GTY - tell me about it!

what are the benefits of bookimg a gty room? Are upgrades usual?

It is guaranteed that you will receive the type cabin you have booked, or better. Sometimes I was upgraded, sometimes I wasn’t.

ex: Once, I booked an Ocean View GTY. I was upgraded to a Navigator’s Verandah Cabin (with Mickey View)... 3EDB8E1D-516A-4165-BA4D-915226687E31.jpeg. Another time, I booked a cabin with an extended balcony, I was upgraded to a reassigned handicap cabin. My balcony was gigantic and the cabin, while having no bath and just a shower, was very spacious... 062EA298-B72D-4D21-A536-BAA586483A2D.jpeg

The third time, I had exactly what I booked/what I paid for... Nothing special.

Last edited:
The one time we booked gty we did not get upgraded, we booked 5c and got 5c. The benefit was it was a FL resident discount on gty only, saved us about 25% vs if we had booked a similar verandah room without the gty/discount offer.

Last edited:
It is guaranteed that you will receive the type cabin you have booked, or better. Sometimes I was upgraded, sometimes I wasn’t.

ex: Once, I booked an Ocean View GTY. I was upgraded to a Navigator’s Verandah Cabin (with Mickey View)View attachment 580802. Another time, I booked a cabin with an extended balcony, I was upgraded to a reassigned handicapped cabin. My balcony was gigantic and the cabin, while having no bath and just a shower, was very spacious.View attachment 580801
so if we booked a GTY Extended Balcony, we could be 'upgraded' to a regular sized balcony on the port or starboard? That to me is not an upgrade. I really wish we could have booked with an actual stateroom number instead of GTY. Our cancelled May cruise we were able to, but when we rebooked to September, it was only GTY.

so if we booked a GTY Extended Balcony, we could be 'upgraded' to a regular sized balcony on the port or starboard? That to me is not an upgrade. I really wish we could have booked with an actual stateroom number instead of GTY. Our cancelled May cruise we were able to, but when we rebooked to September, it was only GTY.

No, you would get an extended balcony... or better. An extended balcony is a specific type of cabin.

No, you would get an extended balcony... or better. An extended balcony is a specific type of cabin.
Really? i though 4A through 4D (family verandah room w regular balcony) is considered a higher category than 4E (extended verandah)?

Really? i though 4A through 4D (family verandah room w regular balcony) is considered a higher category than 4E (extended verandah)?
Exactly! An extended balcony is a 5E, so there is Concierge and the category 4 cabins above it. I wouldn't consider a smaller verandah an upgrade. Concierge, yes!

Cruise Itinerary:​
7-Night Halloween on the High Seas Western Caribbean Cruise from Port Canaveral​
Category:​
05E​
Embark Date:​
25-Sep-2021​
Stateroom:​
GTY​
Debark Date:​
02-Oct-2021​
Description:​
Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with Verandah​
Ship:​
Disney Fantasy​

580814Guest Information

so if we booked a GTY Extended Balcony, we could be 'upgraded' to a regular sized balcony on the port or starboard? That to me is not an upgrade.
The interior of a category 4 cabin is a bigger than the interior of a category 5 cabin. That is why it's an upgrade. A category 4 cabin will also have the popular round tub in the bathroom with rainfall shower, while the category 5 will only have the rectangular tub and standard shower head. Most category 4 cabins will also have a murphy bed available by the verandah door, unlike category 5 cabins.

The 5E extended verandah has its appeal but realize that it's uncovered, so you might have to deal with things occasionally being dropped or tossed onto your verandah, and people above will be able to see you clearly when you're out on the extended part of the verandah.

Last edited:

ex: Once, I booked an Ocean View GTY. I was upgraded to a Navigator’s Verandah Cabin (with Mickey View)... View attachment 580802. Another time, I booked a cabin with an extended balcony, I was upgraded to a reassigned handicap cabin. My balcony was gigantic and the cabin, while having no bath and just a shower, was very spacious... View attachment 580801

The third time, I had exactly what I booked/what I paid for... Nothing special.

How many loungers can fit with that extended balcony?

How many loungers can fit with that extended balcony?
At least two would fit, but realize that you're not guaranteed to be allowed to have loungers there. Loungers don't automatically come with the verandah (just regular chairs), and I've read multiple reports of people asking for loungers for their extended verandah during their cruise. Some requests were granted, others denied for "safety reasons".

I just booked my first GTY and it feels so strange to me to not know my cabin number. It is not a big deal but the suspense is killing me :) Only 354 days to wait and see. :rolleyes1

It’s part of the fun. A few years ago, we used to get our number assigned about 50 days before the cruise. I would check the website 5 times a day from day 60 to … once, day 45 if I remember correctly.

what are the benefits of bookimg a gty room? Are upgrades usual?
A regular GTY booking (i.e., 4B GTY or 11A GTY, etc.) allows DCL to assign you a stateroom of that specific category or higher. However, upgrades are not usual and most people are assigned to exactly the category they booked.

I just booked my first GTY and it feels so strange to me to not know my cabin number. It is not a big deal but the suspense is killing me :) Only 354 days to wait and see. :rolleyes1
Me too! I mean, as long as I get my oceanview family with veranda, I dont care where I am but I would sure like to know! lol

The benefit is the cost savings.
That's a *GT discounted rate.

Regular category GTY such as 4B GTY or 11A GTY are not discounted, and in fact with tiered pricing are higher priced than those who booked the same category before you. These are offered when a certain percentage of a staterooms in a category are booked, allowing DCL some flexibility to assign staterooms. There is no particular benefit to GTY other than you are guaranteed the booked category or higher.

The *GT rates (IGT, OGT, VGT) are highly discounted rates with restrictions. Similar in that you allow DCL to assign a stateroom in the broad category or higher. But includes restrictions such as no changes or cancellations.

I don’t know, a CM told me we would definitely get an extended verandah.
That's probably true in practice, since, as others have said, upgrades are rare. There was a thread a while back tracking GTY rooms assigned and almost everyone got the same category, or same room type in a slightly higher category (e.g., a higher floor). They automatically go to GTY when there are just a few rooms left in the category, but they don't sell more GTY than there are rooms available in that category. I'm not sure why some GTY people get upgrades, but I suspect it may happen if they come up on the limit for the muster station for the remaining rooms in your category after everyone else in that part of the ship is booked.

The point is DCL does have the right to move you out of an extended verandah category since GTY rate terms include the ability for DCL to move you to what DCL considers a "higher" category (whether or not you view that as an upgrade).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!