Government Assistance help? support?

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by onelostsockie, Jun 8, 2009.

  1. onelostsockie

    onelostsockie Mouseketeer

    Aug 24, 2008
    I notice some people here and there are bashing those on government assistance. I don't know if I qualify or "deserve" it as I am against "spread the wealth" mentality. But the government is spending money so fast. If other people are getting it, why can't I try too? :confused3

    I want to try to apply for food stamps!

    BUT I can't even do the "pre-screen" section on the Florida website because I don't have information for my entire household....

    I'll put my situation out there:

    I live with my 77yr old grandmother and 2 parents. I'm 21 and the only one working. A couple of months ago the retail corporation I work for put a cap of 20 hours on my schedule. I am NOT allowed to pick up extra shifts. My hours were cut in half and I lost my benefits. Now I bring home around $315 bi-weekly.

    My dad's unemployment is about to run out. Most of his unemployment was going toward his health insurance coverage under cobra anyway. With crohn's disease and a hospital stay 3 months ago, my dad has a HUGE amount of medical bills and debt with NO insurance now.

    Problem #1: My dad has too much pride and refuses to tell me what he makes in unemployment and his expenses so I can apply for foodstamps. He simply goes in his room and ignores the question.

    Problem # 2: My 77yr old grandmother was having to work too, but was laid off in January and she is on social security. That pays for the mortage ($700) and utilities (about $150). She will not let me add her on any government form because she is afraid her home insurance will go up when they find out 3 other people live with her. (that is 77yr old grandma logic, not mine. :rolleyes: ...she forgets we all put the same address on our IRS tax forms.)


    I would go up to the office place in person and ask questions, but I don't want to sound like a complete idiot for not knowing my household's income and expenses. I don't think the people there would have much sympathy for my situation.

    Do you think it would be impossible to get food stamps without information from my dad and grandmother? Anybody ever been in a similar situation?Should I just give up? Any support out there? :confused:
  2. Disneyliscious

    Disneyliscious DIS Veteran

    Feb 15, 2009
    These services are out there for people just like you. DONT be ashamed to use them. You an apply and include everyonein your household. Get your dad/grandma on state health insurance - Medicaid....whatever they have.

    Just be honest on your application. If you qualify then take it and take whatever services you need - health, food stamps, etc. Nothing wrong with that. The only info you need on your dad/grandma is a SSN and income amount, however you do not have to list them as claiming benefits to see ifyou can get them for yourself or other family members. You DO have to list who all lives in yor household, but you do not have to see if they qualify for benefits.

    Also, homeowners insurance has nothing to do with how many people liv there (at least not in TN). Its based on your coverage amount - the value o your home.
  3. Avatar


    to hide this advert.
  4. MN_Gal

    MN_Gal DIS Veteran

    Jun 9, 2007
    You will need to list ALL household members on your application whether they want to apply or not.

    Here, if a person is under 22 and living with their parents, then they must be included in their food support unit and their income and assets are also used to determine benefits.

    Also what is considered is if all of the people living in the household purchase/prepare/eat their food together. If so, then all must be one food support unit and all income and assets count towards the determination.

    I would suggest that get the application and brochures from your county agency and bring them home and talk to them about applying. Maybe once they see more information, they would be more willing to apply.
  5. SeedsLuvDisney

    SeedsLuvDisney Mouseketeer

    Mar 6, 2009
    Is a person that goes from working full time to 20 hours eligible for any unemployment?
  6. derocas

    derocas Mouseketeer

    Jun 22, 2007
    These type of services are really state funded so I'm not sure if you are going to get an accurate answer on this board.

    I would go and speak to someone about your family's situation. If you don't qualify for food stamps, your grandmother might qualify for some type of program that benefits the elderly. Your father might qualify for permanent disability depending of the severity of his illness and medical documentation.

    To be honest, I don't think that "you" qualify because if doesn't sound as if you filed "head of the household." Even, though you might be the only one working, there is still income being generated by other members of the household. If their income is greater than yours, more than likely they filed "head of household" on income taxes. The person who would qualify would be the person supporting the household which sounds like your grandmother.

    I would still go and see someone. May be they can point you in the right direction so that you can assist yor family. As far as your employment situation goes, is it possible to get a second job? Unless you are a full-time caregiver for your family, then you should consider finding another job or looking into job training for long term purposes. There are vocational programs that really benefit your age group. Job corp is the name of one of them.

    What your grandmother might be referring to is a discount on homeowner's insurance. It sounds as if she owns the residence and she receives a discount based on her age and income. If the program finds out that others contribute to the expenses, then she might lose her eligability.

    As far as "help" goes, it's a very subjective term. I personally couldn't decide who deserves help and who doesn't. That's not my job or anyone else on this board. It is the job of a social worker in your area to investigate your situation to see if your family is indeed in need of assistance.
  7. a1tinkfans

    a1tinkfans Spreading Some Pixie Dust Today!

    Aug 12, 2006
    Rules vary state to state.
    PLEASE go seek the answers you need and do not be ashamed or turned by those that Bash others, as you stated. Ignorance is BLISS....NO one would/should have anger towards those that deserve and need help. Its why we have it in the first place.

    I hope you find out what you need to make informed decisons as to how you should proceed (and as someone already stated, HO Ins has NO interest in How many people are living in the home, they are concerned with the value they have to pay out for any losses and claims. (they do care when it is ILLEGAL rental apartments and unsafe conditions though) YOU are family, so there should not be concerns there!

    Good Luck to you!
    And didn't the Pres do something to LOWER the Cobra for your dad too????? You need to get that info as well....
    Again, best of luck and just as important, BEST of Health!!!
  8. goofy5

    goofy5 Mouseketeer

    May 26, 2009
    It is designed to help people going through a rough time.(which I think in your situation it is needed) People who abuse the system are the one's who make it hard for the one's who truly need it to get the help
  9. MN_Gal

    MN_Gal DIS Veteran

    Jun 9, 2007
    SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program) is the Federal Name for Food Stamps/Food Support.

    The federal government mandates the program but the states administer the programs, but each state must still follow the federal guidelines set forth

    So technically, each state administers the program, but you must still meed the Federal requirements.

    It is still better to talk to someone at your county office regarding your situation. What I tell people who call to ask if they are eligible is that they should apply if they think they might be eligible. In your situation though, you would follow below (taken directly from the SNAP website):

    What is a Household?
    Everyone who lives together and purchases and prepares meals together is grouped together as one household. However, if a person is 60 years of age or older and he or she is unable to purchase and prepare meals separately because of a permanent disability, the person and the person's spouse may be a separate household if the others they live with do not have very much income. (More than 165 percent of the poverty level.)

    Some people who live together, such as husbands and wives and most children under age 22, are included in the same household, even if they purchase and prepare meals separately.

    Normally people are not eligible for SNAP benefits if an institution gives them their meals. However, there is one exception for elderly persons and one for disabled persons:

    Residents of federally subsidized housing for the elderly may be eligible for SNAP benefits, even though they receive their meals at the facility.
    Disabled persons who live in certain nonprofit group living arrangements (small group homes with no more than 16 residents) may be eligible for SNAP benefits, even though the group home prepares their meals for them.
  10. tnmt

    tnmt Mouseketeer

    Feb 20, 2009
    Go and apply. All they can say is no but you will need the income information of everyone in the family. Does your mom work? I am sure you are looking for another part-time job to go with your other one. Check into unemployment like the other poster sugdgested. I bet you qualify for some benefits. Also, in the state that I live in they are extending benefits for 20 more weeks. See if your dad qualifies for that. Hope things get better. It could happen to each of us at any time.

Share This Page