Gluten free diet

eeyore65

DIS Veteran
I wasn't sure whether to post here or on disabilities board - but this get's more traffic. We are frequent disney visitor's but this trip we are bringing my MIL. She has been diagnosed with Celiac disease and needs a Gluten free diet. Any ideas on how to handle this?

We have PS's at CG (actually private dining in our room from there), Ohana, JIKO and CP for breakfast.

Anyone dealt with this or special requests before.

Thank you!:confused: :confused:

THANK YOU! This was so helpful...

I'm new to this disease and she is staying at my house and then off to Disney. This site was helpful for both.

Amazing that they can be so accomodating at such a big place.

I traveled to WDW with my sister in February. She is on a gluten free diet. The front desk at our resort gave her a number to call to talk with the head chef. We had PS at several places, and the head chef had each individual chef call her to discuss what she could eat. They were SO nice and helpful. Even better, when we got to each place, the chef came out in person to talk with her again as she ordered. Very impressive! She had no difficulty getting some wonderful meals in keeping with her diet needs.

The head chef also told her that every counter service is supposed to have gluten free items on hand for anyone who may walk up and ask for it. We did not put that to the test however. ;)

I'm sure your MIL will be able to dine without difficulty at WDW. Have a great time! :)

my DS has anaphylactic allergies to milk, eggs, and nuts.
We had a mixed experience on the last visit, right before and after Labor Day 2001.

By far our best experience was at Boma's. The head chef came out, personally walked us through the line, knew every ingredient, and made 2 very special desserts. (DS doesn't get dessert very often.)

Donald's Breakfastosaurus also went to a great deal of effort, and made him special pancakes.

ON the other side of the coin, on this trip, Crystal Palace did not have their act together, gave erroneous information about the potatoes, and suggested buying a popsicle on the street for dessert (we had requested they rustle up some sorbet), did not offer to sub or special prepare anything (we had requested a plain baked potato). We would have left, but the 5 yo DD had been adopted by Tigger.

Ohanas was another disaster, with the waitress (refuse to call her a CM) who was unaware that sherbet contains milk, was irritated that we interrupted her hurried spiel to question the ingredients and was actively hostile about bringing out a chef, who was also irritated. They suggested that Ohanas might not be the place for us.

Hollywood and Vine had no record we were coming with allergies, even though I'd talked to them twice.

I had done everything correctly, in terms of calling ahead, staying onsite and checking in again a day ahead. We had always had a wonderful food allergy experience before. But my advice is to follow all the advice about advance warning--but be prepared to be assertive, to check ingredients yourself if necessary, and to follow up with feedback if they don't have a record of you.

We will be back this august, and I'm anxious to see if these glitches have been ironed out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter