Golfing benefits- do I have to actually golf?

MickyLynn

Mouseketeer
I see that a member has to present ID to get the discounts for golf. Can a member just be there when they check in or whatever? I don't actually have to play, do I? Also, are the courses good? (Its just grass to me.)

I have no idea how golf works, other than that it occasionally makes traffic problems.

Cannot confirm above one way or the other because I have always been one of the players when I go. But as to the courses, they are very good and well-kept with Palm (my favorite) being the hardest of the three 18-hole courses (Palm has many water hazards and Palm trees strategically located which eat balls -- you can hit into one and the ball may not fall down), Magnolia is the longest with several par fours in excess of 400 yards, but has the widest fairways and the signature par-3, number 6 hole, with the Mickey-shaped sand trap shown in many ads for Disney golf. Lake Buena Vista is the easiest of the three (although none is excessively hard or easy) and meanders through OKW and SSR (clubhouse is at SSR). Time to do a round at any of the 18-hole courses can range from under 4 hours to 4 3/4 hours depending mainly on tee time --the earlier tee times usually have the quicker players while those with tee times 8:30 to 11:30 can often have slow rounds. DVC members can make tee times up to 90 days in advance at https://www.golfwdw.com; early morning times usually disappear before others although times usually remain open for a while past that 90-day start date.

There is also a walking-only 9-hole "executive course," Oak Trail, meaning its holes are typically shorter than an 18-hole course and greens smaller. Oak Trail is a very good executive course but round times can often be very long (as much as 3 hour for just the nine holes)). It often has a lot of beginners and others that move slowly. Oak Trail,Magnolia and Palm are all at the Shades of Green Resort area. You can rent good clubs but fee is expensive; if you do not have a car, resorts provide complimentary transportation (tip needed) to and from the courses.

Last edited:
What DVC (Blue card) benefits do Disney golf courses actually offer? I've never golfed while on vacation in Orlando...

What DVC (Blue card) benefits do Disney golf courses actually offer? I've never golfed while on vacation in Orlando...

DVC members get about a 25% discount per round off the regular price applicable to guests staying on site.

There are also tee times reserved for members. I don't know how much it matters, or if its a blue card benefit.

There are also tee times reserved for members. I don't know how much it matters, or if its a blue card benefit.

There are no special tee times for members just using the DVC discount with the blue card. You can purchase a DVC Golf Membership for $99 a year and that will give you the special DVC tee times and an extra $15 off a round. There are some other benefits to that such as playing in an annual DVC outing, lesson discounts. The golf membership requires you to play multiple rounds a year to justify the cost.

You shouldn't have any issues just checking someone in to play then leaving. I've found the golf courses quite accommodating, at least in comparison to many other areas I've played. Piggybacking on @drusba excellent comments, afternoon tee times are usually easier to get (as is the norm in the South) since it's often smoking hot and humid in the afternoons. I walked up to the LBV course around 1 last summer and was able to tee off right away. As weather patterns often do that time of year, I ran into severe weather about 2/3 into my round, so I returned. Without asking, they gave me a gift card to use the next time I came back to golf, no expiration.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter