Great Movie Ride closes for Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really enjoy TGMR...It's one I have fond memories of riding with my dad one year and being scared witless by that dang alien...Didn't help that dad grabbed me right as it dropped down...I was like 12, I think.

It was also one of my grandma's favorite rides. She really enjoyed seeing all the classic movies. Since then, she's passed away, but I have that memory.

Mom and I just rode it in February. I still enjoyed it, but I understand the need to replace it. I would love to see a Mickey themed ride. I suprisingly very much enjoyed the Pixar short that had all the old Mickey Mouse cartoon characters. If they did a ride along something like that short, I think it would be fabulous. And, well, it's time for the Big Cheese to have his own ride.

I'm surprised there has not been a Mickey Mouse ride before now. MM was made for an animatronic ride!
I for one am looking forward to this!

It is sad to see it go, my girlfriend loves that ride. I'm an Alien fan so it's awesome to see that part in the ride. But things do have to be changed at some point, it'll be interesting to see what the new ride would entail. Perhaps we'll get info at D23

I hate to see this attraction go, it's one of my wife's favorites. We have a ton of memories riding with our family.

I was hoping for an upgrade of movies/animatronics. With the current direction of the park, I felt like this was in the works. I'm not really sure what imagineering has in store for this classic, but with it the location as the focal point of the park and the amount of people the ride can sustain, it better be something special. I can't see them going with Guardians based on those reasons. I'm shooting for a Mickey based attraction featuring villains!

Love the GMR but I do understand that it's time to move on..... It's old but I love it.......I'm old......lol

Here's the problem with tacking on an age thing with this broad "younger folk" thought-process....I'm 28 will be 29 next month. My husband is 27 will be 28 in July. We enjoy GMR-it's not our favorite but it's not unliked either. I assure you as be under 30 (even right at the cutoff) those classics are what I grew up with. My iffiness with GMR is usually the inconsistencies I felt when it came to the CMs doing our tour not with the lack of interest in the theming.

My opinion though is the ride doesn't need everyone to have seen every movie it is paying homage to in order to enjoy it. If anything I think perhaps the execution of being in a slow moving vehicle is what can contribute to boredom;maybe it's just the lack of things that make you jump, things that have a little bit more thrill to it that lead to boredom (I like a mix of slow rides with some thrill rides personally for theme parks).

*End tangent lol*

ETA: I do agree though (and I might have in the past IDK lol) with Madonna3 in that a mix of newer and older scenes would be much more ideal than removing the ride entirely for a new ride.

I'm early 30's and GMR is one of my favorites. Then again, I'm called an "old soul" by my Father in Law. I 100% agree with the CM having the ability to make or break the experience. Less so after the TCM changes but a CM who appears uninterested in the script of the delivery kills it. Both my Wife and 5 year old son absolutely love the ride as well. He doesn't know half the movies shown but it's still an experience for him.

The concept is great, but like others seem to say- maybe an update to newer movies and newer technology(and maybe removing the plane with the broken propeller) would help.

Do the current rumored plans still indicate keeping the Chinese Theatre facade and only redoing the insides?

Do the current rumored plans still indicate keeping the Chinese Theatre facade and only redoing the insides?

Per all i have seen the facade will stay and this will be an internal build

Let me preface this by saying I am not advocating that the facade be torn down...but I'm struggling to see where it's place is in the park. I feel like there is no cohesion to the park - currently and even after TSL and SWE open. Although as I type/think about it, I guess DCA is kind of the same...you have Hollywood Land, Cars Land, Paradise Pier, etc.

Let me preface this by saying I am not advocating that the facade be torn down...but I'm struggling to see where it's place is in the park. I feel like there is no cohesion to the park - currently and even after TSL and SWE open. Although as I type/think about it, I guess DCA is kind of the same...you have Hollywood Land, Cars Land, Paradise Pier, etc.

That's the part that I struggle to understand. When I was a kid, the park had just opened and was a working studio. Everything made perfect sense. The only cohesive theme I can picture is what IOA and MK have: many lands of vastly different themes. There's just nothing connecting these lands at DHS. It's a mess, lol.

For the most part it all still ties together through the simple theme of Movies and T.V. The only attraction that seems out of place by that thought is RnR which, despite being one of my favorite WDW rides, has always been an odd theme choice in my opinion. But everything else ties together loosely. The misnomer is the actual park name, not the content of the park. "Studios" needs to go. If it was called Disney's Hollywood Experience (and dear lord I hope the Imagineers can do better than that!) it would all pretty much make sense.

The theater is your focal point. So many of Hollywood biggest movies have debuted there. This park is still about movies but rather putting you inside the movie instead of seeing how movies are made.

The theater is your focal point. So many of Hollywood biggest movies have debuted there. This park is still about movies but rather putting you inside the movie instead of seeing how movies are made.

Hmmmm...I guess I get that.

For the most part it all still ties together through the simple theme of Movies and T.V. The only attraction that seems out of place by that thought is RnR which, despite being one of my favorite WDW rides, has always been an odd theme choice in my opinion. But everything else ties together loosely. The misnomer is the actual park name, not the content of the park. "Studios" needs to go. If it was called Disney's Hollywood Experience (and dear lord I hope the Imagineers can do better than that!) it would all pretty much make sense.

You go backstage in the music business on RnR.

Sad to see TGMR leave. Will definitely ride it once or twice when we're there in a couple weeks. That being said, the ride went downhill when Turner Classic Movies took over and stripped about half the lines away from the CM hosts and gave them to the dang recorded narrator. I personally think Disney has enough to do a TGMR on just Disney films, but I understand that it's not exactly in tune with the original ideals of Hollywood Studios. Oh well, progress progresses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter