"Guaranteed Verandah with Restrictions" what does this mean?

Rebecca Pocahontas

Mouseketeer
I am looking at a cruise on the Disney Dream and if I choose the option where they pick my room for me I can get a verandah for only $150 more than an oceanview(which is what I would normally pick). I've always picked my own room on any cruise line before, but I don't understand what the "restrictions" part means. For my family on this cruise it would cost about $6000 for a verandah room if I chose the room, but if I let them choose with the "restrictions" it is only $4600. I am mostly wondering why it is so much cheaper to do it this way. It seems like I am missing or misinterpreting something.

The definitions of various guarantee statuses are pinned to the top of the threads. Basically, you are giving up your right to pick your room and having to pay in full with no ability to cancel in exchange for the discount.

This is how Disney does discounts on cruises that aren't selling well. You can pick your category of room, they'll pick the room. You can't make any changes to the reservation and have to pay in full--those are the restrictions. Also, they generally assign you a room 1-2 weeks before your cruise, so you won't know the exact room number until then.

I copy/pasted the info from one of the restricted fare rates below, so you can see all the restrictions.

Your Stateroom Is Guaranteed

We guarantee that your stateroom, which we’ll select for you, will be in the category chosen or a higher category.
Please rest assured that while you cannot select a specific stateroom, you’ll have one assigned to you by the time you arrive at the ship.

Other important details about this restricted-fare category stateroom are:

• This category guarantees you a stateroom within the stateroom type selected (Inside Stateroom, Oceanview Stateroom, Oceanview Stateroom with Verandah). Disney Cruise Line will assign the stateroom at a later time, based on availability for all guaranteed staterooms of this type.
  • Full payment is required at the time of booking for all Guests and is non-refundable.
  • Sail date and stateroom category changes are not permitted.
  • Full legal names of all Guests are required at time of booking and no name changes are allowed.
  • The stateroom offer cannot be combined with any other discounted or promotional offer.
  • This category and pricing can be applied to new bookings only. If you have an existing reservation and want to change to a restricted-fare category stateroom, you’ll need to cancel the existing reservation and make a new reservation. Any cancellation fees regarding the original reservation will apply.

How far out is the cruise? If farther than September ish it’s prob not GT rates it’s GTY which isn’t the hard restrictions listed above. GTY means you’ll get the category listed or above on any deck/location. We’ve done GTY for 2 cruises and gotten fantastic rooms (both 7a verandah and ended up in category 4) to where I’ll stalk out GTY and switch when it’s available. Switched my sept reservation from 8a to GTY 5a about 2 months ago for $120 total for a year 4 nights

It’s not a bad way to save some money. I’ve done two VGT cruises and both turned out to be great staterooms.

I ended up on deck 10 for one cruise and deck 7 for the Fantasy where I was given a deluxe family stateroom and that extra square footage may not seem like a lot, but it makes a big difference. Even better that I saved around a grand by going GTY.

Just be prepared that Disney may not assign your room up until the day of the cruise which can be frustrating.

The other cons: no OBC, the guaranteed rooms can not be combined with any other offers or discounts (including placeholders), and you are unable to cancel.

It’s not a bad way to save some money. I’ve done two VGT cruises and both turned out to be great staterooms.

I ended up on deck 10 for one cruise and deck 7 for the Fantasy where I was given a deluxe family stateroom and that extra square footage may not seem like a lot, but it makes a big difference. Even better that I saved around a grand by going GTY.

Just be prepared that Disney may not assign your room up until the day of the cruise which can be frustrating.

The other cons: no OBC, the guaranteed rooms can not be combined with any other offers or discounts (including placeholders), and you are unable to cancel.

I think we discussed this before. If your TA offers OBC, you can get it even on this category. I used Dreams Unlimited and have booked Vg or OGT several times, and most recently just a few weeks ago. I had OGT on my recent cruise and got an OBC on this cruise.

I think we discussed this before. If your TA offers OBC, you can get it even on this category. I used Dreams Unlimited and have booked Vg or OGT several times, and most recently just a few weeks ago. I had OGT on my recent cruise and got an OBC on this cruise.
Thanks for mentioning that. I stand corrected. I need to book with Dreams for my next cruise. I think you only have so many days to transfer the placeholder to them.

Thanks for mentioning that. I stand corrected. I need to book with Dreams for my next cruise. I think you only have so many days to transfer the placeholder to them.

Yes, I’m thinking 30 days, but it’s prob on their website

Anyone know when they put the VGT with Restrictions out? In other words what does DCL consider last minute. We just decided this week to book a 1/24/20 cruise and today is 75 days out, but no VGT with restrictions are available. I was hoping to snag one since we don't care what deck we are on as long as we have a verandah.

The difference there is that you're not getting that OBC from Disney. Your OBC is basically a "cut" from the travel agency's (and by extension, the travel agent's) commission.

Anyone know when they put the VGT with Restrictions out? In other words what does DCL consider last minute. We just decided this week to book a 1/24/20 cruise and today is 75 days out, but no VGT with restrictions are available. I was hoping to snag one since we don't care what deck we are on as long as we have a verandah.
They have restricted in they 1/25 and 1/26 cruises so not sure if or when it will come out in the 1/24. Did you book?

If there is a formula, Disney doesn’t share that. Some cruises never get a GT rate, and there doesn’t currently seem to be any discount for the three night Dream sailings in January. There is a 4 night on Jan 13 if your plans are flexible.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/current-gt-mto-flr-discounts.3244232/page-189#post-61221171

Thank you for this through explanation. Fare is lower But risk is higher if you have to cancel and have no refund option.
These days so much can happen.

Europe airfare has it's big teeth out now! Whew! What a shock.
Lots to think about. But, we all need a splurge vacation now and again. We appreciate the vacation so much more

Thanks so much again!

Thank you for this through explanation. Fare is lower But risk is higher if you have to cancel and have no refund option.
These days so much can happen.
Once you get within 30 days when most emergency’s happen it really doesn’t matter how you booked your going to need insurance to get your money back. DCL‘s cancel for any reason will cover a GT rate.
I would suggest getting insurance for peace of mind.

Yeah, I was tempted at a transatlantic 11-night from Southampton to NY at only $5400 for a Verandah stateroom (not VGT) for 4 people. But then I looked at flight cost to England, and from NY back home, almost the same cost again.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter