Grand Flo help needed...

leonidoff

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone!

I've been voraciously reading the GF thread(s) for the past couple of days and it's clear to me that DIS has the expert on this resort! :worship: Thanks so much for sharing your wisdom on the forums!

I could really use your advise on an upcoming booking. If you've got some time, I'd love input and opinions!

My family and I looking to book 5 nights at the GF in January. It looks like the 35% room only offer is going to apply (which is awesome!) I'm looking to book two adjoining rooms, and we'd like at least one of those rooms to have a balcony (It looks like tower rooms don't have balcony's, correct?) What I'd love more then anything is to hear your guys recommendation on a view/building request. Obviously this is open to debate, and some people swear by certain buildings and views. Having never stayed at the GF before, I have no idea what to ask for. Is the lagoon/TPV worth the money?

My wife and I will be traveling with our two year old son and my father, who's health is in decline, so we'd like to spoil him on this trip. We've been saving for this vacation and I'm willing to dig deep and spend the extra for the right view or for Club Level if it's worth it. But I'm not convinced it is. What do you guys think?

Thanks again for everyone's posts! I've learned sooooooooooooo much from reading your insight. And thanks for your help, here too! :thanks:

Derek

We stayed @ the GF for the first time this past summer. Loved loved loved it!!! We stayed in the Sugarloaf Bldg (CL). We had a balcony...It was amazing!!!! The food that they put out was terrific and we found we did not have to spend a ton of money on food at the parks.

It was super pricy, but we were invited by DH's family....so we did not have to pay for it. I definitely could not have afforded it on my own.

That being said, if you have the money...it is definitely a nice luxury...the staff will take amazing care of you and you will really feel pampered on vacation!

The gf "regular" rooms all have balcony's. Only a few special rooms do not. The top floor has dormer balcony's which are solid wall and you cannot see out from the room unless your standing > but they are very private. The dormer rooms, also have high ceilings but are smaller in size and do not have a "couch" in them. We have had both. They are both very nice.

Recommendations: The lagoon view is definately NOT worth it. If your going that high > get the theme park view. You will have a lagoon view > but you get the fireworks and electric water show too. The general lagoon view could be facing poly or new construction.

Based on your funds > I would consider the concerige or club area. It would be very convient and nice for your family member, but very pricey.
Keep in mind GF has great room service, if you choose it. They told us on the phone once, "this is the grand floridan anything you want we can do", sis was sick > so they gave soup etc.. for her.
Remember they have 2 different concerige offerings.
1. is sugar loaf which is an outer building, same as all other outer buildings, just has the food etc..
2. is the really nice concerige area in the main building. Everything at your fingertips. Including being able to listen to the big band, each evening from the lounge. While having drinks, or snacks. keep in mind this is very very expensive.
As far as rooms in regular buildings. A special treat is to request the "corner" rooms. Then you can score 2 balcony's with 2 different views. We got this once and it was lovely.

Anything you pick will be lovely. Have a great time. pixiedust:

We have stayed 4 times in the last 5 years and we have always had a balcony. We've also always stayed in the main building concierge and only one of those times didn't have a view of the castle, and it was still gorgeous.

We have 3 children who currently are 10, 7 and 2. But over the years Concierge and the children have been a lifesaver. There is always milk available, juice and water along lots of other goodies. But there were children snack staples including cookies, crackers, fruit throughout any time of day.

We leave tomorrow and with a 2 year old, I would advise concierge, main building 4th floor (which is the level with the food offerings) so you don't have to go up or down stairs/elevator.

Your father will also really appreciate the lobby area as there is the live band/piano and lots of people watching to do from the lounge area.

Concierge also offers free DVD rentals of virtually all Disney movies so my children love to unwind at night with Swiss Family Robinson or Pete's Dragon, or movies they otherwise don't watch a ton. This is also helpful because the resorts do not carry the Disney channel. Go figure. They want you out in Disney spending money, not watching it I guess. But we get our fix through the DVDs.

My husband is not a HUGE lover of Disney, but he loves the Grand Floridian and likes the food offerings as well as the evening adult beverages. He's a big fan of being on the monorail line with our 2 year old. As many times over the years he's graciously offered to take our toddler (whoever they have been at the time over the years) back to the GF for a nap (somehow he always naps too) or swim and it's been fantastic because we generally spend more time at Magic Kingdom and that is a quick monorail or boat ride back. Again, fabulous with a toddler.

They have a new splash area that we have not visited, but will this week, and it looks amazing. I would be comfortable with all 3 of my children playing and the pool that has the waterslide also has a zero entry which is phenomenal for a toddler as well. The new Courtyard pool will also have zero entry once it's completed.

I might add that my Dad is early 70s but also disabled and he is really looking forward to the zero entry pool for himself because he loves to swim but doesn't have great strength to pull himself up over a ladder or even tall steps at most pools can be a problem for him.

So I would suggest

1) Monorail line resort
2) Zero Entry Pool
3) Concierge

GRAND FLORIDAN Main Building Concierge (RPC for Royal Palm Club)

Good luck planning and have a great trip

Hi everyone!

I've been voraciously reading the GF thread(s) for the past couple of days and it's clear to me that DIS has the expert on this resort! :worship: Thanks so much for sharing your wisdom on the forums!

I could really use your advise on an upcoming booking. If you've got some time, I'd love input and opinions!

My family and I looking to book 5 nights at the GF in January. It looks like the 35% room only offer is going to apply (which is awesome!) I'm looking to book two adjoining rooms, and we'd like at least one of those rooms to have a balcony (It looks like tower rooms don't have balcony's, correct?) What I'd love more then anything is to hear your guys recommendation on a view/building request. Obviously this is open to debate, and some people swear by certain buildings and views. Having never stayed at the GF before, I have no idea what to ask for. Is the lagoon/TPV worth the money?

My wife and I will be traveling with our two year old son and my father, who's health is in decline, so we'd like to spoil him on this trip. We've been saving for this vacation and I'm willing to dig deep and spend the extra for the right view or for Club Level if it's worth it. But I'm not convinced it is. What do you guys think?

Thanks again for everyone's posts! I've learned sooooooooooooo much from reading your insight. And thanks for your help, here too! :thanks:

Derek

What a great trip you are planning! :) I love the GF, it is near and dear to my heart. ::yes:: We have stayed in a lodge tower room and yes our room did have a balcony. There was a door off to the side of the sitting room:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Now I know some lodge tower rooms do not have balconies at all, so that's a risk. But the extra sitting room is nice, our son was about 3 years old at the time and ended up sleeping on the loveseat with a rail. He loved it. :)

I also HIGHLY recommend club level, the Royal Palm Club (inside the main building) or the Sugarloaf building (separate building from the main building) are both incredible. The service, itinerary planning, personal attention, complimentary snacks and drinks, etc, really take your vacation to a whole new level. We've become so spoiled by the castmembers over the years we feel like royalty. princess: I have a trip report from our GF stay this past January if you'd like to check it out: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2851806

If you have any questions feel free to PM me and I'm happy to help! :)

Thank you all so much for your help! This was just the kind of info I was looking for.

:cool1:

Gotta love the DIS boards!

Derek

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter