a King Suite and we`ll get Kyle a rollaway.....he`s slept on one of those before and found it to be comfortable, certainly comfier than the pull out sofa and during the day it goes upright and takes up no space over by the door.

With the King Suite we get double the closet space which we do need for three folks, although I have said I`ll try and not take as many clothes with us this year. I can but try :rolleyes1.....just means I might need to do laundry a few more times which really doesn`t bother me.There is a very good closet in the bedroom and the extra one is in the sitting area where the safe is.

The last times Kyle has been with us, we`ve found there is plenty of room for the rollaway, especially as it`s only out during the night, so doesn`t affect our space during day or evening hours.

i-bCMJ6SZ-X2.jpg

i-PG8Sp6Z-X2.jpg

i-3TsvpPf-X2.jpg

Many people comment they couldn`t be "stuck" with their family in one room for any length of time and don`t know how we can do it.....the answer is, very easily. It`s a pleasure to be able to spend so much time together once again just the three of us and we certainly never feel as though we`re stuck. I hope we get to have one night where we get room service and watch a movie together, we always used to enjoy that.

So, we`ll be happy with our sleeping arrangements for this trip, having one bathroom is something, like a lot of families we are not used to and we haven`t ever had to share a bathroom except for on vacations, but we are family.....and it`s not something we are even remotely bothered by and even the barn door doesn`t give us any problems, I know many folks complain about that.

We do like the bathroom area, having the sink available if someone is using the facilities or in the shower is ideal, I can be drying and straightening my hair while one of them is in the shower.

i-pwdXgnJ-X2.jpg

i-n7xpN6L-X2.jpg

More to come.....:)

Last edited:
Ooh, the various documents to fly sound so complicated! I'm happy you are all set on that front. The king suite will be lovely. Having the lounge to hang out and relax will also be wonderful! I know you are going to be quite happy to flop into bed that first night :D

Along for the ride!!

What you called creatures of habit on vacation I call family traditions! 😁

RP has a charm that's hard to describe. We fell in love with it the first time we stayed there in 2012 as well.
This past trip we stayed at Portifino and it just doesn't have that feel for us. The room decor has no appeal to us at all. The resort was fine, the staff was fine, food was fine, but we won't be back. We all agreed that staying at RP would have increased our enjoyment overall. The location is much better for us as well to just walk over to Strongwater or Bistro 17.

Hi Carole :wave2:
I’m joining in and excited to hear about your May trip!
My sister and I are heading down in April. I was trying to get my son Jack to join us but it doesn’t work for him. I certainly don’t mind staying in the room with my kids!
We are spending one night at PB at US and my sister is excited to spend time at USO again.
Andi and I have the TSA precheck and I just renewed ours for another five years it is the best money I have ever spent! So worth it.
I’m happy to hear your son is able to travel with you on this trip. I’m sure there will be a lot of Chocolate cake 😊 pictures!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter