Good restaurant in Newport Beach?

utahkennedys

DIS Veteran
We are visiting Newport Beach for one day and I wanted to take my family to a fun dinner. It will be me, dh, dd1, dd5 and dm60. So, it needs to be family-oriented and have food to please all age ranges...is there anywhere fun in Newport Beach? TIA!

The best one for "fun" for a five year old is Ruby's Diner at the very end of the Balboa Pier. Ruby's is a local chain of 1940's themed burger restaurants (they're second only to In 'n Out Burger as local favorites). It's all white walls and red vinyal seats - and a real lunch counter. This one literally sits at the very end of the pier* right out over the ocean. It is small and can get crowded during the summer, but it's a real California beach experience (in other words, expect a good sandwich but not three star dining).

You can check them out at http://www.rubys.com/diners/360balboa.html .

For real dinner places, there are lots of options. Balboa Island, in the middle of Newport Bay, has a main commerical street with several small and causal restarants. The upper bay has most of the larger and upscale resturants - everything from an Old Spagetti Factory to the Chart House steak/seahouse chain and on to more upscale restaurants overlooking the million dollar yachts and twenty million dollar homes. Up at Fashion Island, the Cheesecake Factory offers great sunset views. Please note - Newport Beach is primarily a residential community, while we do get a lot of tourists we're not a "visitor centered" as Orlando or other spots. A great place for information is Newport Dining at http://www.newportbeachdining.com/default.asp .

* - there are two piers in Newport. The northern most is the Newport Beach Pier. It's right where the Balboa Pennisula meets the mainland. Ruby's is on the southern pier, the Balboa Pier. It's near the ferry landing to and from Balboa Island.

I was also going to suggest Ruby's. We love it!! If you get a kid's meal, they come with little ice cream cones. SOOOO yummy, but I always have had to ask for them, so be sure to ask if they don't offer. Have Fun!

I'm 40...when I was 14 my brother took me to "Charlies Chili" on Balboa Peninsuala...I wonder if it's still there???

Joe's Crab Shack in Newport
Old Spaaghetti Factory in Newport.

OR...Head into Costa Mesa (5-10 min) and eat at The Rainforest Cafe (not the one at Downtown Disney). This one is in the S. Coast Plaza Mall...Kids eat free in Wed. pm., last I checked. Less crowded then DD. Still make reservations. FUN!!!

Thanks everyone, those are all great suggestions. I have heard of Ruby's before but I think I thought it was at Huntington Beach. :thumbsup2

Rubys - aaaahhhh yes - there most certainly is one in Newport Beach - it was the very first Ruby's ever - it sits out at the end of the pier - tiny and cute but wonderful - you can sit inside or up top outside under umbrellas. There is one in Huntington Beach but most definitely one in Newport Beach - I believe their website is www.rubys.com :goodvibes

Yes, there's a Ruby's at the end of the Huntington Beach pier as well. It's much larger and newer, but the location is just as fantastic. It might be a better one if your looking for a full sized restaurant. The one on Balboa Pier is their first location and is rather small (like a lunch counter). There's something especially "California" about sitting far out over the ocean, listening to the waves and the seagulls.

If you like seafood try the Crab Cooker we had a wonderful meal there in 2003. It is a really popular restaurant and prices are very good, the food is servered on throw away plate but that just adds to the atmosphere :)

Claire ;)

Try Giorgio's on Marine Ave on Balboa Island. Real italian food prepared and served by real italians. They will make pasta especially for the kids. It's not themed for kids, but the food is AMAZING!

For the kids, Ruby's is great. You might want to try that for lunch to enjoy the pier....

:)

Whatever you do, don't dine at Carmelo's on Pacific Coast Highway in Corona del Mar. It seems to be very popular... but when I lived there, it was the mortuary. I operate on the premise that you can take a restaurant and turn it into a mortuary any day of the week and you're fine... but taking a mortuary and turning it into a restaurant is JUST SOOOOOO wrong...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter