Going "Home" for Thanksgiving!

I doubt that the food would be any different for Thanksgiving than it usually is, but one fun family activity might be to try the Whispering Canyon Cafe in the Wilderness Lodge. We had some of the most fun there as a family that we've ever had at WDW - the hijinks (I can't believe I'm using that word... next I'll be saying 'madcap'... ;) ) of the waiters are very funny - at one point they had the entire room, including my 65 year old parents and 70 yo FIL up on our feet doing an abbreviated version of the Hokey Pokey - if you haven't experienced it, I would definitely recommend it - and the food was actually very very good.

Definitely not the traditional Thanksgiving, but an extremely fun family experience nonetheless...

:bounce:

Thanks again guys for the advice! John could you elaborate on the offerings for dinner at Whispering Canyon? I've read trip reports that talk about how fun the hijinks (your word not mine :D ) are and my hubby loves a good hijink so I'm interested. I'm sorry I just could't resist. Anyway, if you can give me a clue as to what type of food WC serves, I'd appreciate it!

Lisa

In 1998, our last Thanksgiving trip, fourteen of us enjoyed the Thanksgiving Day buffet at the Grosvenor Resort in the Downtown Disney area.

I can't break away from the traditional dinner either. We've spent 2 T'days at OKW. The first time Disney contracted a caterer and the meal was wonderful. For 9 adults we got 2 turkeys and double sides of green breans, squash, gravy, mashed potatoes , stuffing, 2 apple pies and drinks! Delivered at a specific time and ready to eat. I don't know why they did away with it but last t'day we got a precooked meal from Publix, turkey, potatoes, gravy green beans sweet potatoes, relish which was very good but it had to be reheated. We don't go to the parks that day. The "ladies" leave the kids with the dads to watch football and the "ladies" go to DI for the spa treatment. That's the new tradition.

but I would be the only "lady" and I wouldn't want to do a spa treatment by myself! It sounds like your experience with the catered meal from DVC was much better than ours. We did it in '94 and it was fine. In '96 they didn't offer it, so I did the Goodings thing. When we went back in '98, we were thrilled that they offered it again but it turned out to be a huge disappointment. We were a group of 6 and they actually brought us a pie with 2 pieces cut out leaving 6 remaining....how unbelievably cheap is that! We weren't sure about the gratuity so we asked the servers if it was included. They assured us it was not, so we cash-tipped them generously---we felt bad they were working on a holiday. Wouldn't you know it when we got our room bill on checkout day, an additional 18% service had been added! After that, we decided never again. So unless someone comes up with a great idea, I'll be doing Goodings again this year.....
BTW, the Grosvenor buffet sounds nice, but I prefer to keep it somewhere on property as it makes it much easier for everyone to get to on their own.

I am sorry I started a new thread because I didn't see this one first. It is exactly what I was asking. Being the first time at WDW at Christmas this year with my family we want to have a sit down dinner in our 2 bedroom villa at BW on Christmas Day. Have heard about Goodings prepared a precooked/partially cooked turkey meal but would like to know more about it. What is included? How do you order it? Before you go? How is it delivered? when is it delivered? The day before or Christmas morning? Also has anyone ever had a Christmas Tree and presents in their villa and how did you go about that? I would like to surprise the kids with a tree and presents by setting it up after they go to bed. Has anyone ever done that?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter