Good shoes and foot care

Alex2kMommy

<font color=purple>I'm going a little nutso myself
My most comfortable pair of shoes are athletic shoes. I'd like to bring another pair of shoes, but don't know what to get.

On the DIS WDW board, everyone is raving about Crocs, but I took a look at them, and honestly don't see myself ever wearing them. Perhaps could do the thong version... I also saw some thongs in the latest Lands End catalog that look comfy. I need something with a decent footbed for the arch. Even with my comfy tennies, when I'm on my feet all day the arch of one foot aches.

What kind of shoes do you wear and recommend?

Also saw recommendations for moleskin and Body Glide to prevent blisters, which I will pick up before we go. Thank you for your advice!

Honestly, as tacky and unfashionable as it is- I wear my teva sandals and socks. I dont care how it looks! I might wear my athletic shoes now and then, but they always give me blisters.

when I go to the parks, I only wear tennies... the exceptions to that were Grad Nite and our engagement photos, where I wore heels.

well, wait, I may have worn chunky heel boots...? I don't know.

You could probably wear just about anything with a good insole. Maybe you can do unathletic looking tennies like sketchers? I have the slip-on ones that are slimmer - like this:

21575_WHT.jpg

the soles feel a little less padded, but I was suprisingly comfortable after a day at the park.

sorry i'm not more help! good luck! btw, I don't really like the crocs either...

I love my Chacos. They have amazing arch support and are comfy sandals like Tevas. Got them a long time ago and they are still great. Not sure where to get them any more...but I got mine at REI.

I have also heard to spray your feet with deodorant to help prevent sweating and there for blisters. Never done it though!

I'm looking more for comfort than anything else. I'd like shoes I can trade off with the tennies. But the Crocs are soooooo homely that, as comfortable as they are supposed to be, I just don't see myself ever wearing them anywhere other than Disneyland. Would be nice to have shoes I'd wear again, ya know? I'll see if I can find Chacos anywhere... :)

I agree Crocs are not hot ..........on any one ! Tennies or hikers should be fine I wuld avouid flip flops just because they may fall off as you board the rides.

Well...Chacos are not very pretty or elegant...but they arent homely (I dont think! Maybe you do....lol).

Here are some that are at REI (although you can probably do better on pricing)

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Pro...ategory_rn=4501265&vcat=REI_SSHP_FOOTWEAR_TOC

I personally dont like the ones with the toe strap, but they might feel more secure. What I do like is that it is one continuous strap, you just pull the end to make it the snugness you prefer.

I just looked at the REI outlet and they have some there for 30% off. Remember these will last for more than a couple of years too!

These are what DD and myself wear (mens for me of course) .They are great Park shoes but nice for everyday as well.
With or without socks and the heal flips into the shoe letting you wear them as Mules.

Park Shoes

I like to wear my Chaco sandles (I like the toe strap) during the day. They have THE best arch support ever, and make wet rides no problem. At night i usually wear socks and my Birkenstock clogs.

tmt martins said:
These are what DD and myself wear (mens for me of course) .They are great Park shoes but nice for everyday as well.
With or without socks and the heal flips into the shoe letting you wear them as Mules.

Park Shoes

Are these really comfortable without socks? Do your feet get sweaty?

I remember reading about "bodyglide" on these boards. Would you put that on with all the above shoes/sandals?

Anyone tried the Keen shoes? I heard from someone they were nice, but wondering if they'd be okay for all day in DLR. Also thinking about a pair of Merrell sandals. Anyone?

I switch off each day between my Teva's and my tennis shoes. I start out the day in one and change when we go back to the hotel for a break. I also use bodyglide and don't get any blisters. This stuff is amazing! I used to get blisters all the time, but not when I use this! I just rub it all over my feet, in between my toes, etc... then put my socks and shoes on and no blisters!

I had to do a search on crocs to see what you all are calling the ugly shoes... ok, now I know. I have been calling them rubber clogs all this time. I thought about those, but have had allergic reactions in the past to weird plastic or rubber shoes (like those plastic garden clogs... landed me in the ER) I have issues with my toes breathing. I cant wear closed shoes without my entire body getting hot and cranky. I have to wear leather clogs or sandles... even in Idaho winters. (Im the wierdo from california!) I bought a cheap pair of mens sandals at Target a week ago and have been testing them since. They are great! Some kind of almost shoe, almost sandal where the breeze still gets in there. I also bought a slip on, and have my trusty clogs. Three pair. I hope they work. We leave in ONE DAY!!! ;)

cfrith said:
Are these really comfortable without socks? Do your feet get sweaty?

I wear these all the time no sweat at all they are venten all around with mesh .I love being able to flip down the heal and wear as mule and then when getting on ride just flip the heal back .They have great support like good running shoes yet drain and cool like the best of water shoes.

I have had Teva ,Ecco ,columbia,and some other water shoes.We do Sixflags a lot so water shoes are a must and these are the best I've found so far bar none.
Now DD loves her crocs but wants another pair of these as well.

If I know that I will be getting wet I wear my Tevas. I also love my Mephisto's. I have the Helena style but these are leather. They are very comfy and I walked the entire Vegas strip with them. The only trouble with the Mephisto's that I have is that the footbed of the shoes gets dirty, my next pair will have a black footbed. They have many styles avilable. Mephisto

I just looked on the Crocs site and they have a model called Nile that I may be willing to try in a neutral color like maybe Khaki or Black. They don't look as clumpy or large.

OK, so thongs are a bad idea (unless you aren't going on any rides)? Good to know.

Guess I'd better start trying on shoes so I can break in a new pair before the trip...

I always wear my Tevas in the parks. I only wear tennis shoes when I work out at the gym. Otherwise if weather permits I am in sandals. I did just order a pair of crocs after reading all of the reviews on the WDW forum, so I'll test them against the tevas. Comfort is more important to me than fashion.

I always wear my flips flops when I go to the parks. They are black ones that I have gotten from target and have had forever. I have never had a problem losing them on the rides or getting on the rides. They are the most comfortable shoes I own! I don't see how you could lose your flip flop on a ride if you can keep them on your feet when you are climbing stairs it's the same thing you lift your foot to go in the ride. The rides where I could lose them like soarin I just put them in the basket thing.

You know- I am a crocs believer. Wearing tennis shoes for any longer than a couple hours gives my feet blisters. I read about crocs last year right before our trip to Disneyland and bought some the day before. I went to my mom's that day and she thought I was nuts for wanting to wear them. We had 4 day park hopper tickets and my feet did not even get TIRED until day 3. I then wore them all summer. My feet did not get tired in the heat. That was my big fear with the temps in AZ reaching over 110. Now, my mom has a pair and her feet no longer hurt her when she walks.

They also sell airwalks at Payless for 14.99 if you don't want to buy crocs. Whatever you get though, make sure that they are comfy. Another trick I learned is to put vaseline on your feet before putting socks on to prevent blisters.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter