Getting Through Airport on Crutches

DisneyRegulars

DIS Veteran
Hi All,

Any tips on getting through an airport on crutches by yourself? I will have a bag to check. I usually bring a roller bag, but I’m not sure how I could maneuver that myself on crutches. Should I use a backpack instead? What do you do with your crutches on the plane?

Any other tips or things I should be thinking about?

Hi All,

Any tips on getting through an airport on crutches by yourself? I will have a bag to check. I usually bring a roller bag, but I’m not sure how I could maneuver that myself on crutches. Should I use a backpack instead? What do you do with your crutches on the plane?

Any other tips or things I should be thinking about?

Well, I think a backpack would be just the way to go. Even a "spinner" bag would be difficult on crutches. Have you considered using wheelchair assistance at the airport? That would give you a nice break from trying to get through the concourses.

On the plane, the flight attendants will take your crutches after you are settled, and stow them in a closet. If you need to get up for any reason (to try and squish into the tiny restroom, for example LOL) then they can bring them back to you.

Are you going to rent an ECV for WDW?

Well, I think a backpack would be just the way to go. Even a "spinner" bag would be difficult on crutches. Have you considered using wheelchair assistance at the airport? That would give you a nice break from trying to get through the concourses.

On the plane, the flight attendants will take your crutches after you are settled, and stow them in a closet. If you need to get up for any reason (to try and squish into the tiny restroom, for example LOL) then they can bring them back to you.

Are you going to rent an ECV for WDW?

Do you have any idea how wheel chair assistance works? Is it something I pay for? How do I go about acquiring it? My home airport is relatively small, so i could maybe manage it, though any distance at all on crutches is exhausting.

I have a wheel chair company coming with both a manual wheel chair and a ECV to see which will work best for me and my straight leg brace.

I’ve done this many times. Granted I use forearm crutches so not as bulky as regular crutches, but the same idea. Yes you want a backpack. You don’t want anything that throws weight to one side or the other. That can really throw you off. I can roll a wheeled suitcase from the curb to check in, but I have the ability to shift my crutches to one hand and use the bag for balance on the other side for that long. Not everyone can.

What kind of distance are you comfortable with on them? A wheelchair might might be a better idea depending.

Do you have any idea how wheel chair assistance works? Is it something I pay for? How do I go about acquiring it? My home airport is relatively small, so i could maybe manage it, though any distance at all on crutches is exhausting.

I have a wheel chair company coming with both a manual wheel chair and a ECV to see which will work best for me and my straight leg brace.

You can arrange that through your airline - be sure to call sooner rather than later; you don't want to try and do that at the last minute! Let them know you will need assistance at your home airport (and any connecting airports) as well as MCO. Typically if I use that service, I tip the "pusher" at least $5, and at least $10 if it's a longer layover and they take me to the restroom, or Starbucks, etc. FYI - at some airports they are required to stay with you until you board the aircraft unless you specifically "dismiss" them. Disclaimer: I have had my personal mobility device for more than 5 years now, so procedures may be different - again I encourage you to reach out to your airline.

Remember that unless you have been training your arms and shoulders to self-propel a standard wheelchair, by the end of the first day (if you make it that far) your arms will be limp noodles, and you likely won't go anywhere the next day! An ECV will give you freedom, your arms and shoulders will thank you, and you can still carry your crutches with you if need be. Practice at the Resort for about 15 minutes - see how it turns (and how it feels to make a tight u-turn) and practice things like backing up, going up and down ramps and curb cuts, and driving through dining areas and shops. That will get you going - and we can give you tons of other tips for new ECV drivers if you want/need :)

I have traveled with two people who needed wheelchair assistance on two different airlines the last year. Both people could walk short distances. We arranged it by contacting the airlines. We found a phone number online. There was no charge but we did tip. They met us when we walked in the door to the airport and someone always pushed the chair until we boarded the plane, and they were right there waiting when we got off the plane. They could not have been nicer or more helpful! Check it out, it's well worth it.

if you can, get a porter to push you around from check in to the gate(WC assistance) . do curbside check in if possible. you can then board early using the crutches. the cabin attendant will stash them for you up front . then arrange to have WC assistance at the end of your flight to get you to the baggage claim. ( and any connecting flights)

WC assistance is free, although you should tip them generously.

small lightweight Backpack.

In 2017 I was in a walking boot pre-ankle surgery but didn't need crutches. My doctor told me to arrange for wheelchair assistance at the airport, and I am glad I did. I arranged it online with the airline. After checking our bags, they had me sit nearby until the chair arrived. The service was free, but I tipped.

Will they help me get my checked luggage and out to an uber when I arrive?

I don't know if they can/will - but be careful at MCO (Orlando) airport; over the years, we have often been approached by "freelancers" that will offer skycap type services, in exchange for a tip, of course. They are typically men (we have never encountered a woman doing this) and they most often have a "Smart Cart" or sometimes what appears to be a personal cart, and they will approach you (they seem to prey on the disabled) and be quite friendly.

Since I always have a family member with me, and we always use Disney's Magical Express, I have a built-in excuse to politely decline their "services". I'm all for rewarding anyone willing to work hard, but when it comes to my luggage, or my personal mobility device, I'm real picky about who gets to handle that.

If you can use a backpack for your carryon, that can go on the handlebars of your wheelchair. Add a spinner suitcase (so that you can easily guide it alongside of you)as a checked bag and if needed, maybe a smaller bag if needed that can be either attached to the spinner or held on your lap. You can always use a luggage strap to (for example) hold 2 spinners together, or drag one after another.

I don't know if they can/will - but be careful at MCO (Orlando) airport; over the years, we have often been approached by "freelancers" that will offer skycap type services, in exchange for a tip, of course. They are typically men (we have never encountered a woman doing this) and they most often have a "Smart Cart" or sometimes what appears to be a personal cart, and they will approach you (they seem to prey on the disabled) and be quite friendly.

Since I always have a family member with me, and we always use Disney's Magical Express, I have a built-in excuse to politely decline their "services". I'm all for rewarding anyone willing to work hard, but when it comes to my luggage, or my personal mobility device, I'm real picky about who gets to handle that.

If you can use a backpack for your carryon, that can go on the handlebars of your wheelchair. Add a spinner suitcase (so that you can easily guide it alongside of you)as a checked bag and if needed, maybe a smaller bag if needed that can be either attached to the spinner or held on your lap. You can always use a luggage strap to (for example) hold 2 spinners together, or drag one after another.
Thanks for the warning!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter