Good thinking or not?

I tried to win the hubby over on SSR. I showed him pictures and YouTube videos and he gave me that "don't ever mention this again" look. hahaha! It's definitely not his taste. I think he would be miserable if we couldn't get something different at 7 months, so I don't want to risk that. It's too bad, though. SSR has great prices on the resale sites, it's a great location, and I like the longer term. =/
So that means he wants BLT? It also has a long term... :)

I am a big proponent of the "buy the cheapest resort you don't mind staying". But to find the cheapest you have to account buy in costs but also the long term MFs and expiration date.
When you sum up everything, BLT is the second best value at WDW just after SSR. It's true it costs more than OKW, but it expires later, this means that it should keep its value for longer. Its MFs are low (but they're increasing at a higher rate than other resorts, something else to consider). And it has the standard view rooms that can allow you to save points and are near to impossible to book if you don't own there.
I think BLT is the resort for you.

So I'm in the "researching/deciding" phase of buying into DVC as well as whether we want to buy direct or resale. We are family of four (with a 4 and 1 year old) and we usually go for my daughters birthday May 9th and my birthday (1st or 2nd week of December). We usually stay on the monorail loop. We love Poly but whole purpose of DVC is to get into 1 bedroom villa's. GF is sold out (if buying direct). Copper Creek looks interesting but I'd rather go to BLT if I had to choose between the two.

So I've been seeing how cheap I can get SS or OKW for, would it make any sense to buy resale whichever points sell for the lowest and then just book any of the resorts 7 months out?
It sounds like a resale at BLT will be the cheapest long term option that will work for this situation.

I'm glad you mentioned this. I was wondering if this was recommended. My husband and I can't make up our minds on which one to buy into, so we thought we would purchase OKW since it's one of the cheaper options. That way we could take several years to explore the other resorts and find out which one is our favorite. Once we know for sure which one is our favorite we could sell OKW and buy there.
Assuming DVC makes sense in general, I think there comes a point where one just makes their best choice and moves forward to decides to go another direction entirely. I would avoid retail in that situation but I would never buy something I don't think would work long term just to try out the system. IMO it's better to investigate well over a good 6 months and maybe rent once or twice. The cost on buying and reselling is in the range of 15%. However, I do believe in underbuying from high end resorts and larger points amounts. IMO OKW isn't really one of the cheaper options when you look at other factors.

I am a big proponent of the "buy the cheapest resort you don't mind staying". But to find the cheapest you have to account buy in costs but also the long term MFs and expiration date.
When you sum up everything, BLT is the second best value at WDW just after SSR. It's true it costs more than OKW, but it expires later, this means that it should keep its value for longer. Its MFs are low (but they're increasing at a higher rate than other resorts, something else to consider). And it has the standard view rooms that can allow you to save points and are near to impossible to book if you don't own there.
I think BLT is the resort for you.
I agree, AKV is likely third but significantly more than SSR by about 20% long term the last time I calculated the difference. While an extended OKW might seem like a good value in some ways, but the dues are an issue and the transition past 2042 is scary and risky IMO.

If your boys won't share a bed, SSR is not a good choice. The 1 bedrooms there have only a king n the master and a queen sleep sofa in the living room. One bathroom.

OKW 1 bedrooms have a twin sized sleep chair in the living room in addition to the king in the master and the queen sleep sofa. One bathroom.

BLT 1 bedrooms also have the sleep chair in addition to the king in the master bedroom and queen sleep sofa in the living room. As already noted by others, BLT 1 bedrooms have 2 full bathrooms.

VGF 1 bedrooms do NOT have the sleep chair - just the king in the master and the queen sleep sofa. One bathroom.

Copper Creek, Boulder Ridge, BCV, BWV 1 bedrooms are similar to SSR.

AKV Kidani & Jambo 1 bedrooms have the sleep chair. Kidani has 2 full bathrooms. Jambo just the one.

Poly has only studios.

Thank you all for your advice! I will keep an eye out for BLT contracts. The only reason why we lowered it on our list was because it cost more up front AND it seems like we'll need more points to stay the length of time we usually stay. For example, we can stay in a 1bdrm at OKW for 147 points. A 1bdrm standard view at BLT is 175. NOT a big difference at all... but what if we can't get a standard view? After all, we do like to travel around MNSSHP, a busy DVC travel time. The next available is lake view at 203. From past posts it looks like this is one of the easiest room to get. I'd want to make sure we got enough points to at least get in here. Is it likely that the price per point would go down towards the end of the year? Right now most BLT contracts I see are about $106-$123pp. That's a little higher than our price limit right now. ;)

Thank you all for your advice! I will keep an eye out for BLT contracts. The only reason why we lowered it on our list was because it cost more up front AND it seems like we'll need more points to stay the length of time we usually stay. For example, we can stay in a 1bdrm at OKW for 147 points. A 1bdrm standard view at BLT is 175. NOT a big difference at all... but what if we can't get a standard view? After all, we do like to travel around MNSSHP, a busy DVC travel time. The next available is lake view at 203. From past posts it looks like this is one of the easiest room to get. I'd want to make sure we got enough points to at least get in here. Is it likely that the price per point would go down towards the end of the year? Right now most BLT contracts I see are about $106-$123pp. That's a little higher than our price limit right now. ;)
Think of it this way: a week in a 1 bedroom at BLT will cost you 175 BLT points, or 203 OKW points. With the longer length of the contract, it really makes BLT a better deal.

1BR standard view at BLT should be doable but they also are getting a bit harder during the last quarter of the year. You do want to be online at 8am at 11 months just to be sure. Standard view studios and 2BR's has always been tough during busy DVC times since BLT opened.

1BR standard view at BLT should be doable but they also are getting a bit harder during the last quarter of the year. You do want to be online at 8am at 11 months just to be sure. Standard view studios and 2BR's has always been tough during busy DVC times since BLT opened.

I've read that in other posts and that makes me nervous about BLT. I don't want to pay all this money just to be stressed about whether or not we'll get the room we want.

I've read that in other posts and that makes me nervous about BLT. I don't want to pay all this money just to be stressed about whether or not we'll get the room we want.

Wanting the 1BR is a huge plus and I'd think as long as you don't miss that 8am for an Oct booking you'll get it most of the time. But I do like to caution against thinking that any buyer can 100% plan on the cheapest rooms at several of the DVC's - that would be BLT standard view, BWV standard view and AKV value. Will it happen? Yes. Is it 100%? No, but I think you'd be ok as long as you recognize that now and then you might have to plan on the lakeview and waitlist the standard view.

The second December after BLT opened I wanted to book a Standard view 2BR for the 1st week of Dec. It was my first time staying Theme Park View! :rotfl: They didn't have online yet so it was calling in at 9 am and I missed out. Of course could have done Lakeview but figured might as well go big. And of course there are ways to virtually ensure you get the room but I'm ok going with what's available - it's nice to change it up a bit. Since you want to try different resorts it also isn't likely to be as critical as if you absolutely had to stay BLT all the time so you'll be able to get into other resort 1BR's for similar or even lower point requirements.

Our first stay was SSR 1 bed a few years ago rack. Then I rented points for a couple of years at VGF and Aulani before buying in to those two resorts. Since then we have also stayed at Poly studios twice, BCV 1 bed, and will stay at BLT Lake 1 bed and AKV Jambo 1 bed Savannah. We will not stay in studios except poly and not more than 4 days. ( I need my washer!!). We do not cook meals. We have 2 children 6,8 and sometimes our 22yo (then we get a 2 bed). Here are my observations in the last couple years since buying in:

Do not count on getting Poly at 7 mos anymore. At first it was easy and cheap and delightful. For this October, I had a whole list ready and had been watching avail closely of what to snag. We wanted 1 bedroom since its just the four of us. I think i ended up with #4 on my list BLT Lake view- the only view avail. AKV Jambo Savannah was gone, Poly was gone, BCV long gone, BWV had 1 room and I waited 5 seconds too long and watched it go. After a couple weeks, Jambo opened up one room and I decided to split stay so I could experience another resort. SSR, Kidani, OKW, BRV all had avail. CCV was gone the moment they released.

Our first stay at SSR was magic and the reimagined DS is fabulous. Of those resorts that were avail SSR would be my fall back. Golf next door, quiet, pools, walk to DS. Eventually, it will get a refresh and I adore the BCV refresh.

Point being, 7 mos is getting harder and harder even just since I started. To stay at another resort, it can be done but for a price. The cheapest views are gone before 7 mos. Even for owners, if you want to lowest point options you need to be on it. So yes, you can get a monorail resort, almost certainly VGF or BLT 1 bed lake view but are you prepared to borrow points to do so? If I were you, I'd be torn between SSR and BLT. The end date on OKW would be too hard for me to justify.

Because of how tight avail was this last planning sesh- we bought the VGF resale and I was torn between BCV and VGF. Ultimately, it was the end date that swayed me. So now, I have piece of mind and forget about the 7 mos unless I want to. Its a lot of energy and worry.

Either way, a great problem to have! Which DVC home resort do I want ; )

When I get over this current purchase VGF will be my next. I am still waiting to close on my BLT contract, and want to book the first week of December next year. It does not help that we have birthdays in the busy time, Me November and son ahd husband December 8 and 9th. I was suprised at how little choice there was, I will be online a 8am to try for next year for sure.

I did look into it. We quoted going the week we wanted, the size of room we would need, and it didn't seem cost effective either. We know we definitely want to buy DVC resale. We have done quite a bit of research, crunched the numbers, and feel confident in our decision. We like OKW a lot. We just don't know if it's what we'll like long term. When I say "several years" I mean 10-20. lol. We only go every other year, so it's going to take quite a while to visit the other resorts. I want to spend the night in rooms, not just walk through the resorts.

Also, my boys are young and they already won't share beds. With OKW's room size, I think we're starting off in the right location. Again, I'm just not sure if that's what we'll need in 10 years.
I started out typing a long response that was full of long-term costs, the "real" cost per point of OKW vs. BLT and how MFs are where the true cost of ownership is hidden. But since you've done quite a bit of research and you've crunched the numbers, I feel that it would be for naught. If you like OKW, don't mind staying there if you cannot book elsewhere and have a long-term plan for the use of your points, then I wish you the best of luck in your search for the ideal contract. I look forward to the day when we can welcome you home as another DVC owner. Best of luck in your search.

I started out typing a long response that was full of long-term costs, the "real" cost per point of OKW vs. BLT and how MFs are where the true cost of ownership is hidden. But since you've done quite a bit of research and you've crunched the numbers, I feel that it would be for naught. If you like OKW, don't mind staying there if you cannot book elsewhere and have a long-term plan for the use of your points, then I wish you the best of luck in your search for the ideal contract. I look forward to the day when we can welcome you home as another DVC owner. Best of luck in your search.

Thank you! I think the biggest pull towards OKW is the "buy where you want to stay" motto I see so frequently. My husband isn't the biggest Disney fan in the world. He'd be fine on any vacation, while I'm thinking, "there are other vacations besides Disney?!" LOL. BUT I frequently get up in the middle of the night and catch him watching YouTube videos of OKW and he'll say, "I just really like this place." It warms my heart. =)

Thank you! I think the biggest pull towards OKW is the "buy where you want to stay" motto I see so frequently. My husband isn't the biggest Disney fan in the world. He'd be fine on any vacation, while I'm thinking, "there are other vacations besides Disney?!" LOL. BUT I frequently get up in the middle of the night and catch him watching YouTube videos of OKW and he'll say, "I just really like this place." It warms my heart. =)
OKW is really beautiful and if it were not for the short contract length and higher MFs, I would consider purchasing it to be used any time I want to make a reservation with less than 7 months to go before arrival. That would preserve my costly VGF points and my precious BWV points for home resort use. If I purchase any more points - and I think my husband's head would explode if I were to even bring this up after having just purchased 2 VGF contracts - it would probably be at SSR or BLT because I consider those two resorts to be a better value in the long run. But that's for a completely different discussion.

You should be able to use them at OKW as well, I don't think one needs points for OKW to stay there, esp for a 1 BR. OKW may be less up front but it will be more long term. IF you want the cheapest, SSR will be that but BLT isn't far behind long term.

That's true with DVC in general but you should be able to get something at 11 months out consistently just not necessarily the standard view.

IMO OKW is a poor choice just to get into the system unless there are other pulls for OKW for you personally.

You should be able to use them at OKW as well, I don't think one needs points for OKW to stay there, esp for a 1 BR. OKW may be less up front but it will be more long term. IF you want the cheapest, SSR will be that but BLT isn't far behind long term.

That's true with DVC in general but you should be able to get something at 11 months out consistently just not necessarily the standard view.

IMO OKW is a poor choice just to get into the system unless there are other pulls for OKW for you personally.

Maybe if I explain to hubby that SSR is the best financial decision, I might just win him over. I cannot explain with words how much he dislikes the theme there. You would have to see his face to fully understand. Haha! But you're right. We're not stuck there. Especially if his favorite is OKW. It doesn't seem like we'll have a problem getting in there at 7 months. And if so, we're still near Disney Springs and still in a Disney deluxe hotel! Can't really complain about that. =)

BUT I frequently get up in the middle of the night and catch him watching YouTube videos of OKW and he'll say, "I just really like this place."

[SSR]I cannot explain with words how much he dislikes the theme there.

I feel like maybe you have your answer.

Although I really must mention that going off of pictures isn't the best way to understand how a place feels. I disliked SSR on paper, too, but in person it's lovely. Paddock pool is so cute and fun (though we started going to Disney after DS was too big to play in their kiddie area).

And we thought I would love Bay Lake, which is why we bought there (AK was DH's choice and I nixed that one...rightfully IMO), but it's just cold and boring in real life to me. I never EVER thought VGF would be my style, and then we stayed in a studio for 2 nights and it's my new LOVE.

So sometimes it's hard to determine your emotions about a place from pictures.

Maybe if I explain to hubby that SSR is the best financial decision, I might just win him over. I cannot explain with words how much he dislikes the theme there. You would have to see his face to fully understand. Haha! But you're right. We're not stuck there. Especially if his favorite is OKW. It doesn't seem like we'll have a problem getting in there at 7 months. And if so, we're still near Disney Springs and still in a Disney deluxe hotel! Can't really complain about that. =)
Personal preference certainly plays a role. It really depends on how you use the points. I would not recommend anyone buy Old Key West unless they plan to stay there most of the time. If you hate Saratoga Springs that may not be the best option even though it is the cheapest option long-term. I can't imagine hating any Disney vacation club resort but certainly preferences are understandable. Have you actually stayed at Saratoga Springs?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter