Girls Only Fabulous Food & Wine Fiesta Trip Report - COMPLETED...

Oh my GOD, I can't believe you've got 6 holidays booked! I am seriously jealous, you better make it up to me and write more of your trip report quicly :)

Blimey Karen, I've only just got over your last report ;) How lovely to have a girly holiday and how lucky to get a free upgrade, I can't wait to read some more :thumbsup2

Karen, where's Day 2? I'm waiting with baited breath.popcorn::

Sorry Eva! :goodvibes Had to confer with DD about the trip and she's been away on business... Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know - excuses, excuses!!! ;)

Without further ado
May I bring to you...

...DAY NUMBER TWO!!!

I opened my eyes before Stitch had a chance to make his wake-up call and that felt good - sometimes I find it's the small victories that count . Sophie draped a robe over her PJs and headed, like the dutiful daughter that she is, to the concierge lounge for that early morning essential - coffee! After a couple of gallons, we (I) decided she should have the first shower and off she went. I performed other essential preparatory 'getting ready' work and waited my turn...

We had something special planned this morning and had to be in EPCOT bright and early. For today, dear readers, we were going Around the World - On a SEGWAY!!! OK so you've seen those things, right? Some of you may have had a go and some of you may have been run over by them. I now have the dubious honour of belonging to both categories... :rolleyes:

For those of you unfamiliar with the Segway, it looks like a precarious platform on two large wheels with a long steering column and handlebars. When it transpired earlier in the year that my DD nursed a burning desire to break this beast, I confess to being a little sceptical. As a rule, Sophie doesn't have much luck mastering wheel-based modes of transport. Failing her cycling proficiency at eleven years old set the tone and, despite her most valiant efforts, she is yet to pass her driving test. So I wasn't sure how well she'd work with the wobbliest wheels around! I needn't have worried! She took to the training like a duck to water and speedily subjugated the Segway! In fact, you could say she was a chariot champion who mastered that machine and bossed that buggy!!!

54DA6D34-328D-4A59-9968-5806B848881.jpg

Yes!!! I, on the other hand, found getting on and off quite tricky but after a few goes really began to enjoy myself! And I looked such a babe in the safety helmet...

3ACD677F-6E4D-49A1-A232-DB5D31DF170.jpg

After our indoor training was complete, we were off to wander the World - Showcase that is! For much of the time, the area was empty of guests as it doesn't open until 11am and we had chance to cruise the countries picking up top tips and tid-bits along the way! One of the highlights occurred when a number of character entered the empty section of EPCOT and began practising a dance routine nearby! Here they are over my shoulder...

0B2C87A8-5F0B-4D3B-9B12-B1E3FE65F0B.jpg

Two cast members took our group through EPCOT. And one of them, a young Canadian chap took quite a shine - to me! There he was, bless him, performing all manner of testing two-wheeled tricks for my benefit as he persistently engaged me in conversation throughout the tour. I don't know what I was giving off on this vacation - first Ignacio and now my Segway suitor! He was such a sweetie, and when he asked if I'd come up and see him sometime, I didn't have the heart to let him down but promised I'd pop in later in the week - unfortunately we didn't get time... Still, a fantastic time was had by all and we totally recommend this excursion to everyone! In fact, we're intending to do the alternative Segway tour available in Fort Wilderness next May - can't wait...

4B0C1D9E-D173-44B8-8E6A-F74522CF9A4.jpg

Once the tour was over, we made a beeline for the Food & Wine festival and our first drink of the day! A champagne stall called to us by name and we each had a glass (the first of many) of the most delicious Moet and Chandon Nectar Imperial Rose! This was an absolute stunning rose and despite our best efforts, have been unable to track it down in the UK... Hmmm anyway, after a little shopping, we moved on through to Mexico and our first ride of the vacation - "Gran Fiesta Tour Starring the Three Caballeros!" We love Mexico and decided to use our first table service credit at the San Angel Inn. We checked whether they had space for us and were duly seated in a few minutes! We had a great meal in the fab location - love the decor...

7A322355-F92E-461B-8A0A-41B7828DA6C.jpg

B3DF58CB-E7AD-4543-B5C2-E467022C8D8.jpg

...and enjoyed a mellow Margarita...

DABF127C-00CF-4101-B6AC-1B323083BDC.jpg

...before finishing up, moving on and leaving the dark interior of the replica Aztec Temple of Quetzalcoatl, came out blinking in the sunlight! Next up Norway and Sophie's favourite ride, the Maelstrom! Our final port of call in today's whistle stop tour of the World, was China and we spent a long time soaking up the atmosphere. I visited this captivating country with a girlfriend back in 2000 and the Reflections of China movie was a wonderful reminder of my visit. We spent ages browsing in the vast shopping area before checking the time and realising we now needed to hurry back to the Yacht Club and freshen up before returning for the Party for the Senses event in the World ShowPlace!

We changed into slightly dressier outfits and returned to Epcot where a steady queue had formed outside the World ShowPlace (located in World Showcase between the United Kingdom and Canada pavilions) as people were being checked in by Cast Members and receiving a wristband, an event programme, a souvenir glass and notched plate for the evening. The queue moved swiftly and we were soon inside the vast venue, trying to get our bearings and make sense of the layout. We decided to try and grab a table but this proved quite tough. Eventually, I spotted an empty table for four which seemed to be ignored as it was very close to some smoky cooking action. Sophie and I took possession and gradually edged the table away from the source of the problem - sneaky eh? With our base established, we decided to take turns to forage for food and sniff out a a snifter... or two!

The event was extremely busy and the enormous array of tasty treats quite daunting! After perusing the programme, we decided to concentrate on two or three of the colour-coded cooking zones and proceeded to pink up our preferred portions... I will add here which mouthwatering morsels Sophie and I munched on when she passes on the programme...

There was music and entertainment at intervals throughout the event - part of which was supplied by Cirque du Soleil's La Nouba performers and, as I've not yet had the opportunity to see the show, I was happy to experience the this taster. All in all, we had a great time tho' agreed that it would've been enhanced by the company of our respective menfolk - both of them love food and wine (not necessarily in that order) and I think it's definitely a case of the more the merrier!

As it was, we left the Party feeling rather stuffed and decidedly squiffy! Placing our souvenir glass in a complementary bag...

IMGP1203.jpg

...we ambled back through the World to that convenient rear EPCOT exit and returned to the hotel. We were just in time to nab a nightcap from the concierge lounge before getting ready for bed and slipping swiftly to sleep...

The segway tour sounds great and the attention of 2 men so far hey :rotfl2:

The party sounds fun too :thumbsup2

After coffee and concierge offerings, we got ready to hit Epcot again - we love it so much we couldn't keep away and headed for Future World. Today we had two objectives - Test Track and Soarin'! We picked up a couple of FastPasses for TT before lining up for Soarin'. Little did we know it, but we were in for one l-o-n-g wait. Fortunately, we were behind a family from Montreal and their enchanting little boys! They were unbelievably cute and it was their first time at WDW so lovely to see their pleasure. We played the interactive games together as we waited and finally we made to the front of the line. We were very happy to be in the front row and the ride experience felt even better than usual! We bid our Canadian friends goodbye and a wonderful trip before making our way to Test Track! The ride seemed faster than I recalled and we had fun posing in the vehicles as we passed thro' the after-ride arena... Yo! Check me out in my Hummer!

D2B4F56C-B146-45D8-82B6-BF281E5230B.jpg

My tum was a-rumbling by now so we stopped at the Electric Umbrella for some counter service cuisine! With stomachs satisfied, our feet led us in the direction of the wonderful champagne stall for another couple of flutes of fizzy pink nectar! We loved that stuff!!! Anyway, time to pick up the reins of our round the World tour and we jogged along to Germany! I've never spent much time here before and to my surprise I loved all the glass-making - especially the jewellery! We decided to taste a glass of German wine as we browsed the store and watched a Cast Member make Sophie her own individual pair of decorative glass bead earrings to complete the set of jewellery I bought her for Christmas!

Italy was up next and we had sooo much fun in the perfume store. In fact, as I finally found my long-looked for Signature Scent, I am now a fully paid-up member of the fairer sex! This has been a source of stress for me ever since I discovered, from the magazines I browse through in the hairdressers, I am a pathetically poor specimen of modern womanhood as I don't have a perfume that typifies me! I know, it's a shock! Embarrassed by this harsh assessment, I've been searching, but finding a fragrance that says "Kaz" as much as a Yankee Candle tart has proved tough! So imagine my delight when I discovered the Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo range - specifically, a very warm, deep vanilla and almond scent called Mandorlo di Sicilia! Oh my! It's gorgeous and from now on I shall do my utmost to smell like a delicious dessert! Think Creme Brulee with a handbag...

Mmm, anyway, liberally doused in my new acquisition, I smelt sooo flippin' good there was only one thing to do next - chocolate and wine tasting at La Bottega! Sophie and I enjoyed a delicious glass of Rosa Regale Brachetto d'Acqui, a deep red sparkling wine and Pernigotti black chocolates from Piemonte, Italy... YUMMY really doesn't cover it, believe me! And rest assured, a magnum bottle is returning with me in my suitcase when I next visit EPCOT!

Eventually, we strolled around to the American Adventure and enjoyed the pre-show in the Lobby...

C13BA54A-3EAA-4033-8B40-56EF8E164D0.jpg

25CCA4FF-524D-414B-B526-F13624E9DAE.jpg

...before settling down in the comfortable theatre for the attraction. Mmmm... I've never seen this before and found it a little schmaltzy for my buttoned-up Brit background but it was beautifully done and everyone clearly enjoyed the amazing animatronics...

We left the AA and headed for the Oriental oasis that is... Japan! Cue more boutique browsing. Sophie checked out the clothing while I spent at least ten minutes ogling the gorgeous high price Akoya pearls - those beauties were calling me but not even a superstar spender of my standard enjoying a favourable exchange rate could countenance that kind of cash. I regretfully left the jewels behind and stepped outside.Time to enjoy the beautiful Japanese garden - such a peaceful haven away from the crowds, it's worth spending a few minutes chilling here...

By now we were a little weary so opted to continue our tour of the World Showcase another day and trekked back to our lovely room to rest before dinner. We chatted about our day before getting ready for our evening. On the way out, we stopped at the concierge lounge for a generous glass of white zinfandel before heading back into EPCOT and the United Kingdom pavilion! I'm going to be honest and say I have never spent any time in the UK area before. I think it looks beautifully done but it kind a feels like a busmans holiday so it's always been an area we've walked through on our way to somewhere else. We were here tonight for one reason - the view from the Rose and Crown dining room was rated one of the best in EPCOT to see Illuminations! As this was our first time (Can you believe that!? We've been coming to WDW for 15 years!) we wanted to maximise our pyrotechnic pleasure so dinner at the R&C was inevitable. We checked in and waited a short time for the table to be ready. Unfortunately, there was no room on the terrace but our server promised to take us outside onto the viewing area in time for the display so we weren't too fussed. We were more puzzled by the peculiar aroma that permeated the dining room. We even asked to move from our original table as we found this weird stench so off-putting. Sadly, even at our new table, we kept getting a whiff of ...er... was that really... vinegar!???! Oh yes! There was no getting away from it, the dining room smelt like a pickle factory and if we wanted to see those fireworks, we just had to deal with it. Through watering eyes we scanned the menu and made our choices...

417B2DFD-4E2A-49A7-AC1C-F0A396A2AAE.jpg

I was relieved to see there was fizzy stuff by the glass so buried my nose in the flute and inhaled the vinegar-free bouquet! It was one of those evenings bordering on the surreal. The food was really good and the staff friendly but when the mother from a nearby American family leant across and asked me quietly if all pubs in the UK smelt like this, I didn't know whether to laugh or cry! I have but one rule in my life, "when in doubt, order another glass of sparkling wine" and so I did! Which cheered me up no end...

6F97BF77-72A6-475C-85EA-A8D0A4B287F.jpg

Soon we were ushered outside and Illuminations - Reflections of Earth began...

It was awesome and we both loved it! The view from R&C's terrace was unbeatable and what do a few scorched nose hairs matter when you're enjoying such a spectacle?!

IMG_0100.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

IMG_0067.jpg

When Illuminations finished, we returned to the restaurant and ordered dessert. We also took some artistic photos for our vinegar bottle scrapbook...

B10E02E6-09CE-4182-946D-9533134FA06.jpg

3EE0C4C8-E498-423F-8C10-FA3370ECB0A.jpg

0C55894C-5EA2-4579-A5CE-38E22FE7534.jpg

....Before returning to the delightful Yacht Club and it's less onerous odour...

OMG so funny, do all English pubs smell like this !! another great day Karen, a great way to drown out the vinegar, sniff the vino.

I find sniffing the vino drowns out so much of life's unpleasantries, Jules... ;) :thumbsup2 :rotfl:

we should make it our motto in life, instead of slow down and smell the roses, chill out and sniff the vino

we got ready to hit Epcot again - we love it so much we couldn't keep away

That is how I feel too Karen, if I could only visit one park while in WDW, it would be Epcot (well you can't get a drink in the Magic Kingdom can you :rotfl: :rotfl: )

We woke a little later this morning and only just managed to grab our customary coffee from concierge lounge before the door was closed and the breakfast buffet cleared away. Once the caffeine fix started to flow, we quickly got ready and decided to make our first visit to Downtown Disney. We sat outside in the sun and waited for the bus which didn't take too long and soon we were chugging along on the familiar roads.

We disembarked at the Marketplace end of DTD and headed straight for the Disney's Days of Christmas emporium. Now Sophie and I lurve this shop! We're both a couple of Christmas crackpots, festive freaks and advent addicts!!! Snow there! Mmm, anyway, we spent our usual hour or two browsing the baubles and adding trimmings to our trolley before realising that we were unbelievably hungry. In fact, we were in imminent danger of passing out! We hurried to the checkout where a couple of trainee cast members took so long to pack up our purchases, I nearly barged them out of the way and took over myself. Which isn't very Disney. So I contented myself with the odd grimace at the enormous queue which had built up behind us and began to mentally go through our dining options at this time...

Eventually, our goods were wrapped and, giddy with relief, I proffered my KTTK. The CM looked confused and glanced desperately at her partner in ineptitude. Two people behind us abandoned all hope and left the queue in despair at this point! I really couldn't stand anymore so dug deep, pulled out my wad of dollars and slapped the requisite amount on the counter! Fortunately that part of the transaction went slightly quicker and we were free to leave!

Once outside, we gulped fresh air deep into our lungs and raised our faces to the sun - it sure felt good to be released! Reminding ourselves that we hadn't actually just escaped from Alcatraz, I quickly listed our dining options and we opted to try the Wolfgang Puck Express! I still felt exhausted after our trials in the Christmas shop and was relieved to sit down and wait for our food choices to be brought to our table... My rotisserie chicken was delicious and it wasn't too long before we felt rejuvenated enough to want to continue our expedition!

We checked out Art of Disney, the Wonderful World of Memories and the Pin Traders stall in rapid succession before discovering an 'Everything $10 Dollars and Under' store which distracted us for the best part of half an hour... But these had just been a bunch of minor features leading up to the main event, known to you and I as (cue drum roll) the World of Disney!!! Time to flex our credit cards and limber up for some serious shopping. I started with some stretches in the Pirate section before moving onto a full-blown raid on the store...

...Some time later, we paused to rest and leant panting up the wristwatch counter! We both tried on a couple of watches - I loved a metallic aubergine-coloured Skagen one but, for now, we were all shopped out and decided to head back to the Yacht Club for a brief respite...

It was now later than we thought and, as we lay back on our beds in the room, we realised that we didn't have a hope of making our Liberty Tree Tavern reservation! No rest for the wicked though, so we pulled ourselves together and got ready for Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party! We weren't dressing up but had a few spooky items to add to our outfits so were soon good to go! As we'd missed our dinner reservation, we decided to head for one of the Magic Kingdom resorts and eat there. Strolling through EPCOT to the Monorail, we were struck by the intensity of the crowds! Today was Columbus Day and the I'm not sure if this had an impact on the crowd level but it was definitely as busy as I'd ever seen it... A monorail soon arrived so we boarded and glided towards the Magic Kingdom. After disembarking at the Ticket and Transportation Centre, Sophie and I walked over to the Polynesian - one of our favourite resorts. The vague plan had been to eat at Kona Cafe but unfortunately the wait time was over an hour! So, spotting a resort Monorail arrive at the station, we beetled off to the Grand Floridian Resort instead. It felt good to re-visit this fabulous resort - the smell was so familiar! We opted to try for a table at the Grand Floridian Cafe and had a short wait which we spent in the nearby gift shop...

Before long, our pager went off and we were shown to our table.

66436ABC-C556-4D61-826C-4BC7A935A19.jpg

Without further ado, I ordered a glass of the delicious Banfi Rosa Regale Brachetto d'Acqui that I'd previously tried in Italy. Cheers!

1E313D16-7639-4D9C-BF17-25149A1BB1A.jpg

Meanwhile, Sophie ordered a Glowtini!

F7278E03-6B02-4CCB-A90E-829DBB81138.jpg

The Glowtini is a cocktail inspired by the Year of a Million Dreams celebration at Walt Disney World. Served at restaurants all over Disney World, it consists of Skyy Citrus Vodka, Blue Curacao, peach schnapps, Sweet-N-Sour, and pineapple juice garnished with a souvenir glow cube. It tasted very nice and looked sensational!

6EEC8EDE-283D-4F4C-B460-C01DCE4CF95.jpg

Our meal was fabulous - this was one of our fave dining experiences this visit! And excellent value with the Disney Dining Plan...

But no time to linger! We had an appointment with the Mouse so decided to catch the Friendship over to the Magic Kingdom. We arrived just in time to see the special HalloWishes firework display - which was amazing!!!

F84C360E-2B5D-491E-ACC3-9B9DAE694F2.jpg

C592DFF9-5792-4B19-B0FD-6FD6DBD1937.jpg

Once inside, we collected our Trick or Treat bags and set about filling them! In between getting some serious ride action of course! Space Mountain, Monsters Inc Laughter Floor, Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin...

1E3CEBA0-DBA4-44F6-9FB5-07C2E00B738.jpg

I hooked up with quite a guy!

A335857A-5DFD-45DF-A89C-F1C55C3715D.jpg

And pursued another...

C047508B-99AD-42CE-B30F-161C371460D.jpg

Before heading over to the centre of all spookiness - the Haunted Mansion!!!
F35B8BC0-4854-4BB3-A869-6037D19EF1C.jpg

We had a fantastic time and, had our schedule allowed it, would have bought another couple of tickets for later in the week! As it was, we decided we definitely had to return in the future with the rest of the family. Now it was time to totter on our tired legs back to the resort bus stop and head bedwards... Good night!

I so no what you mean about the Christmas Shop, I love it in there, but whilst I am queuing or waiting while they pack the ornaments, the margarita bar opposite starts a calling me and I normally get the sweats on, it is a nightmare

:thumbsup2 for glowtini . excellent report. your zest for food and beverages of the alcohol variety is inspirational :cool1: Very good piccies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter