• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Grocery delivery

Which service do you recommend?
Back in the day it was just Garden Grocer which I remember being comparably expensive. I can't remember which one we used last time. Recommendations please!
My grandson and 8 friends were just there at OKW and ordered from Walmart, I think it was $ 9 something for delivery, they tipped too. He ordered online. Only issue they had is you have to be at your room as they use plastic bags and Disney won't store them. Wasn't a problem for them as they were notified when arriving and I think he said you could track the driver. They loved it. He wants to try at college now!

We tend to buy dry goods and bring them along in an extra suitcase, then supplement with produce and dairy using Prime Now. Prime Now is easy to use and the deliveries come within a two-hour window. I have them set to arrive from 8pm-10pm on our arrival night, after the kiddos are in bed and I want to stroll the grounds of the resort anyway.

The dry goods were a no-brainer in the DME era. We'll see if Disney replaces DME with something that makes is similarly attractive to bring our own dry goods. I always love getting to do that shopping in the weeks leading up to the trip as it's as if the trip starts a little early. Buying those goods at Costco and/or Meijer at home keeps our trip food spending down, too.

Hey folks,
I never reall ordered perishable groceries (just chips, bottled water type stuff online). I don't really mind paying a little extra for fresh grocery (fruits & veggies) convenience unless it's like a 50% mark up on groceries. I would love to find groceries waiting for us the day we arrive at our DVC resort. With that in mind, what is the best?

We have always used GG in the past but this trip (February) we're using Dizzy Dolphin and I was super excited to order wine, and some simple grocery items, in addition to a chicken finger platter (for an unconventional breakfast!!) and they were SUPER easy to work with and I'm totally confident in them for our order!

I have personal experience using Target app/Shipt. Ordered perishables like milk, ice cream, produce and bacon. The shopper stayed in communication with me, everything was delivered in a paper sack with my name on it and left with Bell services. We ran late returning to the resort for the schedule delivery time, but our shopper arranged delivery with BS for us. We had a 6mo. trial of Shipt through Target and use the Target app for ordering, there was no delivery fee or mark-up on the groceries . FYI- This was about an $80 order, no alcohol.
Most Disboard posters have had success with all the grocery delivery options that are out there. Just depends which one works best for you and what you want to order.

We started with Garden Grocer, moved to Instacart, Amazon and now we're back to Garden Grocer. I don't know why but GG is the only service that seems to deliver cold beer. It's been about 6 years so we're curious to see if this is still true. Instacart got close because they buy it cold - it's just a matter of how 'insta' it is from the purchase to the room fridge.

I've used Amazon Prime Now the last several trips. It is a little odd ordering some items from Amazon and some from Whole Foods, but I've been pleased with the deliveries. Also wanted to mention that Walmart has a fee that is about $100 per year, and that gets you free grocery deliveries as well. I haven't used it, because I do grocery pickup, but it may be am alternative to Prime Now. And though I do use Walmart grocery pick up at home, I would be a bit hesitant to do so on vacation, since the app doesn;t update in real time, and most of the time there are substitutions I wouldn't want to deal with on vacation with a large group.
Walmart also has lots of $10 off or free delivery codes floating around (new & previous customers).
Experiences differ, but we haven't had problems with Walmart substituting items as there are very few, & they tend to sub with something better, & not charge more.
The first time our son used Prime Now, the driver "disappeared" with all the groceries. To make it worse, it took a while to convince Amazon to refund the money, but they still adamantly refused to reverse the tip. He spent hours of vacation time fighting with them (NOT fun!). Thankfully, he was able to order with Instacart afterwards, & had the complete order delivered a little while later.
So far, Walmart has been the winner for us (price, service, selection), with Instacart #2 :)

Do we have to be present for Amazon/Whole Foods? We are only buying water, soda, breakfast bars and bananas so nothing that requires to be in a cooler.

My Grandson and 8 21yr old boys used Walmart and were thrilled with it! Cheap and could track order I think he said. Like watch car drive!

Do we have to be present for Amazon/Whole Foods? We are only buying water, soda, breakfast bars and bananas so nothing that requires to be in a cooler.
We did not when we ordered from Amazon and Whole Foods. We were sitting at the pool at Old Key West when we got the alert it was delivered and didn't feel like moving just yet so Bell Services held onto it (we did have items that needed cooling so I think they were in a refrigerator). We went a couple of hours later to pick it all up. This was pre-pandemic though just FYI.

Yes Grandsons were at OKW but same at any resort at Disney they deliver to your room and you must be there Disney won’t let you get plastic bags. There is a plastic bag Nazi at Disney. But this way you can receive and put your stuff away quickly! Like I said you can track order!

have been using Garden grocer for years and years. We order ahead and get the discount and all items have always been delivered no issues at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter