Give Kids the World Village's Night of A Million Lights is returning!

ChanaC

DIS Veteran
Give Kids the World's Night of a Million Lights is returning!

I wasn't in Orlando last year, but it looked like a great event! For those who don't know, it's the only time GKTW opened its doors for visitors. They deck nearly every building in holiday lights, many with really cool themes. Last year they had snacks, hot chocolate, ice cream, rides, and a distanced visit with Santa. If anyone misses the Osbourne Lights at Hollywood Studios this is probably the closest you will get in Orlando. Plus, all the money raised goes back to the village.

This year it looks like they are adding a tram ride and a dancing lights show, plus some upcharged events like dessert parties and VIP tours. It looks like guests will now be restricted to some areas and not allowed on the rides, but that makes sense since they are now reopened to wish families and they will need their space and privacy. I believe they only reopened to wish families this February.

For those who don't know what GKTW is the nonprofit resort where wish children and their families from organizations like Make-A-Wish stay when they wish to visit Disney and the Orlando theme parks. They stay for a week and get their own 2-3 bedroom villa, transportation, theme park tickets, and meals (including unlimited ice cream, which is also served during breakfast). The village has an arcade, mini golf, four rides, a movie theater, a swimming pool, a splash pad, horseback riding, fishing, character meet and greets, a playground, a kid spa, and so much more, plus some kind of party or event every night. Really, it's everything a kid could ever want to do on their vacation, which is especially important for kids who miss out on so much because of an illness.

https://www.gktw.org/lights/index.php

I attended and had a lot of fun. Glad to hear they will offer a tram service because a lot of walking and it seemed some elderly were not prepared for the size of this Village.
I hope you take the time to visit and provide support for this organization

Our family went during the beginning of our Thanksgiving Break and had an amazing time. The Village was bigger than we expected and the lights were AMAZING! Definitely wear comfortable walking shoes and plan to get in the holiday spirit.

How early do the dates start to sell out? I want to wait until closer to see when Ds goes to sleep

Looks beautiful !

For those who have been before, do you recall how wheelchair-friendly the walking paths were? I'll be on my own, but I have a power wheelchair so distance shouldn't be an issue. However, steep paths (> 25 degrees) or paths that have a sideways slope (across the path from left to right or vice versa) can be problematic.

Can anybody speak to the tram tour and whether it can hold a wheelchair? I can fold it closed if needed, but it still takes up more space than your standard manual wheelchair.

Since it's GKTW, I'm guessing their property is probably pretty wheelchair-friendly, but I wanted to check since I've never been there before.

Looks beautiful !

For those who have been before, do you recall how wheelchair-friendly the walking paths were? I'll be on my own, but I have a power wheelchair so distance shouldn't be an issue. However, steep paths (> 25 degrees) or paths that have a sideways slope (across the path from left to right or vice versa) can be problematic.

Can anybody speak to the tram tour and whether it can hold a wheelchair? I can fold it closed if needed, but it still takes up more space than your standard manual wheelchair.

Since it's GKTW, I'm guessing their property is probably pretty wheelchair-friendly, but I wanted to check since I've never been there before.

I've volunteered there before but haven't gone to this event. I'm almost positive that you will be fine in your chair. They make a real effort to make sure every venue and attraction is wheelchair friendly. From my memory, the whole property was pretty flat with no step walkways. There are some areas with roads and sidewalks but they are well maintained and they have ramps.

The tram tour appears to be new this year. I know there is a tram that the wish families use which can take them around the village and that had a wheelchair car. I'm not sure what they are planning on using for this event, so it might be worth calling or emailing them to double check. For what it's worth, it appears this event will have less walking and will use a tram tour instead for some parts because they want to restrict some of the areas guests can wander around because the village will have families staying in the villas during this event.

I recall it as being very flat… but dark in some areas and it seems like one area was kinda dead end so had to retreat the same way… You don’t realize how much walking in until it is time to walk out and then it becomes apparent…I wonder how many trams will be running. At least 3 ?… Departing arriving and boarding

We went last year with some friends... It was such a fun night, walking around seeing all the lights, and the themes were so cute.. It was a nice way to spend the evening. Helping these families create some lasting memories is truly an honor to have helped out in a small way.

I love the idea of the trams taking everyone around to see the lights.

We will be going for sure again this year...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter