golf cart trailer (swivel wheel)

Bens mom

Earning My Ears
Need some testimonials or opinions on the swivel wheel trailer.We want to bring our golf cart next year instead of renting one.My husband is considering having one built he has looked at the swivel wheel,double hitch ,idaho tote and and smart trailer .He likes the swivel wheel 58dw the best .We have a 34 ft 5th anyone know the best place to find the actual swivels .

Need some testimonials or opinions on the swivel wheel trailer.We want to bring our golf cart next year instead of renting one.My husband is considering having one built he has looked at the swivel wheel,double hitch ,idaho tote and and smart trailer .He likes the swivel wheel 58dw the best .We have a 34 ft 5th anyone know the best place to find the actual swivels .

Where do you live? There's a poster here who lives in Houston who has a once used swivelwheel. He has a toy hauler now. I've thought about doing one myself. There's a co. in VA that sells the swivel then you have to buy the tire and rim. One thing to consider is these units will take tongue weight off your kingpin and could actually make the camper squirrly. Is you cart gas or electric. If it's electric a single swivel will not work because the battery weight makes the tire ride to one side. The SW btw is legal in FL. I checked on the FDOT page. Let me or Lonestar know if we can help.

I own a sw58 as long as you have enough hitch weight they work. My 5er only had around 300lbs of hitch weight which was not enough. I bought mine from the manfacture here in Texas. They said later (when I called to complain) they were not aware at the time they sold me mine that a trailer needed to be of a certain size and weight. I added 440lbs of weight to my hitch and made it work for the trip but when we got back we bought another golfcart so we bought a toyhauler that would hold 2 carts. If it works for you the only real down side is if it rains while you are towing it your cart will be filthy all the road grime winds up on your cart. If your near Texas I know of one for sale. Me and stacktester are writing a book on how to spend to much money to get a golf cart to Fort Wilderness :lmao:

Where do you live? There's a poster here who lives in Houston who has a once used swivelwheel. He has a toy hauler now. I've thought about doing one myself. There's a co. in VA that sells the swivel then you have to buy the tire and rim. One thing to consider is these units will take tongue weight off your kingpin and could actually make the camper squirrly. Is you cart gas or electric. If it's electric a single swivel will not work because the battery weight makes the tire ride to one side. The SW btw is legal in FL. I checked on the FDOT page. Let me or Lonestar know if we can help.

Birmingham do you have the info on the people in va that sells the swivels I would like to use a 10 inch wheel the 8 inch makes me a little nervous. I have an electric precedent . dual wheel trailer for sure the singles look a little risky.Our fifth wheel is just over 10,000 lbs pin weight around 900 lbs and we pull it with a 2000 (TANK) crew cab chevy dually . So I feel like I would be ok .

Anywhere right now any suggestions everybody seems tight lipped about the swivels . Only place he has found so far is doublehitch.com but the swivel just doesnt look strong enough to him .

Anywhere right now any suggestions everybody seems tight lipped about the swivels . Only place he has found so far is doublehitch.com but the swivel just doesnt look strong enough to him .

sorry this was in response to firescooby's question

Did you say what kind of rig you have? We have a Blue Ox Sport Carrier I that we bought and never used. Been planning on selling it but never got around to it. It is supposed to be used with a Class A diesel. And you can still tow your car behind it. Has to be used with a three point hitch which you can have installed. Anyway, if you are interested, let me know. Here is the link to the specs. http://www.blueox.us/Carriers/SC1.htm

Did you say what kind of rig you have? We have a Blue Ox Sport Carrier I that we bought and never used. Been planning on selling it but never got around to it. It is supposed to be used with a Class A diesel. And you can still tow your car behind it. Has to be used with a three point hitch which you can have installed. Anyway, if you are interested, let me know. Here is the link to the specs. http://www.blueox.us/Carriers/SC1.htm

We have 5th wheel . I think that would be to much stress on the the frame of a 5th wheel.

yea we love the overall design of the 58dw but when we talked to them they quoted us almost 600.00 on freight alone just seems a little steep .

I live pretty close to where they are built so I didint pay freight.:)

I own a sw58 as long as you have enough hitch weight they work. My 5er only had around 300lbs of hitch weight which was not enough. I bought mine from the manfacture here in Texas. They said later (when I called to complain) they were not aware at the time they sold me mine that a trailer needed to be of a certain size and weight. I added 440lbs of weight to my hitch and made it work for the trip but when we got back we bought another golfcart so we bought a toyhauler that would hold 2 carts. If it works for you the only real down side is if it rains while you are towing it your cart will be filthy all the road grime winds up on your cart. If your near Texas I know of one for sale. Me and stacktester are writing a book on how to spend to much money to get a golf cart to Fort Wilderness :lmao:

So you were told even WITH a swivel wheel trailer you still needed a heavier trailer?

My 5th is only about 7500lbs empty. If this is going to be an issue even with the swivel wheel I need to know.

Thanks

So you were told even WITH a swivel wheel trailer you still needed a heavier trailer?

My 5th is only about 7500lbs empty. If this is going to be an issue even with the swivel wheel I need to know.

Thanks

It's not about the weight of the trailer, it's the tongue weight. When you attach a SW or DW to the 5'er the cart puts weight on the back therefore making the tongue come up. I'm kinda thinking a DW may not lift it as much.

My Cougar is already a toy hauler but I have a problem getting the cart in with the big tires. The back room is rated for 1k pounds so I doubt I will have a problem. One thing I suggest if you're going to do this, is go on Ebay and buy a tire pressure monitoring system. I found a good system so if you're interested I can give you the link. You don't want to be towing this thing and have a flat and not know it.

When Lonestar and I publish our book "How to spend thousands to get your cart to the fort" we'll send you a copy lol.

It's not about the weight of the trailer, it's the tongue weight. When you attach a SW or DW to the 5'er the cart puts weight on the back therefore making the tongue come up. I'm kinda thinking a DW may not lift it as much.

My Cougar is already a toy hauler but I have a problem getting the cart in with the big tires. The back room is rated for 1k pounds so I doubt I will have a problem. One thing I suggest if you're going to do this, is go on Ebay and buy a tire pressure monitoring system. I found a good system so if you're interested I can give you the link. You don't want to be towing this thing and have a flat and not know it.

When Lonestar and I publish our book "How to spend thousands to get your cart to the fort" we'll send you a copy lol.

I am thinking about building one with two of the double hitch http://www.doublehitch.com/dhbuy.html wheels on each corner.

Mine would haul an electric cart (around 800-1000), but don't wanna start if it's gonna cause problems.

Thanks

Thanks

I think you will be ok at 7500lbs as long as your pin weight (or hitch weight) is not to light. My old 5er fully loaded was 6200lbs and the pin weight was only 300lbs.

Was it designed that way or due to loading/mods? Any stability issues? I have never heard of a 5'er or even a bumper pull with that small amount of pin/tongue weight.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter