Giraffe ready to give birth (live cam)

Oliver isn't there in the role of supportive dad. Im guessing, he's just her "pasture buddy" and/or "stall mate".

I have to wonder then, if there is no attachment to her, why is he in the next stall? What exactly is the point?

They are herd animals and like having other animals around. It's not that there's no attachment to her at all; it's that they aren't "husbands/fathers" like other animals that mate for life and have the fathers help raise the young.

I wonder if they think something may happen tonight. The last few nights it's been lights out by now, but lights are still on.

I read an update from the park saying she isn't even in labor yet. They just said ready to have the baby soon and the media spun it. She's just close to her due date and therefore the staff is on 24/7 call.

I read an update from the park saying she isn't even in labor yet. They just said ready to have the baby soon and the media spun it. She's just close to her due date and therefore the staff is on 24/7 call.

I had read she is past due. She was due mid-Feb.

You can definitely see increased movement in the baby. She is also twitching arounf the top of her tail once in a while.

One article I read called April a cougar. Oliver is only 5! April is 15! I think this will be her fourth calf, wonder if she has 4 different baby daddy's.

It's very likely. Zoos participate in breeding programs to maximize diversity. If an animal's genes are already well-represented, their offspring are of no use as far as species conservation. Here in the US, they avoid too many offspring with the same genetics by transferring animals to other zoos or by using contraceptives. For girafffes, it's easier to move the bulls since females normally are accustomed to herds but males are solitary. If not transferred, males have been known to breed with their own daughters, leading to inbreeding.

Nothing overnight. She seems content, but how much longer? Waiting for a morning update.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter