Giraffe ready to give birth (live cam)

I left the live feed on on my phone while I went to use the bathroom. Dh watched while I was gone and when I came back he said it was like watching grass grow.

I left the live feed on on my phone while I went to use the bathroom. Dh watched while I was gone and when I came back he said it was like watching grass grow.

So true!! She is just walking around, eating etc. Same as the last three days. A whole lotta nothing. LOL! I read that you will not know a giraffe is in labor until you start seeing the baby. I guess it's a natural defense mechanism because in the wild, if predators know she is in labor they will wait to hunt the baby once it's born. The reports keep saying she is getting closer, but looking at her you would never know.

Two words - Cheddar Vision.

Here is an update on April from the facebook page

2/26 Morning Report:

#GiraffeWatch2017 continues.
April is alert and attentive to her keepers, she shows no signs of discomfort. You will notice on our live feed, a lot of positioning in her hips, belly movements, and stutter stepping. This could be attributed to significant movement of the calf inside...baby is big! Calves are on average, 6' tall and 150# upon birth.

An extreme temperature drop and wet/frozen conditions will keep the giraffes inside today. Rest assured, they receive extra enrichment and extra attention on days they do not venture out. A little extra bonding time! Tomorrow will bring warmer temps and some yard time again!

Please remember - we will not announce active labor until calf hooves are visible. Naturally, giraffes hide signs of labor - as to not alert every predator around, that they and a new calf will be vulnerable to attack. However, once we are final stages of the labor - the process is quick. Visible hooves- to - calf on the ground, can be as short as 30 minutes!

To dispel rumors and #fakenews,April is happy and healthy, she has not yet had her calf, there has never been a stillborn calf in her history, and last but not least - we do not know if, how, or when, she will EVER lay an EGG! (joke and mention for #teamegg)

i came on to post this. Love the humor!

Here is an update on April from the facebook page

2/26 Morning Report:

#GiraffeWatch2017 continues.
April is alert and attentive to her keepers, she shows no signs of discomfort. You will notice on our live feed, a lot of positioning in her hips, belly movements, and stutter stepping. This could be attributed to significant movement of the calf inside...baby is big! Calves are on average, 6' tall and 150# upon birth.

An extreme temperature drop and wet/frozen conditions will keep the giraffes inside today. Rest assured, they receive extra enrichment and extra attention on days they do not venture out. A little extra bonding time! Tomorrow will bring warmer temps and some yard time again!

Please remember - we will not announce active labor until calf hooves are visible. Naturally, giraffes hide signs of labor - as to not alert every predator around, that they and a new calf will be vulnerable to attack. However, once we are final stages of the labor - the process is quick. Visible hooves- to - calf on the ground, can be as short as 30 minutes!

To dispel rumors and #fakenews,April is happy and healthy, she has not yet had her calf, there has never been a stillborn calf in her history, and last but not least - we do not know if, how, or when, she will EVER lay an EGG! (joke and mention for #teamegg)

So true!! She is just walking around, eating etc. Same as the last three days. A whole lotta nothing. LOL! I read that you will not know a giraffe is in labor until you start seeing the baby. I guess it's a natural defense mechanism because in the wild, if predators know she is in labor they will wait to hunt the baby once it's born. The reports keep saying she is getting closer, but looking at her you would never know.

Oh yes, that's what I told dh and some other facts that I had read. He was like, "eh, just tell me when it's out."

Oh yes, that's what I told dh and some other facts that I had read. He was like, "eh, just tell me when it's out."

My husband keeps saying, "They're recording it. You'll be able to see it after it happens, so why do you have to keep watching."

My husband keeps saying, "They're recording it. You'll be able to see it after it happens, so why do you have to keep watching."

I keep saying this to myself, but I can't stop! I have to keep checking in, but its the same thing. April pacing around, April pausing to get something to eat, April looking at Oliver, April goes potty.... lather, rinse, repeat.

There was some humor earlier. Did anyone see? Oliver gets let into her pen so they can clean his. Well, when it was time to go back he didn't want to go. So April helped by walking over to his door and he followed. She kept trying. Even walked in to his own with him following. She tried running out but he was too quick for the door guy. She tried again a few minutes later and it worked. Oliver was tricked back into his pen. Lol.

Well, it was something interesting on a boring Sunday morning. ;)

I keep saying this to myself, but I can't stop! I have to keep checking in, but its the same thing. April pacing around, April pausing to get something to eat, April looking at Oliver, April goes potty.... lather, rinse, repeat.

I'm the same way, I have to keep checking!

I'm the queen of DVRing, pausing Live TV and hitting the back button all the time while watching TV but I sit forever watching Ms. Giraffe go back and forth in her space on live live live webcam!!!! :crazy:

LIVE CHAT ANNOUNCEMENT:

Today, 2/26, we will host a LIVE chat session on our youtube live feed page from 6 pm - 7 pm EST. This chat will have keepers and ownership involved and try to answer the many questions that you may have.

Join us on our Live Link (attached to this post) to take part. To weed out the nonsense, trolls, etc, this will be a Super Chat Session.

You will only be able to comment every 120 seconds. Though not required, those making contributions to the park through chat comment, will have their questions featured - as they will be highlighted and more track-able. This is a secure way to donate and/or get a question through for answer. We are no longer able to answer all emails due to sheer volume.

Join us!

Is is ok that I left the link in there? I'm not sure of the rules.

Last edited:
I'm not a mod in this forum, just a reader

I'm waiting for baby G to arrive like the rest of the followers

If someone is posting asking for donations, it has to be okayed and cleared by the webmaster

Run your question to a mod who covers this forum, for that

I have not clicked on the chat so have no idea if it is solicitation

I'll be checking in to see if baby G comes tonight while watching Walking Dead

My two loves
Zombies and giraffes....

I think her belly looks different this morning, lower down maybe, something has changed. Maybe we will see the little (6'!) one today!

Is Oliver in the pen next to her's? I feel sorry for her this morning. I think she wants to be outside like the giraffe in the next pen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter