Going to WDW on June 28th - have question about suitcase locks

First timer

Mouseketeer
This is not really a Disney question but more a travel question. Has anyone locked their luggage with a TSA approved lock? I have not been on a plane since 2000. Always locked my suitcases but now with the new rules you have to use the approved locks but I have received conflicting info about the locks being cut and lost or not returned. I have also heard that the ones that have a lock on them are most definitely searched. Not that I have anything to hide but I hate the thought of people rifling through my things.

Anyone use the locks?

I have that same question! I have only flown once since 2001, and we locked our luggage with the generic locks that came on the suitcases. I don't have anything to hide, either, but I feel more comfortable locking my luggage. It also reduces the risk of the suitcase coming open in transit.

So, you more experienced flyers: Do we need to buy the "special" TSA approved locks or can we use ours??

Thanks!

I'm using the TSA locks. The ones I got are a bit dinky though. They'll probably get knocked off in transit.

My brother-n-law works fueling jets, de-icing, luggage handling, etc. He said he sweeps up thousands of little locks, luggage tags, and zipper pulls off luggage all the time. I'm missing a couple luggage pulls myself. I'm more inclined to believe if the locks are missing, they probably just are flimsy locks and got damaged while loading/unloading.

The only time my luggage was searched, I had a formal letter in my suitcase explaining that it was searched. I'm thinking it got searched because nearly all cosmetics, lotions, etc contain glycerin and I dumped them all in the same suitcase to come home. Who knows. My Mom got paged in the airport once. The authorities explained to her that she either packed items with glycerin or had glycerin lotion on her hands while packing. The equipment that screens luggage flagged hers and she had locked it so the airport personnel had her unlock her suitcases. That was nice. I guess they could have just cut the locks off.

Anybody else travelled with the TSA locks?

Sometimes the TSA agents don't have a key handy and will just cut your lock off.

What we do is use the small Zipties on all the zippers but 1 small pocket.

This way you know if someone was in your bag and it does deter the routers from just sliding a hand in .

Tsa will (most of the time ) replace cut Zipties with a letter inside as well.

Locks zips or anything else won't stop a theif if they want in they will just cut the zipper then tape it saying it ripped .

But with the ZIps at least you know they were in it.

Now I leave 1 open pocket for my cuttter But put your extra zips for the return trip in your carryon as if they find them they will just put one back on.

We have traveled several times with the TSA locks and have never had any issues at all. We have the set your combination ones and they are not flimsy at all.

tmt martins said:
Sometimes the TSA agents don't have a key handy and will just cut your lock off.

What we do is use the small Zipties on all the zippers but 1 small pocket.

This way you know if someone was in your bag and it does deter the routers from just sliding a hand in .

Tsa will (most of the time ) replace cut Zipties with a letter inside as well.

Locks zips or anything else won't stop a theif if they want in they will just cut the zipper then tape it saying it ripped .

But with the ZIps at least you know they were in it.

Now I leave 1 open pocket for my cuttter But put your extra zips for the return trip in your carryon as if they find them they will just put one back on.

I like the zip tie idea. I thought about doing that. What did you pack to cut them with?

I saw the combination locks. They look sturdier than what I bought. I opted for the cheaper key lock ones that came in a pack of three.

We use Ziptie's also. I have never(knock on Wood) had any thing taken from my luggage.

Kae

Hoosier Mom said:
I like the zip tie idea. I thought about doing that. What did you pack to cut them with?

I saw the combination locks. They look sturdier than what I bought. I opted for the cheaper key lock ones that came in a pack of three.

I back a retractable razor cutter.
It's fine for checked luggage

I fly around 5 times a year 3 or4 time with thousands of dollors in Paintball equipment and never had a problem.

I also now that they are relaxed a bit keep a nail clipper ( no foldout file) in my carry-on it cuts them off as well.

nordkin said:
We have traveled several times with the TSA locks and have never had any issues at all. We have the set your combination ones and they are not flimsy at all.

We purchased the combo ones as well. Will give them a try based on all the postings. Thanks for all the responses. :wave:

The only problem with the TSA locks are that the handlers in the back all have the combos and Keys (thats why TSA can't find theirs) So your giving yourself a false sence of security as Like 90 % of the thefts are baggage handlers .

With the Zips the chance that they are going to have a small colored Zip like mine are slim at best.

Just a Thought.

Throw away that Samsonite suitcase with the pull out tilt out snap out corner locks.

The TSA is the final nail in the coffin for that kind of suitcase.

Unless locked in place with the key these locks pop open as your suitcase is handled, and things spill all over the conveyor belts, baggage rooms etc. in the airport.

When the suitcase sits on a hotel suitcase rack, you catch your clothes on the snapped out tilted out locks as you walk past. When the suitcse sits on the floor you stub your toe on the snapped out tilted out locks. If you push the locks in with the lid not closed, then you accidentally pick up the suitcase and the lid opens suddenly and spills everything out.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

I put some locks on my suitcase a few years ago and they cut it off and put a letter inside saying that they had to check it out... my BIL was also with me and had the same thing happen to his suitcase...so now I use the little zippy things also...

First timer said:
We purchased the combo ones as well. Will give them a try based on all the postings. Thanks for all the responses. :wave:

Where did you get your locks?

Mis WDW - I purchased my locks at ebags. Now I am scared to put them on. :scared:

Perhaps I will end up trying the zipties. Where does one find them?

First timer said:
Perhaps I will end up trying the zipties. Where does one find them?

Small ones at any electrical supply store, Radio shack ,Home depot,Sears ,Lowes and some Grocery stores sell them.

Don't worry less them 2% of all bags get tampered with to begin with but if they really want to get in nothings going to stop them.I just want to know that they were in right there on the spot so I can bring it imeditily to the attention of the airline.

I just use plastic bag twistes.
Not very secure - but does just fine for holding the zipper tags together.

I bring all $$'s, cards, tickets with me as carry on. Also in carryons all camera's, film, contacts, glasses, some toiletries (always could get new toothbrushes, paste, shampoo, soap at WDW, so they go into suitcases)

If they wish to inspect my bags, go for it.
Take what is inside ? - do they really wants socks and underware - if they are that desperate- I hope it fits :rotfl:

Twist ties from plastic bags are easy to take off, easy to find, easy to put back on for the trip home.

Just our 2 cents

I bought a package of cable ties in the dollar store. They work fine. I put a blunt tip scissor and extra ties in the small zipper section of my checked luggage.

Wow! I'm glad I read this post! We will opt for the zipties also. I like what the pp said about possible theifs not being able to find colored zipties...that really makes sense to me.

Am I understanding correctly if my ziptie is missing and there is NO letter explaining that my suitcase has been legally searched that I was probably the victim of a possible theft???

Thanks for this post!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter