Grand Canyon, Bryce and Zion

misse336

Mouseketeer
We are planning a trip to the Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon and Zion Canyon this summer. We have all of our lodging reservations.

When we were in Yosemite and Sequoia last summer we needed reservations to get into the park. I can't find any place to reserve these National Parks. Does anyone know where they can be found?

Also, any hikes or experience your family enjoyed in them are appreciated.

Speaking for Bryce Canyon, my group of adults did the trail where we walked up Wall Street instead of down it, and I personally think that was the better option. You’ll run into people going both ways.

I strongly encourage you to check out state parks in Utah. They are less crowded and just as beautiful. Specifically, we drove out to Kodachrome for a sunset hike (in October) and it was lovely. Sadly I didn’t explore much as I had just a few half days during a conference. You won’t need a reservation for the state parks but I’m not sure about Bryce; we stayed at Ruby’s Inn with the conference and we were bussed into Bryce for those activities.

We were at Grand Canyon, staying at El Tovar in September, 2019. Late one afternoon we walked a couple of miles along the South Rim Trail westward to see the sunset. Hopi Point and Powell Point, IIRC It was very striking to see the colors of the canyon walls change as the light faded. As a bonus, the moon was near full, so that moonrise was impressive. Very memorable trip.

Last year, we went to Bryce and Zion. Try lunch or dinner at the Red Rock Grill in Zion Lodge. Sit out on the veranda, and you'll see mule deer and turkeys grazing while kids are playing on the big lawn. As far as what pictures or hikes to take, any will do. As my wife said, "you don't know which way to point your camera." Lots of folks bring or rent bicycles. We did the Riverside Walk trail and the Emerald Pools Trail.

At Bryce, The Rim Trail provides views of the canyons and hoodoos. If you're feeling froggy, you can hike down to the canyon floor.

Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon and Zion don't require reservations to enter like Yosemite did last year and will again this year. You can check each park's page at nps.gov to see which activities require reservations, but there is not a reservation system for general park entry.

Pretty sure the Zion shuttle doesn't require a reservation this year.

Reservations for parks that require them (like Yosemite) can be found at recreation.gov.

Did you check their NPS websites? I found the reservation portal to reserve the zion bus shuttle on there...something you will need.

I did check their park sites and didn't see anything about a reservation to enter the park. I had heard that they required them, and Yosemite and Sequoia required them last summer when we were there, so I wanted to double check. I don't want to mess up and not have them if needed. I didn't see anything about shuttle bus reservations and will check that out. Thanks for letting me know that was a needed thing. If we have a car, will we still need to take the shuttle buses (and need a reservation)?

We haven't been to the Grand Canyon, Bryce and Zion in 20 years and never with our kids so everything seems to be a lot different now. We made our room/flight reservations months ago and are now planning the smaller details of our trip.

I'm hoping for helpful updated information about hikes, activities, reservations, etc. We have teenaged kids and will do easy/moderate hikes/activities. I enjoy photography so I will have my camera with me as I remember so much beautiful scenery when we were there in the past.

I just searched the Zion NPS website and found tons of info. Looks like you cannot drive your personal car after three miles into the park. One hike route is closed. You will need to book shuttle tickets to see the park and its overlooks.

https://www.nps.gov/zion/planyourvisit/publications.htm

We did not need reservations to enter Bryce in December. Arches NP requires reservations from April to October, so some parks do have this requirement in peak season.

Hike The Narrows in Zion. Even my hiking hating teens had genuine smiles.

I have been researching this. Did you hike the entire Narrows or just part of it? Did you have water shoes or did you rent them? This sounds awesome, but not sure on the logistics to make it work and how strenuous it is.

I have been researching this. Did you hike the entire Narrows or just part of it? Did you have water shoes or did you rent them? This sounds awesome, but not sure on the logistics to make it work and how strenuous it is.
I did the narrows hike years ago. It was cool being down in this narrow slot canyon. Saw a baby fawn in a rocky cave! You have to cross the river many many times and will need a hiking pole. We kept going until the river was up to our necks and our backpacks were on our heads! We then turned around, feet forward, and floated all the way downstream. This was late June or so.

We went in March 2021 and we rented the whole outfit for wading in the water with the water boots. In the summer likely just the boots would be needed because it’s warmer. We just hiked in until we were done (2 hours, I think), then turned around and came back. When done as an Out and Back, it is Choose Your Own Adventure. We did not think it was strenuous, but we are a relatively physically fit family and that might not be true for everyone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter