Grand Californian Super Thread

They were already letting people in even though it wasn't 8:00 yet.
Last October we tried the GCH entrance because we were there an hour early (long story) so we were second in line. Our experience was that they started letting people in about 15-20 minutes before EMH officially started, and held everyone at the walkway that leads up to GRR. It worked out well because just about everyone made it through security before EMH started so when the time came, we were all ready to go. But that's generally not what I see others report, so I thought my experience was a fluke. It sounds like you had a similar experience. Hopefully it will become the new norm.

If using the GCH entrance do they require all room keys to be shown? Even for kids like a 3 year old? I wasn't planning on carrying the room keys for the kids with us since our park tickets are separate. Trying to cut down on all of the stuff I already have to carry lol

If using the GCH entrance do they require all room keys to be shown? Even for kids like a 3 year old? I wasn't planning on carrying the room keys for the kids with us since our park tickets are separate. Trying to cut down on all of the stuff I already have to carry lol

We showed one room key for our group of 4, but I'm not sure if the policy changes depending on who is working that day.

We showed one room key for our group of 4, but I'm not sure if the policy changes depending on who is working that day.

Thank you! Seems easy enough. Do they just scan it to confirm or flashing the cards? I haven't been to DL with the family before, only WDW, so trying to be prepared for what to expect. I hate being the one holding up the line figuring it out

Thank you! Seems easy enough. Do they just scan it to confirm or flashing the cards? I haven't been to DL with the family before, only WDW, so trying to be prepared for what to expect. I hate being the one holding up the line figuring it out

No scanning, just a quick look. The cards for GCH are brown, and the other onsite hotels are blue. This makes it easy for them to confirm which hotel you are staying at.

Does anyone have a recent photo (or seen one anywhere) of the pool work at GCH? The last one I saw was on this thread, mid-January I think. Just trying to gauge progress.

Also, does anyone know the status of the stairway exit in the East wing? I assume the door to La Brea is just alarmed now?

Thanks!

We are in the same boat.
I booked the GCH with a request for bunk room.
My 13 and 15 year olds are not real keen on sleeping in the same bed.
When they say day bed, is it big enough for an average size, 13 or 15 yo to sleep on.

If they are the same as PPH and DLH then they should be ok. Around the same size as a twin, from memory I was able to stretch out on it and I'm 5'6"

I'm back with more questions! We are booked in a couple of Standard rooms with one being with 4 adults and 1 6 year old. The description said it would be a collection of different bed options with 2 queens and a day bed as one of the options. Is this just new with the renovations or is this a possibility at this time? Just curious trying to figure out how the set up will be with the 6 year old. We don't mind being tight as we won't be in the room much all together but from what I'm reading on here it seems like this wasn't a set up before?

ETA: Just found the information about the limited number of daybeds previously with two queens. Is it likely that we would be put in one with our arrangement of guests or possibly squish us into two queens if we arrive later in the evening? Probably worrying over nothing but want to be prepared if that's the case!

Last edited:
I'm back with more questions! We are booked in a couple of Standard rooms with one being with 4 adults and 1 6 year old. The description said it would be a collection of different bed options with 2 queens and a day bed as one of the options. Is this just new with the renovations or is this a possibility at this time? Just curious trying to figure out how the set up will be with the 6 year old. We don't mind being tight as we won't be in the room much all together but from what I'm reading on here it seems like this wasn't a set up before?

ETA: Just found the information about the limited number of daybeds previously with two queens. Is it likely that we would be put in one with our arrangement of guests or possibly squish us into two queens if we arrive later in the evening? Probably worrying over nothing but want to be prepared if that's the case!
Unfortunately we have no way to know at this point how many rooms have been modified to the new setup or how many daybed rooms will be booked when you arrive. We always go mentally ready for our 5th person to be put in a sleeping bag on the ground because that has happened. Also IF there is room they will put the 5th person on a rollaway. All you can do is request a daybed and go prepared for the worst (person #5 in a sleeping bag).

Bumping up to see if anyone that has been there recently has any updates? We were there last month and heard construction (more from the work in DCA in the redwood play area), but it didn't bother us. We took the golf cart over to DL pool, but it was pretty crowded. I'm really hoping the pool is re-opened by our next trip at end of April. Updated rooms would be nice too! Any word as to whether they are changing the pool design?

We are in the same boat.
I booked the GCH with a request for bunk room.
My 13 and 15 year olds are not real keen on sleeping in the same bed.
When they say day bed, is it big enough for an average size, 13 or 15 yo to sleep on.

My 22 year old son, who is about 6' tall, slept on the day bed/rollaway in our room at GCH no problem. By the way, we had a 2 queen room with a courtyard view, near Napa Rose. I'd heard those rooms don't have daybeds but it was in there when we got to the room.

There is no complete map of suite locations (and so no exact way to estimate how many are Park View), but your chances for a Park View are about 1 in 4. The map (below) shows some suite locations, but as a composite of all floors some details are omitted (many areas do not have a 6th floor, or guest rooms on the 2nd floor). 2-bedroom suites are generally 1-bedroom suites connected to a regular room.

Some room comments (order is my preference):
  • 6412 (1 bedroom suite, based on prior posts): 6th floor is very nice if you have upgraded to Concierge (a good value for suites). Partial fireworks view.
  • 5329/4329/3329/5331/4331/3331: Park View with convenient access to elevators.
  • 5452/4452/3452: Park View and fireworks view. Long walk.
  • 3359/2359: Parial Park View, low floors and obstructed by trees.
  • 5014/4014/3014/2014/5312/4312/3312/5318/4318/3318/3360/2360: Pool View. Partial (distant) view of the park from floors 5 and 4.
  • 5169/4169/3169/5451/4451/3451: DTD View. Good view of fireworks. Long Walk. Noisy.
  • 5168/4168/3168: Courtyard view. Long Walk. Avoid.
It is a good idea make your request in advance: Park View on a high floor
When checking in, your room number is printed on the form you sign (although the CM will not point it out to you). If you are not happy with the room, try to have is changed immediately.

Good luck with your view. Report back with your room number and pictures of your view.

View attachment 205212
This is sooooo helpful. Thank you!

Excitedly planning our first to VGC and this thread has been amazingly helpful. I remember reading but now I can not find information on a short cut through the hotel to DTD to get to the Main Entrance to DCA and Disneyland. I remember it was a door you could walk out of but could not enter because it was locked. Does this sound familiar or am I crazy? I think it came out around Starbucks? Thanks !! Also looking for the best walking map of the area to understand the layout :)

Excitedly planning our first to VGC and this thread has been amazingly helpful. I remember reading but now I can not find information on a short cut through the hotel to DTD to get to the Main Entrance to DCA and Disneyland. I remember it was a door you could walk out of but could not enter because it was locked. Does this sound familiar or am I crazy? I think it came out around Starbucks? Thanks !! Also looking for the best walking map of the area to understand the layout :)

Since you now have to clear bag check/security to enter Downtown Disney I believe they have altered or alarmed that door. HTH

I know this has been asked a few times now but asking again in hopes someone has now gone recently and can comment on progress of pool construction :)

I know this has been asked a few times now but asking again in hopes someone has now gone recently and can comment on progress of pool construction :)
Bumping for pool updates..

We were there Feb 22-23 and everything was drained, tarped, and there was construction equipment inside the pool area. There was a huge wall all around the pool. We took the Grand elevator up to the top floors and could see down. It really makes a big difference in the ambiance of the hotel. However, I think the great hall/lobby of the Grand is the most important--I would have a hard time staying there without being able to use the lobby.

We were there Feb 22-23 and everything was drained, tarped, and there was construction equipment inside the pool area. There was a huge wall all around the pool. We took the Grand elevator up to the top floors and could see down. It really makes a big difference in the ambiance of the hotel. However, I think the great hall/lobby of the Grand is the most important--I would have a hard time staying there without being able to use the lobby.

Thank you! It was completely demo'd before (down to dirt), so this sounds like progress. I've been wondering if they made any changes to the layout. I agree on the lobby...that would really take away the ambiance. That work is supposed to begin this summer. After my trip at the end of April, I'll avoid it until fall.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter