Grumpy Challenge 2017.... A Marathon Weekend TR (Updated 3/19 Final Thoughts)

sorry the line at RNRC took so long and you missed the Star Wars Fireworks show - hope you got to see it later in your trip

Glad you commented that despite the issue with the vans your feet wound up ok for the races

Looks like a fun breakfast at 1900 PF and characters like the Mad Hatter really make the experience

Bummer about all the long lines but like you said, with a large group it is hard to go against what the majority want

Totally agree with you about the Towne Center for Disney Springs - it looks really nice but feels like a high-end outlet mall. I am sure some people love that and love the opportunity to shop at those stores, but I can't imagine that is _that_ many people ... so will be interesting to see if that model sticks or if it evolves into something else. All the new restaurant options are great though!

Glad you got to see the drone show for yourself. I really like the idea of the Christmas Tree trail and think DS needs things like that for people to do and experience as a draw to it, but execution seemed off - just looked like a bunch of fake trees in a parking lot.

Maybe since I am from the NYC area and there are tons of cupcake options, but I am one of those that doesn't think Sprinkles is worth the hype ... that said, the idea of a cupcake sundae sounds amazing!

i agree Disney Springs definitely has an outlet mall feel. And my family of 5 dont do well in malls. we were there in the summer and while there were alot of food choices, we still went to Earl of Sandwich. When we go in Feb, i will definitely be more adventurous. That shake from DLuxe burger and cupcake from Sprinkle looks good. Everytime we go to WDW we try 1 or 2 new cupcakes. Definitely trying one from there this Feb

I've never done earl of sandwich. I do highly recommend some of the new offerings they are quite good.

sorry the line at RNRC took so long and you missed the Star Wars Fireworks show - hope you got to see it later in your trip

Glad you commented that despite the issue with the vans your feet wound up ok for the races

Looks like a fun breakfast at 1900 PF and characters like the Mad Hatter really make the experience

Bummer about all the long lines but like you said, with a large group it is hard to go against what the majority want

Totally agree with you about the Towne Center for Disney Springs - it looks really nice but feels like a high-end outlet mall. I am sure some people love that and love the opportunity to shop at those stores, but I can't imagine that is _that_ many people ... so will be interesting to see if that model sticks or if it evolves into something else. All the new restaurant options are great though!

Glad you got to see the drone show for yourself. I really like the idea of the Christmas Tree trail and think DS needs things like that for people to do and experience as a draw to it, but execution seemed off - just looked like a bunch of fake trees in a parking lot.

Maybe since I am from the NYC area and there are tons of cupcake options, but I am one of those that doesn't think Sprinkles is worth the hype ... that said, the idea of a cupcake sundae sounds amazing!

Well we had plans to see it again but will we?

Running was my biggest worry and my feet ended up fine thankfully.

I highly recommend the breakfast. I know there are some other good ones too but this one is good to do at least once.

I think that outlet mall feel is for the foreign demographic. Some stores like Uniqlo were quite busy but who the heck is buying expensive jewelry at Disney?

Yeah tree trail was a good concept but could have definitely been better executed.

We have one cupcake place in Wisconsin that I know about but it's just okay. I'd much rather have sprinkles.

Your pictures are making me totally regret not getting over to Disney Springs this year. Next year for sure! The trees are so neat and I love your idea of them setting it up more like you are walking through the woods.

Your pictures are making me totally regret not getting over to Disney Springs this year. Next year for sure! The trees are so neat and I love your idea of them setting it up more like you are walking through the woods.
It was just so easy for us to go over there since we were staying at Saratoga. Even if you just go for a couple hours to eat dinner I recommend it. I think it would be really cool to have a forest like feel.

I love Splash if its warm enough. You won't see me riding that when its less than 70 degrees.

Actually, they turned off some of the wettest features later in the week when it got cold. No water cannons at the bottom of the splash and no waterfall toward the end (where the logs get backed up). We wore ponchos and stayed pretty dry. And had no wait! I was very concerned, but it worked out great.

Actually, they turned off some of the wettest features later in the week when it got cold. No water cannons at the bottom of the splash and no waterfall toward the end (where the logs get backed up). We wore ponchos and stayed pretty dry. And had no wait! I was very concerned, but it worked out great.
That's good. I probably still wouldn't ride in the colder weather though.

Looks like a fun breakfast at 1900 Park Fare! Character breakfasts really are awesome, and 1900PF is a good way to start the day!

I've seen pictures of the Toy Story Vans - they're super cute. I'm sorry to hear that they gave you blisters, that sucks.

It's awesome that they let you on Peter Pan even though your FP window was over - I had heard that there's a grace period, but I'm never sure that's true or not. I'm glad it worked out for you!

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the drone show! I was really excited when I heard about that, and I would have loved to have seen it in person. I hope they continue to do it in the future.

Looks like a fun breakfast at 1900 Park Fare! Character breakfasts really are awesome, and 1900PF is a good way to start the day!

I've seen pictures of the Toy Story Vans - they're super cute. I'm sorry to hear that they gave you blisters, that sucks.

It's awesome that they let you on Peter Pan even though your FP window was over - I had heard that there's a grace period, but I'm never sure that's true or not. I'm glad it worked out for you!

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the drone show! I was really excited when I heard about that, and I would have loved to have seen it in person. I hope they continue to do it in the future.
Yes I really enjoy character breakfasts. Any Disney character breakfast buffet is pretty good.

Luckily they didn't hurt my feet too bad.

Usually there is a grace period but it's only like 10-15 minutes. We were like an hour late. I was so surprised they let us on must've been because it was so busy.

No doubt they will continue to use drones in the future. I'd imagine the next time we see them is in a park.

WOW! Those Christmas Trees are awesome, I would have loved walking through and seeing them, too bad they weren't up for Wine&Dine when I was there. I really enjoyed my buger at D-Luxe but definitely agree with the seating. I was on the patio, so it wasn't too bad, but I was lucky at an off-peak time to get even that seat.

WOW! Those Christmas Trees are awesome, I would have loved walking through and seeing them, too bad they weren't up for Wine&Dine when I was there. I really enjoyed my buger at D-Luxe but definitely agree with the seating. I was on the patio, so it wasn't too bad, but I was lucky at an off-peak time to get even that seat.
I love Christmas decorations so those were really cool.

Our group was too big to find a spot on the patio. They need more than one larger table for larger groups.

Hey Ryan, sorry for the delay in joining in. I can't see pictures from work anymore, and that's when I do most of my TR reading. Glad to finally be able to see the pictures.

We stayed at SSR for our first DVC stay. It's a nice resort , but to me it is sort of part-way between a deluxe and a moderate. I wouldn't mind staying there again. It would definitely be a good resort for a large group as the proximity to DS would be handy.

TWO waits of > 90 minutes! I think I would disown my family. But I do admit we normally don't have a large group - and I think that if we ever did, I would have to find a way to take a more "go with the flow attitude". But - 90 minutes! You could've done single rider and ridden 4 times.

Your second day seemed really fun - some park time, some down time, and some DS time! I am having a harder and harder time paying for the buffets with the current prices. The character interaction is fun - but when the $35 a person is coming out of your pocket, especially now that DD no longer wants to meet characters. We've only done 1900 PF at dinner...I would enjoy meeting Alice and the Hatter.

So - I'll keep following, but not sure how often I'll post!

Hey Ryan, sorry for the delay in joining in. I can't see pictures from work anymore, and that's when I do most of my TR reading. Glad to finally be able to see the pictures.

We stayed at SSR for our first DVC stay. It's a nice resort , but to me it is sort of part-way between a deluxe and a moderate. I wouldn't mind staying there again. It would definitely be a good resort for a large group as the proximity to DS would be handy.

TWO waits of > 90 minutes! I think I would disown my family. But I do admit we normally don't have a large group - and I think that if we ever did, I would have to find a way to take a more "go with the flow attitude". But - 90 minutes! You could've done single rider and ridden 4 times.

Your second day seemed really fun - some park time, some down time, and some DS time! I am having a harder and harder time paying for the buffets with the current prices. The character interaction is fun - but when the $35 a person is coming out of your pocket, especially now that DD no longer wants to meet characters. We've only done 1900 PF at dinner...I would enjoy meeting Alice and the Hatter.

So - I'll keep following, but not sure how often I'll post!
No problem Pete.

I didn't mind SSR. I enjoyed its proximity to Disney Springs the best but its very spread out like most of the moderates.

I really had to go with the flow which is hard for me as an uber planner who wants to keep doing and not wait in lines. Splash doesn't have single rider and I don't think RnRc single rider was open at that time. It was weird how they were doing single rider at RnRc on this trip.

Luckily I didn't have to pay for the meal but I agree. My next trip might be a solo trip which is where I will be more cost conscious. This was 1 of 2 character meals we did.

No I do not like drop rides!

I know I am going pretty fast with my updates but since I have the time right now and I have a lot to get through I figured I might as well get as much as I can done before I get busy with school work. We started school today but I only have one class on Tuesday's. Well we had another big and long-ish day ahead of us. This was Wednesday, January 4th, Expo day. In the past the expo would open at 10AM-ish. This year however they moved the opening time back to noon. This was because people who bought race retreat were also given early access to avoid the rush to the expo. Due to the later expo opening I decided the expo would be a later afternoon adventure for us however that also worried me for merchandise and stuff like that.

Anyways, we started the day at the park in flux. Disney's Hollywood Studios. Our first order of business which not everyone ended up going on was Star Tours. My mom doesn't like motion simulator rides and a couple others wanted to do something else so five of us went to Star Tours.

We were met by some Storm troopers along the way. It is really cool to see them out walking around.

We had a FP but the ride was a walk on so it really didn't matter.

We had time in between our next FP so we headed to Launch Bay. My order of business here was to meet Chewie.

Chewie is the best!

Jawas were out wandering around and trading. We had nothing to trade though.

We got out just in time for the march of the first order. I feel its way more popular than it should be but it is cool nonetheless.

We then met the rest of our group at Starbucks. It was time for our second FP of the day Toy Story Mania!

We got chosen for the third track! It was cool to see but its nothing special. I got a score of like 153,000 which I was so excited because I beat everyone in our group that I could see but then the car I could not see came back and Sam who is three years older than I am got 175,000. So i had to settle for second place :(.

And a look at where Star Wars Experience will end up... (yes I know toy story land is on the walls)

Our final FP was for Tower of Terror. Now I am not a fan of drop rides and I have only done this ride one other time. The thought of being dropped just freaks me out, however once I get on this I am fine. I was however freaking out before the ride.

I survived! And for some reason photo bucket does not like the ToT ride video. Due to a room issue part of our group got 3 extra FPs. A few of us wanted to ride Rockin Rollercoaster after Tower of Terror. I did not have a FP for it but not everyone in that room wanted to go on so I used one of the their magicbands. Thankfully no 90 minute wait this time!

And this is where our time at Hollywood Studios ended. Now we purchased the new Express Transportation option for 7 days the day before. I had not used it yet but some others in out group used it already. The pick up location for the transportation is located right next to Rockin Rollercoaster near the entrance to the Sunset Showcase building where Club Disney and Club Villain are. The buses pick you up backstage and take you directly to your next park. We were headed to Epcot. Luckily the bus arrived just as we got off Rockin Rollercoaster.

I will say that this transportation service was great. I recommend it to those who are park hopping and the price is $24 for 7 consecutive days which in my opinion is not bad at all. Another great selling point to this is you don't have to go through security since you theoretically never leaving a park!

Up Next: My first signature restaurant!

I rode splash a few years ago in December. It was somewhere in the 30s and we were concerned about getting wet but needed to ride. As you say most of the water features were off and we didn't get wet at all.

Hi There :) Joining in. Question about the express bus service, is it 24 dollars a person for 7 days? That sounds reasonable. I have the same problem with TOT! I usually feel super anxious before the ride, the anticipation is just TOO much. But when the drop finally happens, I'm good :confused3. Disney Springs looks so different from the last time I was there in 2015. I love the Alice in Wonderland tree. Looking forward to next update. -Amanda

I like the TOT queue photos. I am chicken of drop rides too, so I have never ridden it. In fact, until last month, I hadn't even entered the gift shop at the end. I have waited outside multiple times for DH and DS, but I guess I was afraid of being sucked in or something:confused3 I need to do Splash first, but I think TOT or Guardians at DLR will have to be my next battle.

I like the TOT queue photos. I am chicken of drop rides too, so I have never ridden it. In fact, until last month, I hadn't even entered the gift shop at the end. I have waited outside multiple times for DH and DS, but I guess I was afraid of being sucked in or something:confused3 I need to do Splash first, but I think TOT or Guardians at DLR will have to be my next battle.
I find it much safer than drops rides like six flags or something. ToT is the only drop ride I'll do. I still can't believe you have done splash! The drop is nowhere near as bad as it looks and the dark ride portions are so good.

Chewie is awesome - he was one of my favorite meet & greets on my last trip (and that was before I watched the Star Wars movies!)

Second place on Toy Story Mania is definitely something to be proud of - especially when you're part of a big group. That's an awesome score!

I'm terrified of the drop on Tower of Terror. I refuse to do it. If someone tried to get me on it ... I'd probably be freaking out the whole time. So I totally get why you were freaking out a bit - but I'm glad you survived!

Chewie is awesome - he was one of my favorite meet & greets on my last trip (and that was before I watched the Star Wars movies!)

Second place on Toy Story Mania is definitely something to be proud of - especially when you're part of a big group. That's an awesome score!

I'm terrified of the drop on Tower of Terror. I refuse to do it. If someone tried to get me on it ... I'd probably be freaking out the whole time. So I totally get why you were freaking out a bit - but I'm glad you survived!
We didn't ever make it to see Kylo Ren though. I can survive with Chewie.

I wanted to win! Lol

It's really not as bad as I make it out to be but it is what it is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter