Gold pass renewal question

elgerber

DIS Veteran
So we had 4 passes, we got refunded during the closure on two of them and took the extension on the other 2. Of course we cancelled the December trip, so never even used the extension. I want to renew the gold passes we still have, but I am wondering, if for some reason we are still not able to do this year, and we don't actually activate our renewal, do we just lose it? Or would we be able to use the price we paid for the renewals toward a portion of the cost of a new pass down the road (when they sell them again)?

The value will always be there to use toward a new pass. You are also eligible to buy new ones for the other two since you canceled, Might want to take advantage of that as well.

The value will always be there to use toward a new pass. You are also eligible to buy new ones for the other two since you canceled, Might want to take advantage of that as well.
Thank you! So if I renew and don't go, we won't lose anything, that makes my decision.
I don't know that the other two will be going anytime soon, and one no longer lives with me, so the AP would be wayyyy too pricey, but thank you!

I'm not sure the prior is correct. A renewal always goes into effect the day after expiration. You cannot renew and delay activation and get renewal cost.

I'm not sure the prior is correct. A renewal always goes into effect the day after expiration. You cannot renew and delay activation and get renewal cost.

The value of the certificate was the way I interpreted the question. That if one does not renew, then what was paid can be used toward the purchase of an AP...that you don't simply lose all your money.

OP...if that is not what you were asking, let us know!

The value of the certificate was the way I interpreted the question. That if one does not renew, then what was paid can be used toward the purchase of an AP...that you don't simply lose all your money.

OP...if that is not what you were asking, let us know!
Yes that is exactly what I was asking. I know I cannot activate later for 12 new months, just want to know if I can apply the value of what I paid, toward a new ticket.

Yes that is exactly what I was asking. I know I cannot activate later for 12 new months, just want to know if I can apply the value of what I paid, toward a new ticket.

You cannot. A newly-issued pass (gold pass sold to you under the special circumstance for your cancelled pass in the shutdown) can be delayed to begin activation any time through 2030.

But a renewal of a current still-valid pass will simply extend that pass another 365 days. If you don't use it during that additional year's time, the money is gone and you are left with nothing (other than the likely ability to pay to renew the pass again down the road.)

You cannot. A newly-issued pass (gold pass sold to you under the special circumstance for your cancelled pass in the shutdown) can be delayed to begin activation any time through 2030.

But a renewal of a current still-valid pass will simply extend that pass another 365 days. If you don't use it during that additional year's time, the money is gone and you are left with nothing (other than the likely ability to pay to renew the pass again down the road.)

That has not been my experience. Unless it has changed this year, the value of what was paid was not lost when the pass was never renewed. It was applied toward a new pass, just as multiday tickets has in the past.

Sandi, possible I'm confused- but I don't think that is what the OP is asking. I read the question as, if they renew a currently active pass but don't go back in the parks during the period the renewal covers, does it expire one year after the current existing pass expires? And the answer to that would be yes it would expire at the end of that renewal period.

One cannot renew an active pass but have it delayed to still be good for some future time more than a year down the road- one can only get a delayed future pass by allowing one's current pass to expire and then later buying a "new" pass when ready to go back (and whenever they open the new pass sales back up, of course).

Whereas a voucher for a new pass that hasn't yet been activated can be delayed to activate any time between now and 2030.

Sandi, possible I'm confused- but I don't think that is what the OP is asking. I read the question as, if they renew a currently active pass but don't go back in the parks during the period the renewal covers, does it expire one year after the current existing pass expires? And the answer to that would be yes it would expire at the end of that renewal period.

One cannot renew an active pass but have it delayed to still be good for some future time more than a year down the road- one can only get a delayed future pass by allowing one's current pass to expire and then later buying a "new" pass when ready to go back (and whenever they open the new pass sales back up, of course).

Whereas a voucher for a new pass that hasn't yet been activated can be delayed to activate any time between now and 2030.

I think the OP clarified though. They will buy a renewal certificate and then if it doesn’t get activated within that year...because they never go.. then what was paid would at least be there to use toward a new one later on.

The renewal certificate wouldn’t let you renew after the year, or use its value to just buy a new one but what was paid is not lost...it was not for me,

I went to guest relations with my DD...whose it was for...and they allowed the value to be used toward her new AP...I paid the difference.

I only did It the once, but what we paid to renew, when she never ended up going, was not lost.

ETA: I just purchased a renewal for myself to renew my current pass which expires in March. The system will actually let me reassign that renewal voucher to someone else since I have not yet used it. Granted, it wouldn’t work for entry until activated again, but I can actually give it to say my DD who also has a pass that expires in October.

Last edited:

That is not what I was asking, Sandi was correct in my question. Most people say no, Sandi says yes. I think it's a risk worth taking, as I need a 7 day hopper anyway, which is pretty much the same price.

Hi there, please excuse the highjack of the thread!

We are in a similar situation. We had annual passes that we received the refund for because we live in CA and were not able to travel to FL before our passes were set to expire in October. We are trying for another trip this coming October (fingers crossed as this is a WDW/DCL trip). I'd like to get our passes reinstated but can't find what the cost would be or which number to call to do the transaction.

Do I call Member Services or WDW Ticketing and does anyone know what the cost is for the Gold Annual Pass?

Thanks so much!!

Jane

Hi there, please excuse the highjack of the thread!

We are in a similar situation. We had annual passes that we received the refund for because we live in CA and were not able to travel to FL before our passes were set to expire in October. We are trying for another trip this coming October (fingers crossed as this is a WDW/DCL trip). I'd like to get our passes reinstated but can't find what the cost would be or which number to call to do the transaction.

Do I call Member Services or WDW Ticketing and does anyone know what the cost is for the Gold Annual Pass?

Thanks so much!!

Jane

Since you are eligible for the recovery offer since you canceled an AP, you call the AP line and they will take your information. You will get a call back in about 10 days once they verify you are, and then you can buy,

If you are eligible for a DVC pass...blue card...it is $719 plus tax doe the gold and $899 plus tax for platinum.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter