Going solo for the first time - a few questions

Deanie1

DIS Veteran
I have had this trip in my mind for a couple of years now but i can't quite push the button yet. I am hoping my friends on the DIS can give me some advice and reassurance.

I have been to WDW before, 7 times before in fact but always with family. My DH doesn't like to travel. My two grown sons aren't interested and my DD, who is 29 MIGHT come but it's very iffy. So, I plan to book my first solo trip to the world. I am from western Canada and it takes me a whole day (and 3 flights) to get to Orlando and the same coming home. So, a quick trip is out for me. I am sure I will be lonely at times, especially on rides but on the other hand, I can come and go wherever and whenever I want. I am thinking of staying at POR, probably in a preferred room for 8-9 days. It will be pricey in Cdn dollars but we have always stayed here and I like it. Is that too much? I would like to do Universal for a day to see Diagon Alley and Gringotts. I am 62 YO but quite active but I don't have the luxury of waiting several years either until someone is "ready to go". I plan to go right after USA Thanksgiving and into early Dec.

So, a few questions:
- should I be trying a new resort? Can't afford to stay Deluxe though
- will one day be enough for Universal? Can I add a second day onto my ticket once there?
- Do you guys think this is too long for a first solo trip?
- I would like to meet up with some other DISers on some days for a meal and/or a few hours in the park. Is it fairly easy to meet other DISers? And with this in mind, should I make the ADR for 2 or more?

Thanks to all my DIS friends. You guys can always be relied on for me to get my Disney fix.

1. Have you ever tried POFQ? If not, it's a smaller resort than POR and quite lovely. It could scratch the itch about possibly trying another resort without going too out of your comfort zone.

2. Personally, I think one day at Universal is fine, though admittedly I only really have major interest in the Harry Potter stuff.

3. For me, it would be too long of a trip. But that's all personal preference. How do you feel about it?

4. I believe there are threads for meet-ups... I would check those out. :)

Admittedly I have never spent more than a couple of days solo at WDW before family joined me, but I will say I really enjoyed the ability to do what I wanted when I wanted. I think you'll have a really good trip!

I'm sure POR would be a great resort. I prefer spending less money myself. I go alone frequently and feeling safe is a priority. All Disney resorts have security gates as do many other local resorts/hotels. It really just depends what you want from your stay. Tripadvisor is a good place to check reviews for hotels you're not familiar with.

For Universal it depends what you want to do. You will not be able to do everything in one day. I will assume (as a physical therapist) that you may not go on some of the more intense coasters. You should be fine getting to all the shows and seeing what you want if you are skipping some of the coasters. At that time of the year the park will be open long hours until the Monday after Thanksgiving. I will be there at that same time this year. The week after Thanksgiving slows down during the weekdays but the parks aren't open as long.

I was there 10 days alone last year at Thanksgiving. Everything is decorated for Christmas and the weather is usually great. I love solo trips since I can do what I want when I want and not worry if I change my mind at the last minute. I personally have APs for Universal, SeaWorld, and Busch Gardens this year since I love coasters. You are traveling from so far away I would stay as long as you can. I personally prefer to pay less and stay longer and go more often. I should also say I've gone to Orlando at this time every year for the past 9 years since I've met my husband. He goes hunting in PA and I go to FL.

I have never met with anyone from this forum so not sure about ARDs. If I go to a high end restaurant alone I sit at the bar. The bartender will always make you feel comfortable and you can meet people there. I usually end up talking to married couples and giving travel advise.

Good luck.

I would want to try a different resort, because that's something I love doing. POR is great though, so that's just up to you. I agree with the above post about considering POFQ though. Of the 2 resorts, I like them both but really love French Quarter. And it's so close you can still walk over to Riverside if there are things you enjoy doing there. You still have your boat to disney springs, which is nice. It's a much smaller resort and I love that about it.

For me, 8-9 days would not be too long. I would love that. (I am now a local, but haven't lived here long. Before moving here I took several solo trips here and would stay a week for most trips, one trip was 10 days. I loved having that many days to have a good bit of resort time, to explore other resorts some, visit Disney Springs more than once, etc.

My solo trips were so much fun. It's great to experience it all with others, but it's also nice to go at your own pace, do exactly what YOU want without concern for others, and to change your plans at the last minute if you desire. It's very freeing and a great way to experience the parks.

If you are hoping to meet up with people, then yes make the ADR's for 2 or 4 people, then change them later if necessary. Always easier to subtract numbers from your party than to add. There are many threads where people post there plans and if they have openings for others to join them.

Do it! I don't think you will regret it. I don't think you will be lonely. You'll have so much to do you won't have time to feel that way. It will pass by quickly...always does.

POR is a great resort, but very spread out. As you mentioned I would def get a preferred room as it is close to the main building. I also recommend POFQ, as gingerfeathers has... It's much smaller though a tad more expensive.

As for Cost and Deluxe, have you considered DVC or would you prefer not staying in a Villa?

I am currently in the process of pricing out rooms for a solo trip and I have found the prices of Studio Villas in some of the delux hotels to be quite reasonable (Boardwalk specifically, which would be a great location for a solo traveler due to being so close to IG at Epcot).

I think that the length of your trip is perfect, especially with your going to Universal for a day (or so depending on what you deserve). Plenty of time to hit whatever you want and to relax.

Good luck with your planning.

So, a few questions:
- will one day be enough for Universal? Can I add a second day onto my ticket once there?
- I would like to meet up with some other DISers on some days for a meal and/or a few hours in the park. Is it fairly easy to meet other DISers? And with this in mind, should I make the ADR for 2 or more?

Thanks to all my DIS friends. You guys can always be relied on for me to get my Disney fix.

Do you spend a lot of time at the resort? If not, I'd recommend Art of Animation or Pop Century. If you are. POR/FQ are ideal.
Universal depends. I spent 3 days there and didn't do everything. Also Universal is expensive now for Park-to-Park. Over 200 CAD for a 1 day ticket.
I am going for 10 days solo and wish I could swing another 2. But this is personal preference. I will say that you get more comfortable on a solo as the days go by. So by day 5 you will be in full swing and out with a mission. Compared to nervous, am I really doing this alone. Also travel time means that I would want a longer trip. You are spending 2 days on travel, make it worth it.

I have gone solo a few times and with family too. I really enjoyed the solo trips and am planning another one for December 10th through 17th! Love the Christmas decorations and hopefully lower crowds before Christmas and after Thanksgiving.

I don't think your time at the parks is too much especially with factoring in Universal. I usually only am able to stay 8 days and 7 nights (I try to get the latest flight home to enjoy the last day there) and I have never found myself bored. I will do table service and get a table for 1. I have not been treated differently other than perhaps given more attention! Cast members when they found out I was traveling alone took time out to talk with me.

I also found waiting in line either playing a game on my phone or talking with others in line.

I am staying offsite this time so will be driving a rental car to the parks, but I have done this in the past and always feel safe walking to my car. One time I felt a little ill at ease on my first solo trip and a cast member actually walked with me to my car which was parked in the "diamond" parking area when they had that. (So no tram to get to vehicle).

I am a 59 year old female and go on almost every ride the only ride I totally avoid is at Universal (Rip Rocket). I rode that once and that was one time too many.

Have a great trip and if you end up going around the same date as I am maybe we can meet up.

Nancy

I cannot speak for the Resorts as I have only stayed onsite once in my 45 visits, but, as far as Universal goes, I'd say two days, minimum. I am 68 years old and just returned from there last Saturday. I drove there solo from North Carolina so I had transportation. I have been before, but, I'm thinking of it as the things that someone my age or near might enjoy. You have to buy a two park pass if you want to take in all of the Harry Potter stuff and you do not want to miss the train ride between the two parks. I spent one day in WDW with a park hopper and concentrated my time between Epcot and MK. If you are staying a lot longer that isn't necessary. I have only stayed in POP Century in my one visit. I didn't care for it much, but, I was used to staying offsite so I felt a little confined. That probably wouldn't be your reaction.

Thank you so much for all the replies. Any more advice and tips would be greatly appreciated.

The first time our family of 5 went to WDW we stayed at a "good neighbour" hotel near downtown Disney. Then we stayed at POR as it was the only mod or value resort at the time that would sleep 5. I really do love it there and the food court is very good. But it is big, which is why I may have to spring for the preferred location. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and while I am very mobile, I do have some foot problems and even though I always buy good running shoes at the running stores, I tend to get blisters. I also usually go commando mode so I prefer not to do miles at the resorts. CSR and CBR look so spread out and no bridge. POFQ is great size wise but I don't like the theming as much and the food court is not as nice. BUT the bus situation is better, it is nice and compact and I wouldn't need to get a preferred location due to the size. I would feel safer coming back alone at night.( On our last trip, I was the only one getting off at POR East Depot and it was very dark). I don't like the pool as much but really, in Dec how much swimming will I be doing? I love the hot tubs though! Renting DVC points, I would need a car wouldn't I? I am a little nervous driving around Orlando. The traffic is so much busier than I am used to and I can get get lost in my own back yard (almost - haha). I don't spend a ton of time at the resort so I might consider POP. Oh wait...isn't that Pop-Warner week? And Art of Animation says its more expensive than POR. Am I missing something there?

I had no idea that Universal was so expensive now! We last went in 2013 and got 2 day park to park passes. I will have to be selective with what I do if I only go the one day. I do go open to close, though. The taxi trips were very costly. Do you guys think Uber would be a safe bet to do on my own? At least on the way there? I sound like a scaredy cat and I am certainly not but I have never used Uber.

Janicept, I went at this time in 2012 with two of my sisters. We walked onto most rides and I loved seeing all the Christmas decorations. Harry Potter was new to me and I absolutely LOVED it! I am looking forward to seeing Daigon Alley this trip. The only coaster I will do is The Mummy. Our favourite things at Disney were Osborne Lights and the Candlelight Processional. I really appreciated the cooler temps and the smaller crowds but I did miss going to a water park.

Bamacmac, I have loved reading your posts and trip reports over the last few years. Thanks so much for your words of encouragement! I am going to book it tomorrow.

Nancy 155, I would love to meet up with you if I am still there but I might be leaving just as you are arriving. I would never go on RRR, way too high and too fast but I also don't do the Hulk or the Dragons. Or Tower of Terror. I pretty well do everything else. I am trying to see everything this trip as I am planning other trips around Canada and possibly a trip to Africa in the next few years.

Goofyernmost, I know if I only do Universal for one day, I will need to pick and choose what I do so I will need to really prioritize. I will definitely be focussing on the HP stuff and will be getting a P2P pass. Two days there will increase my price a lot, especially in Canadian dollars. And, our low Canadian dollar is why I might consider POP. (But I don't think I will!)

Mears shuttle return is I think 20 to 24 dollars compared to upwards of a 100 for a taxi. It is shared ride.

Hi Deanie1,

Some people like POR better than POFQ, others like POFQ better than POR. Whichever one appeals to you most, is the better choice for you.

If you're not used to that much solo time it could seem a little long, but still worthwhile since you're traveling a long way.

To meet other Dis'ers you usually will need to make plans with them in advance. I've met lots of Dis'ers on my solo trips. If our trips were around the same time I would have liked to meet you also, but this year my trip is in early March.

Art of Animation has "family suites" priced higher than POR, and individual "Little Mermaid" themed rooms priced lower than POR. I've stayed in a Mermaid room and also stayed at all the moderate resorts. The Mermaid room was cute to do once but it's small even for one person.

I would consider planning your dates with a possible free dining promotion. This is still some time away from being announced, but you have a chance for it. I'm not sure how it works for Canadiens. Of course, there's no guarantee a free dining promo will be offered this year but it has been done for a few years now. This would save you a lot.

If no free dining offer then I would consider POP resort with a preferred location. I would save the money going to a value; so, you could take in some extra activities like Disney Park tours. Also, take in a special lunch with an Imagineer. Do the Candlelight Processional Dinner package. Do a fireworks dessert party.

There is more to see and do during the Christmas season at Disney World; so, I think 8 to 9 days would be fine.

Nancy 155, I would love to meet up with you if I am still there but I might be leaving just as you are arriving. I would never go on RRR, way too high and too fast but I also don't do the Hulk or the Dragons. Or Tower of Terror. I pretty well do everything else. I am trying to see everything this trip as I am planning other trips around Canada and possibly a trip to Africa in the next few years.

Goofyernmost, I know if I only do Universal for one day, I will need to pick and choose what I do so I will need to really prioritize. I will definitely be focussing on the HP stuff and will be getting a P2P pass. Two days there will increase my price a lot, especially in Canadian dollars. And, our low Canadian dollar is why I might consider POP. (But I don't think I will!)
I understand budgeting, and there are a lot of things to see. I don't know what type of attractions you like, but, if your anything like me your desire for things in IoA may be limited. This is what I recommend. With just one day... go to IoA first, as early as you can, go directly to Harry Potter, go with that and then get the train to London from Hogwarts and do Diagon Alley. That will take care of that area early before the crowds get heavy, then decide what you might like to do in Universal Studios. A lot of very good shows and attractions there. I love Terminator 2 (check on that because it doesn't start up at the same time everyday), Shrek, Despicable Me, ET, Transformers, Simpsons, Men in Black, Return trip on the train from Kings Cross Station (worth riding both directions) to IoA. Check out Poseidon's Fury (show), Spiderman and whatever else might fit in with the day. Using the train to go between the parks saves a lot of walking, but, will require some standing in line and in shows.

You might have to adjust based on crowds. Despicable Me is one that generally has the longest wait times. If you can afford it get the express pass, that will speed up and expand your touring possibilities by a lot. I did everything listed an more in two days, but, I didn't use any express passes or stay really late (not even past 4:30) or get there really early. What I listed will give you a really good feel for the park, I think.

Last edited:
There would be a lot for me to see at Universal in a day, for sure, and if I go as planned, right after USA Thanksgiving, the hours will likely be shorter. The only coaster that I like there is the Mummy and I don't care for the jerkiness of the Simpsons. I have missed Terminator that last few trips so I may try to see it if I have time. Kong is new so its a must, and also ET, Transformers and Shrek. At IoA, there is not a whole lot that I would feel compelled to do, I really like Spider-Man and Jurassic Park. But the main focus on this trip is HP, both sides and the train, both ways. Plus, I want to thoroughly look through Hogwarts and Diagon Alley. That's my priority on this trip.

I know that Mears shuttle would be much cheaper but our family had such a bad experience with it back in 1994 that I am skeptical. (After that, we only did cabs but it was likely cheaper that way as there were 5 of us) If I only go to USF one day, I want to be there right at opening. Is it possible to take Mears just one way?

I am thinking that this may be my last trip to Disney, either for several years or maybe forever. There are some other destinations that are calling me and they are quite active trips.

If price is an issue and you want to try a new resort, I would go with either POP Century or Art of Animation...I have been on numerous solo trips and mostly stay at the value resorts because I know I am spending all of my time at the parks...I would consider this if I were you...even getting a king-bed, preferred room at Pop or AoA would be much less than a room at POFQ or POR...plus the money you save can go towards your Universal tix...but if you're only going to Universal for a Harry Potter fix, than one day is more than enough, especially if you head out 1st thing in the morning to Universal...Enjoy your trip!!!

The Disney Dork

I would love to stay at POR again but the Canadian dollar is not great and I will be paying for the whole room on my own. Something I am concerned about is the walking distances since I have arthritis in my feet and I am also prone to blisters despite wearing good runners and socks. Of course, the cheaper the room, the farther away the bus stops are. Any suggestions on which area to request at POP?

Going on your own is great fun so no worries there. I like to stay at Pop for solo trips for the value. You need to "splurge" for a preferred room. I like the 70s and usually request that section. I got stuck in the 50s once, but it was not bad. The disadvantage of a value is no on site restaurant- but since I never actually ate at the hotel restaurant, that was never an issue for me. Advantage of value, the transportation! The buses are so much better at values than at moderates or deluxes. Onto Harry Potter world, aka Universal... I did the hop to universal for a day the year HP opened. I went with the cab option. Now HP is in 2 different parks and there are advantages to staying on site at Universal. The Disboards has a section on Universal that can give you some info and help you decide what is best. Have a great trip!

My honey hates to travel as well and I love it so I take at least one solo trip a year to WDW, the other trip every year my grown son goes with me. I love my solo trips, to be honest almost prefer them. I like being able to come and go, see and do whatever I want whenever I want. I'll be 60 in April and have never had any problems in any of the resorts and have stayed at Pop, ASSp, POR, CSR, YC, BW solo. I'm not a fan of the value resorts and after the two tries won't stay in them again. I love the Epcot resorts since I love Epcot and HS so when I go solo I do split stays. Arrival night and the night after at a moderate than I move to a deluxe. Given the amount of days you have there you might think about maybe a value/moderate split or a moderate/Swan-Dolphin split. I can't say about Universal because we just aren't interested in it, we've tried it twice in the past but since our trips aren't centered around rides but more around the experience it just isn't for us. I don't think the amount of time you are planning is too long for a solo trip. A few days will be taken up with travel and it gives you time to maybe spend some time in the parks then do some exploring. I love to resort hop when I'm solo, I just go to the bus stop and hop on the first bus that arrives and explore that resort. You have to pick what level you want since the bus stops are arranged that way but I love it. Then when I'm done, I hop on the first park bus that arrives. I don't make FPs except night before or morning of since I'm never in any hurry to do anything when solo and don't mind waiting in stand by lines. I eat at TS restaurants all the time, I just have my kindle on my phone and after I've placed my order I read or just people watch.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter