• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Grand California Hotel Vs Disneyland Hotel

NicholeB630

DIS Veteran
I was originally staying at DLH .. well pools will be closed and slides for our trip now that we moved it up. I think Ive decided to do the GCH because its pools will be open and they have one slide as well as cabanas. Its hurts my heart a little because I was loving the look of the DLH. Especially the rooms. Tell me all the perks of the DGH and why we should stay there or maybe why not. Thanks!!!

I was originally staying at DLH .. well pools will be closed and slides for our trip now that we moved it up. I think Ive decided to do the GCH because its pools will be open and they have one slide as well as cabanas. Its hurts my heart a little because I was loving the look of the DLH. Especially the rooms. Tell me all the perks of the DGH and why we should stay there or maybe why not. Thanks!!!
Let's see... The rooms are smaller than the DLH, so they are cozier? (Trying to spin it for you! I prefer DLH.)

Whichever hotel you choose, make sure to pop into the other hotel sometime during your stay. Look around the grounds, the lobby, ask for a brochure at the front desk, etc. If/when you return to DLR, you can book at the other hotel to get a different experience.
Three pros for the GCH: hotel entrance to DCA, pools recently refurbished, Whitewater Snacks (CS -- and very convenient for B,L,D) recently remodeled and retooled and reopened.

Just got back from a stay at DLH. It was nice, but the construction noise was easy to hear from our room, which was on the 10th floor facing the pool on the opposite side of the construction area (Fantasy Tower--main lobby building). I was also surprised at the shabbiness of the room, which was a 1-bedroom suite. It was clean and very nice, but obviously in need of refurbishment. I stayed in GCH in December (not a suite) and the room was great. It was in beautiful shape since the recent remodel and I much prefer the feel of GCH to DLH now. I used to like DLH better or at least as much but I've changed that opinion. I like having the beautiful lobby downstairs. I don't mind the distance at either one; both have things convenient to me nearby and the walk isn't a big deal to me.

Edited to add: I knew the Monorail pool would be closed at DLH, but I didn't realize the spa would be closed as well. That was very disappointing.

Another surprise from my stay at DLH last week was that we only got turn-down service our first night. It's not a big deal, but I look forward to those Ghirardelli chocolates on my pillow :). We got turn-down service every night on our Dec trip at GCH.

Looks like you have little ones and depending on your ride preferences and time of year visiting, changing into dry clothes after a ride on Grizzly River Rapids can be done pretty quickly when staying at GCH. As others have stated-closest resort hotel to everything and best lobby in my opinion if that matters for hanging out (really nice at holiday time).

Another surprise from my stay at DLH last week was that we only got turn-down service our first night. It's not a big deal, but I look forward to those Ghirardelli chocolates on my pillow :). We got turn-down service every night on our Dec trip at GCH.
The Grand has nightly turn down service, DLH has it for CLub level only.

Personally, I really don’t like to stay at a hotel while construction is going on. Especially, something big that is going to impact my stay like construction on the pool. That alone would steer me to GCH. The DLH used to be my favorite but since the remodel I am liking the GCH more. The rooms are brighter, they have more of a luxury feel, the lobby at the GCH is far superior to DLH, I’ve always enjoyed Whitewater Snacks, I love being so close to DCA, and I’ve always liked the pools better at GCH. They are so much more relaxing than at DLH. Do you need more reasons? I’m SURE I could come up with more.... Balconies!!!!!!

Looks like you have little ones and depending on your ride preferences and time of year visiting, changing into dry clothes after a ride on Grizzly River Rapids can be done pretty quickly when staying at GCH. As others have stated-closest resort hotel to everything and best lobby in my opinion if that matters for hanging out (really nice at holiday time).

Yes if its nice enough we'll be on that so that is a great point!!!

Personally, I really don’t like to stay at a hotel while construction is going on. Especially, something big that is going to impact my stay like construction on the pool. That alone would steer me to GCH. The DLH used to be my favorite but since the remodel I am liking the GCH more. The rooms are brighter, they have more of a luxury feel, the lobby at the GCH is far superior to DLH, I’ve always enjoyed Whitewater Snacks, I love being so close to DCA, and I’ve always liked the pools better at GCH. They are so much more relaxing than at DLH. Do you need more reasons? I’m SURE I could come up with more.... Balconies!!!!!!

I agree I won't like the contstruction. Nice to hear the GCH is really nice!!

Looks like you have little ones and depending on your ride preferences and time of year visiting, changing into dry clothes after a ride on Grizzly River Rapids can be done pretty quickly when staying at GCH...
This is super convenient at any time of year! When youngest was going through his GRR phase, we would send him to ride his heart out (= however many consecutive rides until he got it out of his system, so maybe 10+?), then go up to the room to pack him into dry clothes and hit the parks again. :) Miss those days!

We just stayed at DLH during the pool construction two weeks ago. DLH is our favorite and we had switched to GCH because of the pool closure but ended up changing back to DLH. This was just DH and I so did not need the monorail pool. We were in frontier tower and could sometimes hear the construction noise but did not pay much attention to it. There were many people still enjoying the pool available and you could also use the PPH pool.

If DD11 would have been with us and even though we love DLH and those headboards we would have had to switch to GCH or PPH. She loves pool slides.

I have stayed at both, and would stay at both again in a heartbeat! I do think the pool construction alone makes the switch worth it. The pools at GCH are fantastic, which makes the change worth it.

But, I will also say that the renovated rooms at GCH are lovely, the new character breakfast at Storyteller's has delicious food and good character interactions, and the proximity to the parks is so fantastic.

Just got back from a stay at DLH. It was nice, but the construction noise was easy to hear from our room, which was on the 10th floor facing the pool on the opposite side of the construction area (Fantasy Tower--main lobby building). I was also surprised at the shabbiness of the room, which was a 1-bedroom suite. It was clean and very nice, but obviously in need of refurbishment. I stayed in GCH in December (not a suite) and the room was great. It was in beautiful shape since the recent remodel and I much prefer the feel of GCH to DLH now. I used to like DLH better or at least as much but I've changed that opinion. I like having the beautiful lobby downstairs. I don't mind the distance at either one; both have things convenient to me nearby and the walk isn't a big deal to me.

Edited to add: I knew the Monorail pool would be closed at DLH, but I didn't realize the spa would be closed as well. That was very disappointing.

Same. Was hoping the spa/hot tub would be available. Here now.

We have stayed at both, first at GCH (pre-re-model, 2 bedroom suite, Club Level), then DLH (1 bedroom suite) and after one time of that, we have been back to the GCH (post-remodel, Woods/Garden room) several times thereafter. I wholeheartedly prefer GCH over DLH after staying at both.

I didn't think DLH would feel like that much further of a walk than GCH but I was WRONG. There are posters on this board that don't feel it is too far, and they have timed it and measured it, but to me, the feeling of walking just that extra distance was so painful for us (and we exercise regularly and are not at all opposed to walking!) after walking all day in the parks. You actually walk so much more in DLR than WDW, I think, because you park hop by walking (and we hop several times per day). There is no "sitting on the bus" time at DLR, thank goodness, but it makes the feet tired!

I like the style of the GCH much better, with the insanely grand lobby, the stained glass doors, all the Craftsman touches. I felt that the DLH was much more of a generic hotel (I know many here will disagree), and the light up headboards at DLH did not do much for me or the kids for some reason. The pools at DLH are nice, but then so are those at GCH (and at least GCH pools are currently open!). Neither has big slides that appeal to older kids, so no difference there for the ages our kids are now. I did love sitting at Trader Sam's while the kids were in the pools below (they are 11 and 13) at DLH.

The access to DCA is probably the biggest advantage to GCH. It is unbelievably easy to go back and forth. And the security lines to get in are amazingly short any time other than first thing in the morning (and by that I mean they clear within a few minutes of park opening). Get wet on GRR? Go change. Someone having a meltdown? Take one kid back for a break. Need a swim break? Don't we all? Go for it (and book FPs via MP while you sit at the pool for later that night). Cool in the morning but want to ditch the jackets as it warms up? Yep. Grandma worn out and everyone is still going strong? You bet.

The rooms after the refurb are so thoughtfully done, so much nicer than DLH in my opinion. We love the King/sleeper chair/day bed because we get a king and the kids each have their own sleep space, and we don't have to pay for a suite. Balconies!!! And you can see the monorail from many rooms, if you like that. There are great bar options in the evening if your kids are old enough to stay in the room for an hour (thankfully ours are at this point, but wasn't always that way of course).

Overall I should tell you how much I hate GCH so there will be less competition to stay there, but I just love it and so I will share that love here!!

We have stayed at both, first at GCH (pre-re-model, 2 bedroom suite, Club Level), then DLH (1 bedroom suite) and after one time of that, we have been back to the GCH (post-remodel, Woods/Garden room) several times thereafter. I wholeheartedly prefer GCH over DLH after staying at both.

I didn't think DLH would feel like that much further of a walk than GCH but I was WRONG. There are posters on this board that don't feel it is too far, and they have timed it and measured it, but to me, the feeling of walking just that extra distance was so painful for us (and we exercise regularly and are not at all opposed to walking!) after walking all day in the parks. You actually walk so much more in DLR than WDW, I think, because you park hop by walking (and we hop several times per day). There is no "sitting on the bus" time at DLR, thank goodness, but it makes the feet tired!

I like the style of the GCH much better, with the insanely grand lobby, the stained glass doors, all the Craftsman touches. I felt that the DLH was much more of a generic hotel (I know many here will disagree), and the light up headboards at DLH did not do much for me or the kids for some reason. The pools at DLH are nice, but then so are those at GCH (and at least GCH pools are currently open!). Neither has big slides that appeal to older kids, so no difference there for the ages our kids are now. I did love sitting at Trader Sam's while the kids were in the pools below (they are 11 and 13) at DLH.

The access to DCA is probably the biggest advantage to GCH. It is unbelievably easy to go back and forth. And the security lines to get in are amazingly short any time other than first thing in the morning (and by that I mean they clear within a few minutes of park opening). Get wet on GRR? Go change. Someone having a meltdown? Take one kid back for a break. Need a swim break? Don't we all? Go for it (and book FPs via MP while you sit at the pool for later that night). Cool in the morning but want to ditch the jackets as it warms up? Yep. Grandma worn out and everyone is still going strong? You bet.

The rooms after the refurb are so thoughtfully done, so much nicer than DLH in my opinion. We love the King/sleeper chair/day bed because we get a king and the kids each have their own sleep space, and we don't have to pay for a suite. Balconies!!! And you can see the monorail from many rooms, if you like that. There are great bar options in the evening if your kids are old enough to stay in the room for an hour (thankfully ours are at this point, but wasn't always that way of course).

Overall I should tell you how much I hate GCH so there will be less competition to stay there, but I just love it and so I will share that love here!!

That is all great to know and this makes me really excited to stay there now :) Thanks!!!

I didn't think DLH would feel like that much further of a walk than GCH but I was WRONG. There are posters on this board that don't feel it is too far, and they have timed it and measured it, but to me, the feeling of walking just that extra distance was so painful for us (and we exercise regularly and are not at all opposed to walking!) after walking all day in the parks.

This, for me.
After the usual pros/cons (DLH waterslides, GCH smaller rooms, balconies/no balconies)... I always tell friends who are on the fence: stay at DLH first. If you stay at GCH first, and fall in love with it (especially the location), when you walk past it at night you will curse yourself. But, if you stay at DLH the first time and fall in love with it... that "walk" problem is solved on future trips.

They are both great. GCH for us. DLH rocks-- but would avoid pool construction. Have a magical day.

Edit: Sorry typo fixed

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter