Gift Ideas for Men?

LJSquishy

DIS Veteran
I am at a total loss on what to buy for my father-in-law for Christmas. We have a budget of $75 or so. He is VERY hard to shop for and doesn't have any real interests that he persues...he is 62 years old and works full time.

He has always loved drawing but doesn't have time for it. He has a nice Nikon camera but I don't think we could get anything for $75 to go with it... He just got an iPhone 4 and I thought he might love an iHome alarm clock radio/charging dock for it but it seems that none get great reviews (that will fit an iPhone 4 with an Otterbox case on it).

He doesn't like clothes, does not drink alcohol, has movies galore, and is trying to declutter all of their "junk" that they don't use. He has a sensitive stomach so he doesn't eat sweets, gourmet foods, etc, He doesn't drink coffee (dang, no Keurig for him), he is very handy but has every tool imaginable. He loves baseball history but since he is decluttering I don't want to get him more "stuff" that will just sit around.

I mean, what else is there? I am so frustrated by this because he is just so impossible but will be upset if he doesn't get a gift and my mother-in-law does.

I'm tired of giving him gift cards to Home Depot/Lowes but I can't think of anything else. Ugh!

What about a magazine subscription? You could get him a gift card to someplace to have pictures printed once he takes them and then maybe give him a photo able with the gift card? I hate just giving gift cards so I try to add like a magazine/book to go with it.

I struggle with the inlaws every year.

Could you get him a trip to a baseball game at a future date, perhaps

Or a restaurant giftcard, unless he doesn't like to eat out much with his stomach issues.

Another thing my Dad loved was old baseball games on CD. I gave him some from the brookyn dodgers. I ordered them online here
http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheKnotHoleGang

But with short notice and shipping holding you back, you can probably download them from here and burn them yourself-
http://archive.org/details/baseball_otr

You say he has a sensitive stomach and so doesn't eat sweets/gourmet foods, but what does he eat? You could do something in the food line that goes back to basics, e.g. Omaha steaks, Harry & David fruit, etc.

I actually got my Mom a George Foreman grill this year :rotfl: She has various issues that make it difficult to cook like she once did, so we are trying to find ways that she can still cook healthily but a bit more safely/easily.

I got my nephew a bluetooth speaker to go with the iPhone 5 he is getting - how about something like that, if you can't find a docking station that works?

I am at a total loss on what to buy for my father-in-law for Christmas. We have a budget of $75 or so. He is VERY hard to shop for and doesn't have any real interests that he persues...he is 62 years old and works full time.

He has always loved drawing but doesn't have time for it. He has a nice Nikon camera but I don't think we could get anything for $75 to go with it... He just got an iPhone 4 and I thought he might love an iHome alarm clock radio/charging dock for it but it seems that none get great reviews (that will fit an iPhone 4 with an Otterbox case on it).

He doesn't like clothes, does not drink alcohol, has movies galore, and is trying to declutter all of their "junk" that they don't use. He has a sensitive stomach so he doesn't eat sweets, gourmet foods, etc, He doesn't drink coffee (dang, no Keurig for him), he is very handy but has every tool imaginable. He loves baseball history but since he is decluttering I don't want to get him more "stuff" that will just sit around.

I mean, what else is there? I am so frustrated by this because he is just so impossible but will be upset if he doesn't get a gift and my mother-in-law does.

I'm tired of giving him gift cards to Home Depot/Lowes but I can't think of anything else. Ugh!

Tickets to a sporting event? You can't buy NFL tickets for that price, but maybe a local AAA baseball team's game or a college basketball game? Or tickets to a play, museum, zoo, concert, etc.

How about a camera bag for his camera? Or a gift card so he can make a photo book from Snapfish or one of those other places, or a gift card from CVS so he can print some of his pictures.

Slippers, gloves, scarf/hat

an LED flashlight, some sort of gadgety tool (if he has lots of tools this still usually works, my FIL is always in need of new drill bits, for example) or a tool box to keep tools in.

Sounds like my 62 year old husband. His wish list included a remote control, toy type, helicopter. He also talked about an ice cream maker. I would think about getting him some sort of toy or hand held game. You know, they never really grow up.

Roadside emergency kit for his car
car wash tickets
Books on American history or World Wars ( I found that this is very popular among the men in my life around that age).
If he likes movies what about movie theater passes instead of DVDs
Tripod for his camera
Online photography course

$75.00 would buy 19 meals on wheels meals in rural Vermont. Why not donate the money in his name to his local meals on wheels? If he is still working full time find out if the company he works for supports the United Way, a local shelter, or other local nonprofit and make a donation in his name. Is he a Vet? You could donate to his local American Legion, or VFW, the money could be used towards flags. You could easily print a nice gift certificate or card and wrap that up for Christmas.

Thanks for the suggestions...I will run them by my husband tonight. I have never met someone so hard to shop for in my life...it really takes the fun out of it! I can easily come up with ideas for everyone else!

I have the same problem with my father-in-law. I agree that it is taking the fun out of gift buying. I was thrilled to read all of the replies! Great ideas! Perhaps I will be able to break out of the Home Depot/Lowes gift card buying cycle that I have also been stuck in!

Good luck with your shopping!

These are only $15 or so, but if he lives in a cold climate and spends any time outdoors at all, he may like a Zippo handwarmer. Got one for my (19 year old) son for his stocking.

Membership at a museum or club with his interests? Coupon for a weekend at a bed and breakfast that has a telescope and observatory experience? Train ride to someplace interesting? (just a day trip).

Enjoy your holidays!

pixiedust:

Rain Gauge, Bird Feeder, Bird House, Bird Bath, Sundial
Watch
GPS for car

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter