Gingerpeach's Zen of Healthy Living, or the Journey through Life

gingerpeach

Earning My Ears
One of my favorite sayings is "Success is a Journey, not a Destination". I believe that healthy living is the same thing. It is an everyday journey, not a specific destination, such as a certain weight or clothing size. I have ignored my health and weight for several years, and know that I can not continue that way without longterm consequences. I am motiviated to change my behaviors and lifestyle, and want to enjoy it while I'm doing it.

I've read on Wishes and other places that journaling is one of the keys to success for weight loss and life fitness goals. I also read in Wishes about Sparkpeople and signed up. I will keep my daily logs privately there, and summarize the week here, using a standard set of questions. I'll also post my reflections and discoveries as I go along.

WEEK 1 of the Rest of my Life

WEIGHT LOSS GOALS
Weekly Weigh-in: 145 lbs
Start weight on October 5, 2007: 148.5 lbs
Pounds lost or gained this week: 3.5
Total lost: 3.5

EXERCISE GOALS:
Exercised 5 or more times: 6 out of 7
Saturday: Walked 1 mile
Sunday: Walked 1.5 miles
Monday: Walked 1 mile
Tuesday: 10 min. Abs DVD workout & stretch
Wednesday: Walked .5 miles
Thursday: Walked .5 miles
Friday
Tried new routine or DVD? Not yet, but received several I ordered. Will review when I try them

NUTRITION GOALS:
Drank enough water every day? 3 out of 7
Ate fresh produce every day? 5 out of 7
Ate right amount of calories every day? DK
Avoided migraine triggers? Ate some salad dressings (vinegar), chinese food w/ sauce (vinegar?), Taco Bell (cheese, sauce)
Number of times eating out: x6
Dessert indulgences: x1 Pumpkin Cheesecake slice. But split it with DH and ate it for breakfast
Fried food indulgences: x1 Fried Mozzorella Sticks
Best food or meal: Saturday: Soup at the Dockside restaurant in Coeur D' Alene after walking around the Boardwalk at the C'dA Resort

HEALTH & WELL-BEING:
Number of Migraines this week: 2
Possible triggers: PMS, Lack of sleep, Salad Dressing
Digestive health: Good
Vitamins: Didn't take
Prescriptions: Haven't taken routinely, trying to get back on track
General health: Good
Mental health: Had a full-blown anxiety attack this week (was in heavy PMS stage)
Sleep: one night up all night worrying, other nights ranged from 3 hours to 8 hours
DR / DDS: Up to date on DDS. Behind on mammogram, yearly pap smear, labwork for cholestrol, eye exam
What made me anxious? New project assignment with tight deadlines at work
What made me feel good? Trip to Spokane & C'dA, DS2's Scout Court of Honor

SPIRITUAL & DEVELOPMENTAL
Bible study: 0 of 7
Church: none this week
Prayer: Praying for FIL Health, DS2 Efforts at School, Friends' Health (MS, JL's wife)
Volunteering: Committee meeting for Organization 1, trade show coming up and I'm organizing/managing the booth. 1 hour each day on trade show work.
Learning Something New: Not for fun, but for work. Learning new assignment

HOME & FAMILY
Time with DH: Trip to Spokane last weekend, dinner out alone one night this week. Working on same project at work, so we've made a deal. No talking about work during dinner time. 1st one to talk about work has to pay a dollar. I lost the first time. No talking about work during dinner since then.
Time with DS1 (20 yr old, out of house): None this week
Time with DS2 (16 yr old): Scout Court of Honor, shopping this weekend, good talks about school
Time with other family members: None this week
Number of family meals: 1
Housekeeping/Yard #1 Goal next week: Put away summer clothes, put out winter clothes, pull out what doesn't fit and give away
Last week’s goal met? didn't set one
Finance / Paperwork Goal next week: reduce mail clutter, reduce eating out
Last week’s goal met? Reduce % of company stock in 401K - yes, transfered some to other funds
Shopping Goal: new black pants/skirt and white shirt
Last week’s goal met? didn't set one
Things I bought on impulse: Amazon: Expensive sets of Disney park and movie music CDs (but at least it is Disney!) and 4 Exercise DVDs (before I saw that I could find them at Netflix)

RELAXATION & FUN
Hobby Time: None
Reading: None
Best TV show or Movie of the week: Wild Hogs (we love motorcycles!)
Outdoor Activities: None
Vacation / Planning: Still planning Disneyland trip in February

NOTES THIS WEEK ON THE ZEN OF HEALTHY LIVING
We are working a lot of overtime on a huge software installation. Will be for another 6 months at least. We don't have time for normal housekeeping, activities, etc. We are just trying to stay sane and find time for exercising. The anxiety attack was a first for me. Will really have to watch sleep, and remember the Serenity Prayer. Am starting this journel also as a preventative measure. Here's to a healthy week next week!

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter