Gluten free meals

disnemimi

Mimi to 6 Awesome Grandchildren
Need sit down restaurant recommendations for gluten free meals.
Thank you

Most restaurants at Disney do a great job with their gluten free menu. Last summer our favorite was Trattoria al Forno for breakfast and dinner. Most restaurants will have at least a steak or seafood option that is gluten free, Trattoria al Forno also had pizza, chicken parm, pasta, etc that were all gluten free.

I would avoid most restaurants in EPCOT's World Showcase as they aren't owned by Disney and don't have the same kitchen protocols. The Biergarten is one exception as they are owned by Disney and we've enjoyed many great gf meals there. Most restaurants in Disney Springs are also not Disney owned. The gluten free selections at Homecomin and Morimoto's are limited and seem like an after thought. You can often find the gf menus for sit-down restaurants on the My Disney Experience app, they are often listed after scrolling through drinks and kid's meals.

I would avoid most restaurants in EPCOT's World Showcase as they aren't owned by Disney and don't have the same kitchen protocols. The Biergarten is one exception as they are owned by Disney and we've enjoyed many great gf meals there.

How curious you've had that experience, as I've had lovely g-f/d-f meals at Tutto Italia, Chefs de France and Tokyo Dining.

Needing to avoid both gluten and dairy makes me more of a challenge. Maybe that I generally must have the "chef chat" is a factor? There rarely are more than a couple dishes on the allergy menu that are both g-f and d-f, usually salads. So, if I ordered off the menu, my options would be extremely limited.

How curious you've had that experience, as I've had lovely g-f/d-f meals at Tutto Italia, Chefs de France and Tokyo Dining.

Needing to avoid both gluten and dairy makes me more of a challenge. Maybe that I generally must have the "chef chat" is a factor? There rarely are more than a couple dishes on the allergy menu that are both g-f and d-f, usually salads. So, if I ordered off the menu, my options would be extremely limited.
DD is also gluten and dairy free along with a few other foods she needs to avoid. The EPCOT restaurants are notorious for accidentally 'glutening' guests. The servers and chefs in general are not as knowledgeable or accomodating regarding allergies as servers/chefs at Disney owned properties. Check out any Disney gf blog or food allergy facebook group and you will see the same info about those non-Disney restaurants over and over.

Huh. Had no idea.

Possibly I've had good experiences because I'm not celiac and can tolerate small amounts of gluten such as in soy sauce.

That's useful info you've given for those who must be more scrupulous than I need to be.

Here are our family’s top GF dining spots:

Liberty Tree Tavern
50s prime time
Brown Derby
Steakhouse 71
Nomad lounge at AK (GF churros 🥰)
Toppolinos
Grand Floridian Cafe
Sanaa
Trattoria Al Forno
Narcoossee
D-lux burger
Hangar bar
California Grille
Whispering Canyon
Skipper Cantina
Kona Cafe
GF Beignets at Port Orleans resort

We also stay away from the Epcot restaurants in the world showcase not owned by Disney and usually eat at the food festival booths that note GF options. We did have decent bbq sandwiches at regal eagle quick service in American pavilion.

DH has celiac disease, and besides all the places we've been to on princesscinderella's list has never had a problem at Ale and Compass, Tony's, Plaza (they had a nice chef who would come out and chat and would brown his GF rolls on the GF kitchen grill), or Rose and Crown. Also, Blaze Pizza at Springs has several GF crust choices, and a dedicated GF sauce container. Once his GF pizza slipped off its pan in the oven and the manager not only had them remake it but gave us a coupon for a free one on our next visit to compensate for the inconvenience.

I'll add my vote for Trattoria al Forno. I've had really good breakfasts and dinners there.

My husband has to eat GF & his favorite restaurant last trip was Liberty Tree Tavern. They had GF substitutes for everything on the platter, he loved getting GF stuffing & gravy since that’s rare to find in restaurants!

My husband has to eat GF & his favorite restaurant last trip was Liberty Tree Tavern. They had GF substitutes for everything on the platter, he loved getting GF stuffing & gravy since that’s rare to find in restaurants!
The GF roll at Liberty Tree is the best GF bread I've ever had 🤤

I appreciate the cautions given for EPCOT restaurants that are not Disney-owned but we've eaten there many times over 9 trips with our Celiac son, who is extremely sensitive to cross-contamination, and never had any issues.

His favorite restaurants (in order) are:

Skipper Canteen
San Angel Inn
50's Prime Time
Satu'li Canteen
Tutto Italia
Garden Grill
Coral Reef

I would echo the importance of speaking to a chef at each restaurant to both emphasize the sensitivity level (if Celiac) as well as discuss potential options outside of the allergy menu listing as there is usually flexibility.

Raglan Road in DS has(or had pre-Covid) GF onion rings and fish &chips that my son really liked,

I agree that Epcot restaurants can be iffy with allergies.

My favorites are:

Jungle Skipper Canteen
50s Prime Time (must get the allergy friendly fried chicken!!)
Narcoosee's
Raglan Road
The Boathouse
Frontera Cocina

Although not TS, Port Orleans French Quarter is worth the trip for Shrimp and Grits and GF Beignets --Delish :-)

Regarding the world showcase- a surprise great place for us was 9 dragons. I know being Chinese food that obviously shouldn't work, but they successfully made food for my son for years while he was anaphylactic to wheat, soy, eggs, plus a list of others. They would make him beef and broccoli.

He's also had great service at Biergarten.

One I haven't seen a lot in this thread is Mama Melrose- They have an amazing gluten-free roll.

I agree that Epcot restaurants can be iffy with allergies.

My favorites are:

Jungle Skipper Canteen
50s Prime Time (must get the allergy friendly fried chicken!!)
Narcoosee's
Raglan Road
The Boathouse
Frontera Cocina

Although not TS, Port Orleans French Quarter is worth the trip for Shrimp and Grits and GF Beignets --Delish :-)
Pre-covid, at least, 50's Prime Time also had a GF meatloaf that DH (celiac) loved.

One big reason we go to Disney is their gluten free options. However, just got back two days ago and was pretty disappointed this trip. Mama Melrose had very limited choices, and the food wasn’t good. San Angel Inn had two choices for entrees, we skipped it. No gluten free baked goods anywhere at parks or the Boardwalk where we stayed. Unable to confirm a lot of the liquor brands so most cocktails were out. Biggest disappointment was Raglan Road and Cookes had no gf breading, no fish and chips. Every place served the same boring brown dinner rolls, and Tusker House tried to serve them to me at breakfast and called two rolls and some jam a “selection of pastries” on the menu. I don’t think so. They scrounged up some cinnamon doughnuts when I complained. Best meal was Trattoria al Forno. Calamari was outstanding. Tony’s at MK had fabulous salmon and cheesy polenta. Of course Erin McKennas was really good, I bought a few days treats and took them back to the room. YMMV. good luck.

Regarding the world showcase- a surprise great place for us was 9 dragons. I know being Chinese food that obviously shouldn't work, but they successfully made food for my son for years while he was anaphylactic to wheat, soy, eggs, plus a list of others. They would make him beef and broccoli.

He's also had great service at Biergarten.

One I haven't seen a lot in this thread is Mama Melrose- They have an amazing gluten-free roll.
Just back and Mama Melrose just had boring brown dinner rolls. Nothing special, same as everywhere else. ☹️

Just saw this video and CRT customized a meal - beyond beef and gluten free pasta; AND Erin McKenna's donuts - probably not gluten free at Disneyworld because of a different flour used vs New York location (historically the options were dismal); the special diets team's response was that they will forward my info and I can check when at MK.

Topolinos (our son has milk egg cashew kiwi sesame allergies and he got juicy grilled chicken and pasta with marinara here):

Steakhouse 71

BOG

TIps
Terra Treats at AK was not open when we went in Nov (looks like they're open now 11-3 pm only)

Tripadvisor reviews Erin Mckenna (one review said some cross contamination (Celiacs beaware) (99% of people didn't have a reaction):

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUse...rin_McKenna_s_Bakery_NYC-Orlando_Florida.html

Last edited:
Just back and Mama Melrose just had boring brown dinner rolls. Nothing special, same as everywhere else. ☹
Were they gluten free and individually wrapped?
Maybe I was just excited because otherwise I hadn't had a dinner roll in months, but my son and I loved what we had - I think the brand was something like Bloomfield farms? It was a product that wasn't available to consumers but they made for Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter