Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln - updated with L.A. trip highlights

TigerBear

Found him!
I just returned from my first trip to DL. This little attraction actually surprised me by how good it was. The first part of it is like a 3-D audio presentation...very unique and quite amazing. If you haven't seen it since the rehab, it definitely is worth a stop on your next visit.

yes, I agree... this is also a nice improvement from the last iteration of the performance...

this "3-D" sound is also used at "Drew Carey's Sound Stage" show at MGM-Studios in FLA.

Hi TigerBear! I didn't know your trip was so soon! Where did you stay? I would love to hear more about your trip!! Any advice you can give would be great! Seeing Great Moments with Mr Lincoln was on our 'to do' list so I'm glad to hear that you liked it!

TXTink, we did have fun, especially at DCA! Unfortunately, Disneyland Park had many rides closed for rehab (Space, Splash, Pirates/Blue Bayou). The first day we went Indy was even down. I was so happy that it was open on our last day - what a fantastically themed ride. We stayed at the Candy Cane Inn. It's a quaint little place to stay, probably much better than many of the other nearby properties. My only piece of advice for DLR is to take the time to enjoy DCA . :)

In L.A. we stayed at the Hilton - Universal City. We did quite a few things in the L.A. area - attended a taping of the Tonight Show, drove up the coast to Malibu, went to Descanso Gardens (Disney flowers are just as beautiful, if not more beautiful), took a tour of Beverly Hills, went to Universal Studios (Wizardz at Citywalk was fantastic - magic dinner show) & the L.A. Zoo, and took a day trip to Catalina Island. The only disappointment was Knott's Berry Farm. I didn't even like the chicken, probably because my mom is a wonderful southern cook.

Let me know if you have any questions, I'll be happy to try to answer them. I almost forgot, the best meal we had at Disney was at Ralph Brennan's Creole Cafe (counter). The Gumbo Ya-Ya (?) and beinets were fabulous! And Storyteller's for breakfast was great too.

Now I am ready to return to DW (all it needs from DL is a Soarin' type ride!). Let me know if you have any questions.

TigerBear, sorry to hear about all the rehabs at DL, I need to look up and see what all rides will be down when we are there in early June. I sure do hope that Blue Bayou is open! I wanted us to eat there! But I was very glad to hear how much you liked DCA! I have heard mixed reviews about it so I had planned only a limited time there, I guess I need to rethink my touring schedule!

I had the hardest time figuring out where to stay! I had at first thought that I only wanted to stay at a Disney hotel, but in the end I bit the bullet and made ressies at the Candy Cane Inn. I am SO excited that you liked it there!! You have put my mind at ease! We have always stayed on site at WDW, but as I understand, that isn't as necessary at DL. How far was the walk from the entrance to the parks from your hotel? What were the rooms like? We were thinking of staying at the Hilton - Universal City too, but decided that we didn't want to have to move, so we are staying 5 nights at Candy Cane Inn and driving out to tour LA and Hollywood from there. Did we make a bad decision? Our plans are to tour the LA area for 2 1/2 days and tour DL for 2 1/2 days, so we were trying to avoid the wasted time of moving hotels. Are we being unrealistic?

We too want to go to a taping of the Tonight show. How did you get your tickets? I also want to take the NBC tour. I would love to hear more about Beverly Hills and Universal Studios. I need to start nailing down some plans other than Disney!

Where is Ralph Brennan's Creole Cafe? I want to be sure and check that out!

Did you get your tickets before you left? I was thinking of ordering them from The Disney Store, is there any reason not to?

Sorry for all the questions, but I would love to hear more about your trip!

TXTink, I wouldn't worry about rehabs in June. They should be all finished by then - :rolleyes: :)

We did like the Candy Cane, but if the price would be the same, I definitely would prefer staying on property. The walk was probably around 10 minutes. I only did it twice, both times by myself. The first morning there I woke up really early and explored Downtown Disney. One night I stayed at DD to shop and walked back to the room. I would NOT recommend this as I definitely did not feel comfortable. DL had closed an hour earlier and that side of the park was dead. This wouldn't have been an issue if I wouldn't have been alone. We typically rode the shuttle, which was very convient (my dad has difficulty walking).

I honestly don't think that I would have wanted to commute to L.A. for two and a half days. You will definitely waste some time in the commute. We enjoyed the Hilton at Universal City. It is located between Beverly Hills/Hollywood and Burbank and the Studios area. I enjoyed US. My mom and aunt LOVED it, especially the Backlot Tour. If you haven't been to US in Orlando, ET and Jurassic park are great rides.

Going to the Tonight Show was definitely one of our trip highlights. We actually wrote three different letters prior to going with one ticket request fulfilled. They will only send four tickets by mail, so the morning of the show we got up early and stood in line by 7:00 to get our fifth ticket. That afternoon we got in line at 2:30 since having a ticket does not guarantee admission. Here is the link with the address to request tickets:

http://www.nbc.com/nbc/footer/Tickets.shtml

The NBC tour was discontinued as of 7-11. It is supposed to start running again sometime soon. My mom and I are DAYS fans, so we were hoping to take the tour. We did get to see the set for Salem Place (outdoor mall), as it is located right beside the ticket office.

Ralph Brennan's is in Downtown Disney. There are actually 3 resturants: an upscale, moderate, and counter service. We ate at the counter service one (Creole Cafe). It has outside tables which was great.

We took a tour of Beverly Hills through Starline Tours. My mom enjoyed it...I could have lived without it. I'm not a big movie star fan though. Driving through the area was quite nice. I would recommend driving down Sunset Blvd (Hollywood to the coast) - it is a fantastic drive!

I hope I answered all of your questions. Just let me know if you have more :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter