Goodbye, Maxpass. Hello, Disney Genie.

Any speculation on what the up charge rides will be?

We know Radiator Springs and Rise of the Resistance are confirmed...

I'm seeing a trend that most folks think it'll only be two rides per park. If that's the case: maybe add WEB and then what for Disneyland? Space Mountain? I haven't been to Disneyland yet since reopening (coming soon!!) but been to WDW twice since the no FP and Splash Mountain has seen crazy high demand that seemed like a change from the past... likely because of the revamp coming down the pike. Has that been true for DL too?

It'a just Maxpass at more price with less available attractions. Nothing to see here honestly. I'll buy it at $20/day times 5. Literally what we used to pay for Maxpass, now we'll just get less from it. Call it Disneyflation..
But the main use of max pass is to use it on the rides you can’t use it on anymore. I don’t really need a fast pass for Astro blasters or thunder.

I just hope they split off photopass and offer it as an AP addon. I have no use for this system.

I'm seeing a trend that most folks think it'll only be two rides per park. If that's the case: maybe add WEB and then what for Disneyland? Space Mountain? I haven't been to Disneyland yet since reopening (coming soon!!) but been to WDW twice since the no FP and Splash Mountain has seen crazy high demand that seemed like a change from the past... likely because of the revamp coming down the pike. Has that been true for DL too?

I'm going with an average price of $30 per high demand attraction like RotR. Low ball, $15, New Years Eve, $45.

I can see Indiana Jones being one of the pay per ride. Maybe Splash Mountian after the refurbishment.

Soarin at DCA. Also, Guardians.

I think it's going to be limited. You'll see it for RSR, WebSlingers, and ROTR. My guess is also for MMRR when that opens.

I'm going with an average price of $30 per high demand attraction like RotR. Low ball, $15, New Years Eve, $45.

I can see Indiana Jones being one of the pay per ride. Maybe Splash Mountian after the refurbishment.

Soarin at DCA. Also, Guardians.

Ah what a time to be a teacher that can only visit during the peak times of the year... :crazy2:

I think to get folks to bite some of those prices need to sometimes be at the more "affordable" end of things... like in the $7-$10 range. I would hesitate less for a $7 charge vs a $11 one. It's all a jedi mind trick but it's just how that goes.

I imagine RotR is going to be ridiculous but people will expect that.

it's was reported elsewhere that the price would vary between $4-$24 per person per ride.

Edit: It's a rumor reported by TP

https://touringplans.com/blog/genie...nounced-for-walt-disney-world-and-disneyland/

Haha the quote at the end of that article is good.

"Genie being a tool that can assist you with planning your day with forecasted times, a “plan” that you can “tour” the parks, and more. You can read Disney’s full announcement here. And for no reason in particular, you can read what a TouringPlans subscription provides here."

😂😂😂

Yeah, I'd imagine they're not too happy about this. But I'll be curious to see how honest and accurate Genie is vs.TP. We used the Lines app at WDW and it was usually spot on. If that got going more at DL, would be an interesting way to gauge things.

I think there is no way genie comes close to touring plans.

Genie is a big brother tool to control park traffic, straight out of Wall-E

Touring Plans serves a simple function, to let you make informed line decisions.
Yep. And for those of us who are obsessive about tracking trends and strategies at DLR, we don’t even need Touring Plans or Ridemax, because we’ve gotten pretty dang good at figuring out what to do when, and how to roll with the changes. I’ve used both those in the past, but always ended up using my own experience and learned strategies from the experts on these boards, to come up with a better plan than their algorithms, that fits our family’s needs. And I’m sure I’ll be looking at Genie’s suggestions for where to go next and saying, “Hahahaha NOPE.” 😂

If you pause the YouTube video, you can see some of the rides marked as "for purchase" instead of "genie+". Space Mountain was one of those

Not defending LL, but you don't "have to" to pay per ride or limited rides, since Standby lines will still be open. I agree with your point- however also sadly assume Disney's come back to any complaints will be Standby lines are still free.

That's true, but for all practical purposes when you're visiting with an under 5...maybe under 7...you are forced to pay because kids are not going to wait in a 70 min line for RSR. Disney knows this and that's a bit gross too - that an alleged family/small child friendly destination is backing families with small children into a corner. But I digress :)

Thought experiment:

What if G+ was FREE, but the cost of tickets was increased $20 across the board?

Would people be happier with that?

No, because it’s a zero sum game, and if everyone is rich, no one is rich. lol.

That's true, but for all practical purposes when you're visiting with an under 5...maybe under 7...you are forced to pay because kids are not going to wait in a 70 min line for RSR. Disney knows this and that's a bit gross too - that an alleged family/small child friendly destination is backing families with small children into a corner. But I digress :)

You're free to come with my 7yo who is (at the tail end of) in that age group where she absolutely does not want to ride RSR, ROTR, Space Mountain, etc... we are a strictly Fantasyland, Haunted Mansion, and Soarin' kind of visitor.

Perhaps with G+/LL, I should try to extend this time, for my wallet's sake!

I think THIS is going too far:

"Great news! Boma is re-opening for you on August 20 and will be better than ever! We at Disney have heard what our guests are telling us and they no longer want to wait in long lines to get individual items at buffets. So you'll soon be able to enter into your smart phone what food items you want most into Genie+ and we'll do the thinking for you! Do you like carbs? Then expect a magical seaweed pancake or some fresh pumpkin spice french toast to appear on your family-style platter! Prefer protein, well get ready for some octopus and spicy chicken wings on your plate!

"For guests who don't want to wait for their favorite items, there will be two tiers of our finest foods you'll be able to access more easily! And with Lightning Lane (only $10 per person!), they'll be able to go right up to the counter and select from some of over a dozen of our nearly most popular items. But what if you REALLY want Zebra Domes? If this is what you really desire and you want it now, you'll be able to simply go to Genie+ and tell our magical food delivery fairies that this is what you desire and for just $6 per item we'll make your culinary dreams come true! We've been listening and we know that this is what you want without all the waiting for individual buffet items, free parking at resorts, free airport transportation, and confusing new e-ticket attractions at each park every year. TTFN!
"

Last edited:
If you pause the YouTube video, you can see some of the rides marked as "for purchase" instead of "genie+". Space Mountain was one of those

While I agree that Space Mountain very much could be one of the "for purchase" rides in Disneyland, I do believe that screen shot was for Magic Kingdom at WDW. There is no guarantee that just because a ride is "for purchase" at one park, the same ride at the other park will also be "for purchase". I feel pretty confident though they will put at least one of Space Mountain or Indiana Jones on the additional purchase list.

While I agree that Space Mountain very much could be one of the "for purchase" rides in Disneyland, I do believe that screen shot was for Magic Kingdom at WDW. There is no guarantee that just because a ride is "for purchase" at one park, the same ride at the other park will also be "for purchase". I feel pretty confident though they will put at least one of Space Mountain or Indiana Jones on the additional purchase list.

Since Indiana Jones breaks down so often I would bet Space Mountain will end up being the choice.

I imagine the rides with this up charge will also become extra popular to rope drop- I know that's what I'm going to do. Or ride at closing.

As someone who doesn’t go to Disneyland often, I will gladly pay what they want for a guarantee to ride the new virtual line rides that don’t offer standing in line. The thought of going and not getting to ride is disappointing.

Everyone saying they feel forced to pay due to having little kids and long lines, I get that feeling, but try to embrace the experience. Some of our favorite memories was standing in lines. We met new people, kids played with kids in lines. My daughter was 7 when meeting Anna and Elsa was a huge deal, they were at Disneyland and Olaf was on the roof. She chose to stand in that line for almost 3 hours. We had the best time. Moms took turns taking girls on potty breaks and making snack runs. I loved that. There were really awesome moms at Disneyland that week.

My daughter was 7 when meeting Anna and Elsa was a huge deal, they were at Disneyland and Olaf was on the roof. She chose to stand in that line for almost 3 hours.

I remember that time well. My family's solution to getting photos with Anna and Elsa was to have dad (me) stand in line for over two hours while mom and my two daughters went on rides and checked back periodically on my progress. I would have much preferred your solution and had mom and the daughters stand in line...

I remember that time well. My family's solution to getting photos with Anna and Elsa was to have dad (me) stand in line for over two hours while mom and my two daughters went on rides and checked back periodically on my progress. I would have much preferred your solution and had mom and the daughters stand in line...
You are a nice dad!! Haha I told my daughter if she wanted to do it she was standing in line with me. 😉 dad and brothers went off to play.

So it’s Maxpass without the top attractions and only able to hold one at a time…that seems to literally be not close to what Maxpass was.
You could only ever have one Maxpass until the boarding window opened, which allowed you to book another one. Pretty sure this is the same concept, just less attractions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter