Getting to go - suggestions?

rachael95

DIS Veteran
Well, DH and I talked about it and had planned on waiting until we were out of debt before going to WDW. But with the Fairy Tale packages, we decided that it would be as much to do that as to take the cheaper vacation we'd planned this year.

He's been once about 12 years ago, I've only been to DTD. I have a sister who lives in Winterpark, but she and her hubby aren't really big Disney fans, so can't help much.

Any suggestions on must dos for me and DH? (we only get 1 vacation about once every 4 years. So I want to do/see as much as possible) I'm 28, he's 33, no kids. We're planning on going late Sept. staying in AKL savannah. Aside from the room, I'm trying to stay fairly cheap.

Though we're planning on $100/day food and will have a car.

Thanks for any help!

Hello Rachae,

First off, you're going to have a blast. You mention that you have a car, is this a rental? If so, you might want to drop the rental and take Mears from the airport. Mears charges somewhere like $27 round trip per person, check their web site for details: Mears

Disney has a good transportation system and you won't need a car unless unless you plan on heading off property, and even then you could probably rent one for one day. Food will probably cost you about $100 a day, but look to eat at their 'fast food' areas. Burger and fries, or chicken fingers and a soda will cost you under $10 per person...at least it did for me. I hope this helps. Have fun and let us know how your trip goes.

steven

Originally posted by BostonTigger
Hello Rachae,

First off, you're going to have a blast. You mention that you have a car, is this a rental? If so, you might want to drop the rental and take Mears from the airport.
steven

It is a rental but we will be driving down from Knoxville so it's not too long of a drive and neither of us care for airplanes.

My sis also lives near by Disney so we'll be driving over to visit them too and will need a car periodically.

Thanks for the suggestions though, I think we will be doing late lunches (a la KarenNY) instead of dinners at the nice places and going for the fast food like you've suggested.

do you like to party? then DD - PI is included in your UPH -

also for a change of pace - go visit the BW - but there is a cover charge on most of the nightclub there.

what do you like to do?

If you think that science and techology are fun - then definite Epcot - Future World. If you would like to travel to different countries - but don't have the time or money - then do World Showcase (the back of Epcot). This can be very romantic - there are lots of gardens - some are behind the pavillions so look and ask.

If you are young at heart (and that is eveyone on this board) then MK. Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain are the rollcoaser - but also don't miss Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise, Peter pan, Winne the Pooh and one of my favorites - the Mad Hatter Tea Party....

At the Studios - Tower of Terror, R&R and Star tours (my opinion) also sweet is the Under the Sea show, Beauty and the Beast, Great Movie Ride.

At AKL - Dinosaurs - I loved this!!!! plus all the living animals you want to see.

Originally posted by spiceycat
do you like to party? then DD - PI is included in your UPH -

also for a change of pace - go visit the BW - but there is a cover charge on most of the nightclub there.

what do you like to do?

If you would like to travel to different countries - but don't have the time or money - then do World Showcase (the back of Epcot). This can be very romantic - there are lots of gardens - some are behind the pavillions so look and ask.

I think we'll try to get over to BW, that does sound like it would be fun. I'd like to see the other hotels too. Epcot is the park I'm looking forward to the most. WS just sounds so fun to me. I think we'll do PI one, maybe two nights, but we're both kind of boring people. :) Not to me, but I guess others would call me boring.

as a famous author said there is such thing as a boring life - just different

I know what you mean I don't like to go to night clubs myself and I never even at WDW go alone unless I am meeting other people there. Now some of my friends go there all the time and have a ball.

but for a young couple - hey have fun - you are only young once so go enjoy yourself - just be sure to use the WDW transportation - not that you would have to much to drink - but if you aren't use to drinking (and I am not) - even one drink can get you into trouble trying to drive.

Epcot is my favorite park!!!

Originally posted by spiceycat
as a famous author said there is such thing as a boring life - just different

I know what you mean I don't like to go to night clubs myself and I never even at WDW go alone unless I am meeting other people there. Now some of my friends go there all the time and have a ball.

but for a young couple - hey have fun - you are only young once so go enjoy yourself - just be sure to use the WDW transportation - not that you would have to much to drink - but if you aren't use to drinking (and I am not) - even one drink can get you into trouble trying to drive.

Epcot is my favorite park!!!

Thanks :D We'd definitely not drink and drive. I felt guilty a year ago for Cinco de Mayo (last time I had alcohol) when I had a sip of DH margarita while eating chips before dinner and then drove a couple hours later.

I think I'll try not to be boring on vacation though.:jester: I'd almost rather take disney transporation though. It's Much easier finding your way when you're on a bus than trying to drive yourself in unknown territory.

Rachael

Here are some tips that have helped me save $$, but not take away from the trip:

1. Since you are driving there, bring food & drink with you. This will save you alot of money. Pack breakfast items (cereal, Pop-Tarts, cereal bars, etc.), snack items (chips, Doritoes, popcorn, etc.), sandwhich items (pb&j, bread, etc.) and especially bottled water. A bottle of water at the parks & in the resorts is like $2.50 each. You can also pick up wine or beer (if you drink either) for consumption in your room. Also, think about bringing a cooler with you, then stop at a grocery store and pcik up perishable items, such as milk, juice & cold meat for sandwiches and a bag of ice. You can refill the ice from the ice machines in your resort. This way you can have a quick breakfast before heading out to the parks, a light lunch, then enjoy a nice sit-down dinner.

2. Buy a free-refill mug at The Mara (AKL's foodcourt). If you are a coffee, soda or lemonade drinker, this will save you alot of money (plus it's a great souvie).

3. To save on gas, I would recommend using WDW transportation as much as possible.

4. Lunch is typically cheaper than dinner at alot of restaurants at WDW. Some of my favorite places to dine (besides the one's listed below) are Cindy's, Spoodle's, Concourse Steakhouse, Le Cellier, Rose & Crown, 50's Primetime, Sci Fi & Tusker House.
Why not try a buffet? Some really good one's are at the 1900 Park Fare & Crystal Palace. Also, O'Hana's, Liberty Tree Tavern & Garden Grill serve an all-you-can-eat dinner, served family style. These are really great places to dine too. These restaurants run between $17 & $22 per person and are totally worth the money.

5. Although it is very easy to go hog-wild on souvies, stop and think before grabbing everything you see. Souvies can really add up, so I try and limit myself to 1 tee shirt, a cd (if I don't already have it), 1 annual pictorial book (these I collect) and a little something for my family (like Mickey pens or pencils, a t-shirt, or an ornament). Oh, and of course some Mint Cookie Gems (LOVE THESE).

6. Bring plenty of film for your camera & tapes for your camcorder. These are pretty expensive in the parks & resorts.

Let's see.... I know there is more, but will have to think of it and post again.

Hope these help you and have a great trip!!!

Wow! Thanks for all the suggestions, those will really help. I have a feeling we'll be making a strip to Sam's for some cases of water and food.

Rachael

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter